News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sandy Smith

Sand and Golf by George Waters
« on: November 06, 2013, 05:23:04 PM »
I hope everyone can support George Waters and order a copy of his new book Sand and Golf.
I first met George when he and Tony Russell shaped the bunkers at Marine Drive GC under the watch of Jim Urbina.
George is a very talented and knowledgable young man who spent this past summer in Edmonton with Jeff Mingay and is now reunited with Tony and Jim on a project in Chicago. I'm certain his book will must read for all members of GCA.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1939621038/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1383773566&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Bill_McBride

Re: Sand and Golf by George Waters
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 10:04:38 PM »
Sandy, great to see you on GCA.com.  It was really fun meeting you in BC summer 2012. 

Cheers
Bill

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 06:57:02 AM »
I received my copy of the book about a month ago.  It's a beautiful book, and pretty insightful.

George was one of our interns when I started up the program full time in 2003 or 04.  He worked on the crew at Barnbougle, and later at Sebonack and Rock Creek and The Renaissance Club.  Since then he has worked mostly for others, but I hope I'll get to work with him again one of these days.  He ought to be running projects and not just part of the crew ... there just aren't that many projects to run.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 12:12:19 PM »
Anyone who frequents this web site needs to get a copy of George's book. It's been made clear above, but I can attest as well that the subject is unique, the writing's very good and insightful, and the photography (all George's) is exceptional.

Tom D.,

George is more than "part of the crew" on my jobs - Derrick, Victoria, Overlake... - which I'm thankful for.
jeffmingay.com

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 12:31:18 PM »
I'm half way through. I've found a couple of things I don't totally agree with George on, but it's a great read and it looks wonderful. Definitely recommended.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

JC Urbina

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 02:16:47 PM »
Sandy,

You are correct this book is a must read for all who are interested in Sand and Golf.  I can attest to his devotion to golf course architecture.  I have been working with George Waters since he first joined me as an intern at The Mid Ocean Club where we spent several weeks reshaping the greens for re-grassing at Mid Ocean.  He has assisted me with the work at Yeamans Hall, Pasatiempo,Sebonack,Marine Drive, The Dunes Club, Paramount Club and too many others to count.  We have spent several days walking and playing some of the coolest golf courses and many days we debate the merits of all of them including one of your favorites in British Columbia, Stanley Thompson's  Capilano.

It's the other way around in my opinion, George keeps and eye on me. Just last week we toured Chicago Golf Club and discussed the land forms of Macdonald and Raynor.  He is constantly gathering information and studying the many facets of golf course architecture.

Whether it's dunes land, farm land, coastal or rock he understands the medium that works best and chose to write about it in book form.

Adam,

You may not agree  but he does get the reader to understand the qualities of Sand and its role in the greatest golf courses ever constructed.

I would put this in the Christmas Gift ideas for anyone interested in learning more about Golf Course Architecture

Howard Riefs

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 02:37:34 PM »

I would put this in the Christmas Gift ideas for anyone interested in learning more about Golf Course Architecture

Done.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Brian Chapin

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 04:51:55 PM »
I knew this was coming, but didn't realize it had been released.  Congrats to George!  

Jeff, I agree George is far more than just part of the crew, and I also agree with Tom that he should be running his own project.  He deserves a lot of credit for the work we did at Paramount.  He is as creative as they come and is a real pleasure to work with.

I'm looking forward to reading the book.

Sandy Smith

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 12:15:22 PM »
Jim,

You are totally correct on George keeping an eye on you. I apologize for once trying to be nice.
Obviously this threw you for a loop!

Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Paul_Daley

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 07:01:35 PM »
Congratulations George on getting "Sand and Golf" to market. It was clear from reading the manuscript that this wouldn't be your first and last publication. The publication represents an excellent blend of original thoughts on the game and industry, and appealing photography. Keep it going young fellow, you have talent!

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 04:40:47 AM »
Ordered.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 10:13:20 PM »
Our esteemed Director of Agronomy at Bandon Dunes, Ken Nice, received his copy from George today........an impressive volume, showing (IMO) nuance, sensitivitiy of thought and photo, balance of venues, and enthusiasm for the subject matter.

A heartfelt thumbs-up, George!!

Best,
Tom
the pres

David Kelly

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 04:41:08 PM »
Just received my copy yesterday so I haven't read it yet but it has some of the best photographs I've seen in a golf book in a while.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 04:54:52 PM »
Thanks for posting this, Sandy.  I wasn't aware of the book before, but it's on order now.

Josh Smith

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 09:59:19 AM »
This book is fantastic.  On page 27 now and love what I have read/seen so far.  Great photos as mentioned above !!

Norbert P

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 03:40:53 PM »
  Congratulations to George for writing this book.  Perhaps you can autograph it for me one day.    George did excellent work at Mid Pines this past winter and heroically survived unscathed in battles against a ravenous hoard of feral swamp dogs.   (Dishlickers)

Write on, George
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 03:42:55 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

David_Tepper

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 05:30:27 PM »
George Waters will be discussing his book (and signing copies) at the San Francisco Public Golf Association's Holiday Party, Thursday, December 5, at Sharp Park.

http://sfpublicgolf.com/announcements/holiday-party-and-book-launch-for-sand-and-golf-how-terrain-shapes-the-game  

William_G

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2013, 06:52:45 PM »
Got this for Christmas and love the pics and descriptions of what makes sand based golf the best.

Forward by Tom Doak helps set the stage.

Highly recommend for anyone who plays any links golf or links style golf.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 02:27:30 PM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

John Crowley

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2013, 07:34:03 PM »
Sand and Golf has just been named the GCA Book of the year.
Deservedly so!
The photos are great but this is not a coffee-table book.
The text is deeply insightful.
George has an understanding of golf and golf grounds that belies his young age (35).
Reading between the lines I suspect he is a reasonably good player also.

Only half way through it but so far it is a gem.

JWL

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
George,
I asked Santa for your book and he delivered.
Glanced through it and it looks terrific.
Congratulations on job well done!
JWL

Paul Gray

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 03:17:12 PM »
Christmas being what it is I've only managed to get to the second chapter so far but seemingly an excellent book. With a nice combination of written word and pictures it could well be the sort of book to introduce to someone that perhaps wants to know more about the game but isn't too much of a scholar as yet.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 09:47:38 AM »
I was on the phone with George yesterday for ten to fifteen minutes. We talked golf, golf courses, said very little about the book, then placed my order. Seems to be the kind of guy with whom a brief phone conversation is insufficient. With luck, we can get him back to the east coast some time soon on a build or who knows what.

To say I'm anticipating the arrival of the book is accurate.

To those who wish to order, I highly encourage you to do so via telephone. You'll get a free conversation with a fine fellow as a bonus.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 03:12:30 PM »
If anyone in the Pebble Beach or Monterey area is interested, George is appearing this Friday at Pacific Grove Golf Links for a discussion on his book.  His talks shed more light on this topic and are very well done.  

Happy hour at 4pm and discussion at 5.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 03:14:20 PM by Joel_Stewart »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 05:48:15 AM »
Damn good book. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it and look forward to re-visiting it. Great photos. Well done George for writing it.
atb

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 08:00:19 PM »
If anyone in the Pebble Beach or Monterey area is interested, George is appearing this Friday at Pacific Grove Golf Links for a discussion on his book.  His talks shed more light on this topic and are very well done.  

Happy hour at 4pm and discussion at 5.

A bump to remind anyone in Monterey to stop by and see George at Pacific Grove tomorrow night.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back