News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jimmy Muratt

Victoria National, one of Fazio's best?
« on: August 05, 2003, 02:14:41 PM »
Who here has had the chance to play Victoria National?  After reading the GCA profile and checking out their website, it definitely looks like one of Tom Fazio's best courses.  The par 3's look very unique and it has a strong closing stretch of holes.   The greens also look much more interesting than Fazio's typical boring greens.

What are your impressions of the course and the club?  I was surprised to notice that it's ranked #49 in Golf Digest's list of America's Top 100.  

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re:Victoria National, one of Fazio's best?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 03:21:59 PM »
Our resident friend of sweet men everywhere Barny is a member there. Where is Jaka B?

JLahrman

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 03:29:06 PM »
Are they completely private?  Their website is much glitzier than I would expect from any course not trying to attract some one day business.

Doug Wright

Twitter: @Deneuchre

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2003, 04:18:42 PM »
Yes, Victoria National is among Fazio's very best works but it should be as the property was so special/unique with which to begin.

The severe 16th green complex should never have had a tee built past ~160 yards from the green and something doesn't make sense with the split 13th fairway but in both instances, I am led to believe the owner was involved. Otherwise, the design is very solid with wide fairways to make the course playable on a regular basis and as you say, a fine set of greens. Holes 2, 3, and 12 are great favorites in particular.

Also, personally I appreciate the time and thought that has gone into making the course walker friendly. Unlike many of Fazio's high profile courses like Wild Dunes and Wade Hampton, this isn't a housing development track. Thus, I imagine the peace and solitude that the course affords the golfer in the late afternoon as the shadows lengthen must be truly special.

A Shell's Wonderful World of Golf match play (more so than stroke) should be contested here. Seeing an ace golfer give the two shot 12th a go from the tee or the 15th green a crack in two from a downhill lie would be great fun.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: August 10, 2003, 04:19:58 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2003, 05:02:23 PM »
Not to me.  It's probably the hardest course he's ever built, and so it appeals to those who like 'em hard, but I think the GOLF Magazine list has it placed about right ... not in the top 100.

T_MacWood

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2003, 05:26:10 PM »
I went to Victoria listening to all the criticisms--Fazio only builds beautiful, playable, strategic-light courses. VN is both challenging and strategic. When he builds a tough course he gets criticized for it being too difficult--he can't win. If you play from the correct tees and your game is relatively sharp, I don't believe the course is actually that difficult relatively speeking. Although mistakes can be punished severely. One of the unique sites in golf, I would've preferred more of the wild wastes piles in play but the developer was against that idea.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back