News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Hickory Club Maker - T. Stewart?
« on: November 18, 2013, 10:30:20 AM »
Ran across a beautiful club at an antique mall this weekend.  Maker is T. Stewart of St. Andrews and it a highly lofted club with "L" and "Niblick" stamped on the toe.  Clubhead looked like it was made yesterday.  Grip was in great shape but felt as though the shaft was broken underneath it.

Is this a noted club-maker and how difficult is it to replace the shaft on such a club - or should one just leave it unused as-is?

Bogey

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 10:35:43 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sven Nilsen

Re: Hickory Club Maker - T. Stewart?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 10:38:35 AM »
Bogey:

Google is probably your best friend on this one.

Or this old thread:  http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45687.0/

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Brian Finn

Re: Hickory Club Question
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 10:38:43 AM »
Tom Stewart - definitely a noted club maker.  Those that play original hickories these days seek his clubs above most/all others.

Niblick would be  a wedge of roughly 48 to 56 degrees in loft.  

L stamp most likely indicates this was a Ladies club...probably a bit lighter clubhead.

Regarding shaft replacement - there are some very skilled restoration experts (Tim Alpaugh is a friend of several guys on this site)...if you intended to use the club for play (vs. display), it sounds like you would need a new shaft.

Hopefully, Tom Dunne, Jud T, Chris Hufnagel, et al will see this, as they (among others) can provide you more specific insight.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Rees Milikin

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 10:42:01 AM »
Ran across a beautiful club at an antique mall this weekend.  Maker is T. Stewart of St. Andrews and it a highly lofted club with "L" and "Niblick" stamped on the toe.  Clubhead looked like it was made yesterday.  Grip was in great shape but felt as though the shaft was broken underneath it.

Is this a noted club-maker and how difficult is it to replace the shaft on such a club - or should one just leave it unused as-is?

Bogey

You weren't in FL were you?  The Renninger Antique Mall in Mt. Dora, FL had one of their 3 really big shows this weekend and I saw a fair amount of old hickory clubs, but since I have no knowledge on them, I didn't buy any.

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 10:45:12 AM »
Tom Stewart was the man.  Unfortunately you just missed the auction of the late great GCAer Ralph Livingston III's collection of Stewart clubs in Pinehurst.  There are a number of skilled craftsmen who can refurbish these clubs for play.  Find a copy of Ralph's landmark book on Stewart irons if u can.  Check your IM...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 10:50:34 AM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 12:06:04 PM »
I have become a big fan of hickory golf and Tom Stewart - both thanks to the late Ralph Livingston III.

There is a great interview with him from 2004 under the "Feature Interview" tab above, the link is below...

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-ralph-livingston/

Tom Stewart was born in 1861 and became one of the most respected makers of irons in his time - clubs used by Bobby Jones and Francis Ouimet, among others.  He forged clubs in St. Andrews and at the height of their operation they were making up to 50,000 heads per month.  Stewart was famous for making high quality clubs and being a stickler for quality.  Stewart died shortly after his retirement in 1931.

Ralph wrote the definitive book on Stewart and as Jud noted, if you are interested, I would try to get your hands on a copy soon.  A very limited hardcover edition was published along with a larger run of paperbacks and I wouldn't guess a second edition would be in the plans.  It is certainly the definitive book on Tom Stewart.

Giving Ralph's passion for the game and for being an evangelist for Stewart, he certainly was successful in bringing more attention to this maker and as such, the prices for his clubs have gone up considerably over the past few years.

Stewart's are not all that uncommon given how many they produced during the height of their production, but some clubs are very valuable based on the usual circumstances - scarcity of a model (i.e. Giant niblick), some famous association with a player (FO/RTJ's), or even a simple dot punch which denoted that club as being personally inspected by Tom Stewart himself (estimated at 1 out of 50) – this was usually for a new model or for a player of prominence.

Mullock's Auction house conducted an auction earlier this month in Pinehurst, the vast majority of Ralph's collection was sold at auction that evening - both to buyers in the room and bidders from around the world.  eBay currently has quite a few Stewarts up right now, but as with any internet purchase, buyer beware.  Some of the prices listed under the "Buy Now" button are a bit steep in my limited knowledge, so it will be interesting to see if they sell.

As for hickories today, there are quite a few resources for getting them refurbished and into playable condition.  I am really new to hickories and certainly a novice when it comes to Stewarts, but I can say the hickory golf community is very welcoming and quick to help answer questions.

As for hickory golf in general, it is certainly a harder way to play the game no doubt, but to me it is almost more fun.  You have to think a bit more, navigate your way around the course, and exercise a bit more patience - but the rewards are higher in my opinion.  It is not all that easy to explain and two years ago I had little to no interest in giving it a go - why make a hard game even harder?  But Ralph convinced me otherwise and for him and his enthusiasm, I will always be thankful...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:01:43 PM by Chris Hufnagel »

Tom Dunne

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 12:24:57 PM »
Great posts here so far. I never met Ralph Livingston, but for his central role in re-awakening the world to hickory golf in general, and the brilliance of Tom Stewart in particular, I consider him one of golf's heroes of the past 20-30 years. I'm fortunate to own two Stewarts--a 2-iron and a mashie lofted at 29*. They both play as well, if not better, than my modern Mizunos and are no more difficult to hit. As hard as it is to find lefty Stewarts, Ralph's book is even more scarce.  

Anyway, Michael, get that niblick restored and enjoy! I wouldn't worry too much about the value of the original shaft--Stewart's clubs were meant to be played, not sitting above a bar somewhere.  

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 12:56:30 PM »
Michael,

What a great find, well done for spotting it. Clubs are meant to be played not just looked at, so get your TS niblick restored and hitting balls again asap!

Chris,

couldn't agree more when you say As for hickory golf in general, it is certainly a harder way to play the game no doubt, but to me it is almost more fun.  You have to think a bit more, navigate your way around the course, and exercise a bit more patience - but the rewards are higher in my opinion, and, IMO, you get to appreciate golf course architecture in a different way as well, especially on a course that hasn't been lengthened/bunkers repositioned to compensate for the new age equipment.

All the best

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 01:39:22 PM »
Buying hickory clubs is a minefield, so if you don't know the difference between a pipe, a snake, a star and a bishop's mitre, steer well clear. I bought a few duds on Ebay a couple of years ago from supposedly reputable sellers. I won't be doing it again.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back