News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_Overdorf

Bent Creek C.C.
« on: July 04, 2003, 05:35:51 PM »
What can you tell me about Bent Creek in Lancaster, Pa.?

Mike_Cirba

Re:Bent Creek C.C.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2003, 09:01:17 AM »
Bill;

It might be the only Jay Morrish course in the eastern US.  

It features some bold bunkering, a few gambling short par fours, and a handful of standout holes.  

Aesthetically, the number of houses build along the edges (although they are attractive homesites) detract somewhat from the natural feel of the course and in a few cases (i.e. #1) create somewhat narrow corridors between them.  

The greens are superbly maintained, with "bent" being the operative word.  They were very pure when I played there two years ago, and the maintenance crew takes great pride in them.  The Superintendent also enjoys seeing the multitude of bunkers play as hazards, and they are maintained well enough, but not meticulously if you catch my drift.

On the whole, it's a course that puts a premium on solid driving, simply because approach shots simply aren't accepted well from non-preferred areas.  

Perhaps Justin Zook can weigh in.  

Justin_Zook

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2003, 01:38:48 PM »
Bill

Bent Creek is a good young golf course (only 11 years old).

I have worked there during the summers of 2001 and 2002 and I have grown quite familier with the place.

While it is a good golf course, it still needs to come into its own.  That will happen as the the course becomes more grown in with trees.  

It has some of the absolute best turf conditions anywhere.  

The bunkers are due for a renovation soon.  

The course with time will become one of the nicest in PA.
We make a living by what we get...we make a life by what we give.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2003, 01:46:20 PM »
Justin, don't let a lot of GCA'ers hear you talking about the course improving as the trees grow in!  That is nearly heresy!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2003, 01:46:39 PM by Bill_McBride »

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2003, 05:58:08 PM »
Played a lot of golf at Bent Creek since it opened. Almost every hole has something of interest and the course has a good deal of variety. The interesting holes are #6 a driveable multi-optional par 4, and also the same multi-optional driveable par 4 at #17. A very good balance of par 3s, 4s and 5s.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back