News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Sourcing Photos for The Confidential Guide - Scotland
« on: November 03, 2013, 06:23:46 PM »
With Ran's permission, I'd like to see if any of you are interested in providing photos for the new edition of The Confidential Guide.

My text is mostly complete for Volume 1, which covers 291 courses in Great Britain and Ireland.  Now comes the difficult part, of marrying text with photos.  The book is not intended as a coffee-table volume, but having some very good pictures scattered through it is important.

In the original book, 99% of the photos used were my own.  That won't be possible this time around, because there was a ten-year period when I put photography aside, and I do not have photos of many of the courses covered in the book.  I do have three contributors who have agreed to share what they have, which will get me a long way toward what I need; I don't intend to include a photo of every course, or even half of them.  By the same token, I don't want the gaps in my photo collection to drive which courses get more attention, and which get less.

The deal would be, for every photo you contribute that's used in the book, you will receive a free copy of the book.  [If I want to use more than one, you can take multiple copies, or defer some free books to future volumes, if you want.]

I'm sure I will need similar help for England and Ireland later on, but I'm starting slowly to make sure I don't lose track of who sent what.  I'm laying out the book with Scotland first, so I'll start there.  So, if you have a good photo or two from Scotland that you think might be useful for the book, please email me at confguidegolf@gmail.com and send an example.  I do have many of the courses well covered, but I would be interested in finding pictures of the following:

Askernish
Blairgowrie
Brora
Carnoustie
Castle Stuart

Elie
Gleneagles
Gullane
Kilspindie
Loch Lomond

Lundin Links
Machrihanish Dunes
Murcar
Musselburgh Old Links

Scotscraig
Shiskine
Tain
Western Gailes

Thank you,

Tom D

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 04:01:09 PM by Tom_Doak »

Bryan Izatt

Re: Sourcing Photos for The Confidential Guide - Scotland
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 06:49:08 PM »
I have pictures of Brora, Carnoustie, Gullane #2, Lundin Links,  and Musselburgh Old that I could send you.  Do you want the full sized pictures?  They might clog up your mail box.  Is there anything in particular about any of the courses that you want to highlight in the pictures?  And, do you mind people in the picture?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 06:52:08 PM by Bryan Izatt »

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 07:55:45 PM »
I have a bunch from Gullane, any particular style??. Landscape, specific features etc?  Have some nice ones of the anti tank barricades.
Will gladly swap for a round at Stonewall. Some nice bars afterward too.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 04:03:47 PM »
Wow ... my mailbox was starting to fill up with photos, from 25 different sources so far.  Thanks for all the submissions; please excuse me if it takes me a week or two to get back to you all.

I've created a new gmail account to handle this correspondence, and keep it separate from my already-overlowing personal email, and have changed the address for submissions in my first post accordingly.  No need to re-send anything you've sent before.

John Butler

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 12:49:41 PM »
What is your new email address for submissions?  I have photos from several of these courses to send you.  Thanks.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 02:01:11 PM »
tom, makes me sad that you aren't seeking a photo of the machrie which is one of the most unique & thrilling courses in the world, a doak scale 9 in my book

Bill:

I've been to The Machrie, and have good photos of it, from 1983.  One of them might be included in the book.  But, it's not a 9 on the real Doak scale.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 03:37:31 PM »

This thread sent me back to look at the images I posted on here of Elie, which are fond memories for me..

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,50582.0.html

Sadly they show how inadequate I am compared to a professional snapper, but they do show that this course offers some real possibilities for the right cameraman.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 06:32:10 PM »
Ah the timeless charms of Elie!

Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Mark_F

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 07:07:17 PM »
Sadly they show how inadequate I am compared to a professional snapper, but they do show that this course offers some real possibilities for the right cameraman.

I don't know about that Tony - this one is pretty evocative. :)

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 08:40:17 PM »

I don't know about that Tony - this one is pretty evocative. :)

I can't help but compare that greensite and stunning background to the pictures of 16 at Trump Aberdeen.
One compliments and seamlessly fits into the landscape. The other competes with it.
For a better player, I would argue short left would be MORE severely punished than if it were littered with pot bunkers, and the thought of that miss would reward a variety of creative shotmaking, as well as accomodating the higher handicapper better.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Chris DeToro

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 08:25:08 AM »
All I can say is wow--that is one of the most amazing pictures I have ever seen...

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 12:50:11 PM »
Jeff,

You're absolutely right.  Short left (or short at all, anything short gets fed left) gives an incredibly difficult up and down.  A bunker would be an easy option.  I'm surprised that, as well travelled as you are, you haven't seen Elie!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 08:55:18 AM »
I'm sure you will/have found better, but I came across these Castle Stuart photos from a few years ago that I quite like.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:23:41 AM by Tom Kelly »

Jason Topp

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 09:19:20 AM »
I don't think this one belongs in the book but I enjoy it.  Finishing at Brora around 10:30 pm:

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 09:41:32 AM »
I'll forward a few from Kilspindie and Carnoustie.

My favorite from Kilspindie:

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill Crane

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 12:48:55 PM »
TD:

Did you get enough from Brora ?  I have a few from early September this year, although some were a tad dark due to a passing shower.

Will have to make sure I can identify the holes.  My wife's pictures all had sheep in them!

Wm Flynnfan

BCowan

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 10:50:51 PM »
Castle Stuart

Wow I am blown away, those are some amazing photos.  I have never played across the pond and you are making me want to sell my business and caddy over there the rest of my life!  If i played Castle Stuart I wouldn't come back!

Parker Reeves

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 05:51:33 PM »
I will send over some pictures of Western Gailes, I was there in August.  I look forward to seeing the new book!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back