News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

Marram grass @TOC
« on: November 01, 2013, 12:49:33 PM »
http://blog.standrews.org.uk/?p=927

We've added the Marram grass to give the area more of a links look and feel.

Autumn renovations
We’ve had a busy last few weeks on the Old Course with autumn renovation works taking place. We have been overseeding many areas including greens, tees, fairways  and semi-roughs to strengthen the swards of grass.

The other main task over the last week or so has been the planting of Marram grass on the 7th hole. This is the area where we removed gorse last year and reseeded the area with new grass. Now we’ve added the Marram grass to give the area more of a links look and feel.

Bill_McBride

Re: Marram grass @TOC
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 01:12:10 PM »
OMG.  

Now you can spend a little time searching for errant drives.  At least when you hit it in the gorse you just dropped another ball and played a provisional.  

Maybe they can plant this grass left of the Principal's Nose and completely ruin number 16!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 01:42:58 PM »
It takes real cojones to describe the Old Course as needing "more of a links look and feel". Kind of like saying Trump National needs another waterfall or Newcastle needs coal.

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 04:44:30 PM »
"Now we’ve added the Marram grass to give the area more of a links look and feel."

Brent nails it. If the 7th now looks more like a links hole, what was it starting to look like before you added the new grass? Or, in the alternative, if you hadn't added the new grass, what exactly did you fear the hole would become?

Or is this rather a 'fix' (scare quotes) to a self-inflicted problem - your removal of the original gorse?

Bob

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 05:17:31 PM »
I'm not sure removing the gorse was a bad idea. I suspect the hole lost some definition or looked a little bare hence the sprigging of the marram.

However, I'm not so sure there is much marram out there in that part of the course (can someone enlighten me?)... It usually inhabits the dune systems near the perimeter some more. Is it not just wall to wall fescues around that part of the links?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 05:50:59 PM »
Farewell, Old Course, we hardly knew ye'
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 08:14:51 PM »
Removing the gorse certainly changed the look of the hole and made it much easier to recover from a topped drive, but although the change was visually stunning I don't think it was all that bad a move.  They've been eradicating and trying to control the gorse for more than a century.  The marram grass is an improvement over how it looked a month ago.  I don't recall marram anywhere else on the course but I wasn't looking for it.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 01:13:28 AM »
Well that looks natural.....not!
They have really lost the plot now.

Frank Pont

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 02:08:29 AM »
Unfortunately there is no cure for bad taste.....

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 02:59:15 AM »
There seems to be a complete split among the golf clubs in Scotland at the moment.

There are those with money and have no idea what to do with it.

And there are those, with no money and have no idea what to do about it.

Frank Pont

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 04:03:04 AM »
The first group are the ones doing damage to their course

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 07:24:49 AM »
Just wondering, has anyone seen the new 15th green at Royal Aberdeen yet ?

Frank Pont

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 08:26:19 AM »
Just wondering, has anyone seen the new 15th green at Royal Aberdeen yet ?
Who designed it?

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 08:44:02 AM »
Who designed it?

Not sure who has been working on it.

But hearing that the green has been raised significantly and the large bunker in the front has been replaced by smaller pot bunkers.

Jud_T

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 08:52:29 AM »
see any resemblance?:

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

BCrosby

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 09:12:32 AM »
Bingo, though unlike the hair weave, the Marram grass will fill-in some day.

The point here is the removal of traditional vegetation and the insertion of a new kind of flashy vegetation on TOC.

The same administration that hasn't paused to make such changes in vegetation, is the same administration that hasn't paused to make structural, architectural changes to TOC.

It's all the same mind set. It's not good. It's going to get worse.

Bob

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 10:29:42 AM »
Bob, I'm not sure you can call marram grass a "flashy" vegetation. It is the dominant grass on most yellow / main dune ridges on British and Irish linksland.

It will soon change in appearance from its initial planted state.

But I'm not sure this location is home to much marram (being further inland) - they are older dune systems with primarily fescues I guess...

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 11:13:10 AM »
There's been a LOT of dune stabilisation work using grasses on the west sands. I wouldn't be surprised if this is merely a prime example of Scottish frugality in action...

http://tinyurl.com/kycoke9

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
Who designed it?
Not sure who has been working on it.
But hearing that the green has been raised significantly and the large bunker in the front has been replaced by smaller pot bunkers.
Not sure who did the work, but if you click on this RAGC website link, bizarrely it's the 16th picture (!) - you'll see new 15th green - http://www.royalaberdeengolf.com/page.aspx?pid=9998. Very different to what was there beforehand.

There is also a photo of the new 15th on Sean Arble's nice Angus & Grampian photo tour from earlier this year - see - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56097.50.html - to make it easier to view I would like to copy it across to here but my computer skills wouldn't let me!

All the best.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 01:56:43 AM »
There is also a photo of the new 15th on Sean Arble's nice Angus & Grampian photo tour from earlier this year -

Thanks Thomas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back