News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Ralph Plummer
« on: November 03, 2013, 05:10:43 PM »
LOVELY PROFILE OF Tryall recently by  Ran.  Has anyone played there or familiar of other  engaging courses by Plummer

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 05:22:28 PM by mark chalfant »

Matthew Rose

Re: Ralph Plummer
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 05:23:19 PM »
The only other course of his that I know of is Champions, which as far as I know doesn't get talked about here much. Haven't seen it since a couple of Tour Championships many years back.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 05:31:35 PM »
There is an informative and well written "In MY Opinion" piece on Plummer by Lou Duran and Jeff Brauer.

Don't stop at the end, read Jeff's Email to Lou.  
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Chris Wegner

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 05:59:39 PM »
While not being able to offer much on the extent of the work Mr. Plummer did in his career, I can state the Tryall is one terrific golf course.  Having family that reside in Jamaica allowed me the opportunity to vacation on the island many times, I always do my best to find my way on the course at Tryall.

Ran's updated photo tour does a great job of showing off the course.  Remember to enjoy a Red Stripe overlooking the ocean following your round, no better place to recap the day.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 08:28:04 PM »
Tryall, Champions, and Preston Trails are probably his most famous courses but he also did Dallas Athletic which hosted the 64 PGA. I think Plummer wouldn't be a site favorite around here because it seems that he liked trees, a lot. I know Jeff Brauer and Lou Duran did an interesting piece on him, I think both were members at Great Southwest which I think is a very underrated Plummer design.

Jeff Blume might have some insight having just redone Texas A&M Golf Course. Plummer did a lot of fun stuff, nothing groundbreaking but enjoyable places to play. Eastern Hills in Garland is a very under the radar solid course, Hillcrest in Lubbock was the class of The Panhandle until The Rawls came along. I know our own Mike Beene is a big fan of Ridgewood in Waco. I think The Honors (used to be called Columbian) is solid and Wichita Falls CC is pretty good.

Like most architects he's done some crap but I don't know how much of that was him and how much of it was what he had to work with. Oak Grove and Pharoahs could both be nominees for worst courses ever.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back