News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Re: Bandon Dunes - critiques
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2013, 11:29:30 AM »
It is the most playable of the four.  The gorse removal was quite a relief to me, because it really made many holes too punitive, IMHO.  I can see why the resort would want to have one of the courses be a "breather", because the other three can be very difficult.  I typically try to play BD after the morning round, because it is a quicker round and because it has returning nines in case one of us only wants to play 27 and then head to the Preserve.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

William_G

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2013, 11:51:36 AM »
Bandon was a much better course in its first years before the resort began its gorse-and fescue eradication campaign.  For reasons I can only ascribe to improved pace of play, i,e., $,  DMK's brilliant design has been horribly compromised.  It's a shame, and simply disingenuous of the resort to defend itself by claiming "the gorse was taking over".   Holes described here as "weak" had much higher shot values and required a more strategic, thinking-golfer's approach.  There was also an enhanced, otherworldly sense of isolation that has been lost, as well as many wonderful "wow" moments.  It's simply not the same course, not as high a quality design as it once was, and not as much fun.  But it's still pretty damn good.  

no doubt the gorse removal has been massive and made it wide open where it used to be corridors of gorse in a special setting

eg. you can now see the ocean out past the 5th fairway from the 4th tee, where you used to only see a dogleg fairway and gorse

from the 7th tee you can now se the 4th green and the ocean beyond

more buena vistas   8)

the course is now much easier on the errant shot

since most of the employees/caddies were not there at the opening, they believe the gorse removal to be a restoration to how it was, which is not the case
It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2013, 11:56:04 AM »
Bandon was a much better course in its first years before the resort began its gorse-and fescue eradication campaign.  For reasons I can only ascribe to improved pace of play, i,e., $,  DMK's brilliant design has been horribly compromised.  It's a shame, and simply disingenuous of the resort to defend itself by claiming "the gorse was taking over".   Holes described here as "weak" had much higher shot values and required a more strategic, thinking-golfer's approach.  There was also an enhanced, otherworldly sense of isolation that has been lost, as well as many wonderful "wow" moments.  It's simply not the same course, not as high a quality design as it once was, and not as much fun.  But it's still pretty damn good.  

I also find that they usually have a handful of tees bumped forward, so the course does not play to the scorecard length.

I have mentioned several times on here that I think 17 has lost some teeth.  It used to play longer and tougher.

In fairness to the resort, I have been told that there was a concerted effort to make BD the most playable of the courses on site.

they can stretch Bandon Dunes out quite a bit, and it is simply brilliant that they do not list on the scorecard anything approaching 7000 yards.

those tees can only be found in the yardage guide

when it was the only course, all tees were marked and played by yours truly...now not so much, LOL
It's all about the golf!

John Cowden

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2013, 12:04:15 PM »
And don't forget the "hidden" tees, for example, at nos. 2 and 17, making for entirel different holes.  But, again, it's not the course it was designed to be.  Yes, it plays easier, but it's current iteration has broken the hearts ofa number of golfers who knew it when.

Ari Techner

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2013, 09:43:46 PM »
Ari, I hope we get to play together at Bandon someday or at Eugene.

No doubt Mr. Keiser has/had the retail golfer in mind at all the courses as Trails has been made easier/more playable at almost every hole, and Pacific's greens are milder than a typical Doak private course. and at Old Mac you can hit it anywhere, almost.

So what you are saying is that the better the golfer the less they like Bandon Dunes and the more they like Pacific and that you are the low handicapper?

8)

William, that would be great.  It has been a while since I have played ECC or Bandon.  I need to make it back.  I havent seen the new fairway bunker on 4 at ECC. 

As to your last question, yes in my experience and yes. 

I also agree with the sentiment posted that Bandon was much better years ago that it is now.  I loved all the gorse everywhere. 

William_G

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2013, 10:39:06 PM »
Ari,

Yes moving that bunker was very subtle on #4.

We are still working on the new architect of record, or maybe I just haven't heard the final decision.

Just a couple of days ago I was at Bandon and the old tees on #2 were in plain view whereas before you would never have seen them nor imagined them, same for the Keiser tee on #17 at 162 yds. out.

thanks
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back