News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Ultimate Scotland buddies trip
« on: October 24, 2013, 12:51:03 PM »
To mark his 40th birthday, Sports Illustrated golf writer Alan Shipnuck set out on a 10-rounds-in-six-days blitz of Scotland with his friend Matt Ginella and two others. They played:

*  North Berwick West
*  Muirfield
*  The Old Course
*  Kingsbarns
*  Trump International Golf Links
*  Cruden Bay
*  Castle Stuart
*  Nairn Golf Club
*  Royal Dornoch
*  Tain Golf Club

It’s a long piece at 6,000 words, but worth a read when you have the time.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/scotland-golf-buddies-trip-st-andrews-north-berwick-muirfield-trump-scotland-and-kings#

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

David Whitmer

Re: Ultimate Scotland buddies trip
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 01:22:59 PM »
Four of us did the same thing earlier this year for my 40th...my brother wrote about it for The Boston Globe back in May or June, though it was in the Travel section.

It seems to me their itinerary could have been better. They had too many long drives between morning and afternoon rounds. Muirfield AM and The Old Course PM...Kingsbarns AM and Trump PM...Cruden Bay AM and Castle Stuart PM...seems to me it could have been done better, logistically. They were climbing into bed way too late when they were playing 36 the next day.

That being said, as I can attest, that trip is something you never forget. The courses were great, but when all is said and done you remember the courses, the meals, the car rides, the people you meet, and best of all spending quality time with your buddies. If their itinerary resulted in a memorable trip, then it was a success. I can't wait to go back!  

Howard Riefs

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 01:30:27 PM »
Four of us did the same thing earlier this year for my 40th...my brother wrote about it for The Boston Globe back in May or June, though it was in the Travel section.

"We were in Scotland for 212 hours, loved it all, and squeezed in 234 holes of golf. Not once did I wish I was anywhere else, waking up each morning excited at the thought of playing golf again."

Very nice. And happy belated birthday.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/travel/2013/06/01/scotland-with-only-golf-mind/sgNELOc8iQFYa0D48ihS6H/story.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Alex Miller

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 01:33:04 PM »
I am leaving this afternoon (!) for a very similar trip. 6 days, 9 courses, and a more limited budget with some buddies of mine. Our hope is to play TOC on my birthday come Tuesday, but we will play it regardless. The itinerary is for 4 days in St. Andrews and 2 in North Berwick (though only 1 round each day due to driving in from St. Andrews and driving out to EDI).

Leven
Elie
New
Eden
Craighead
Balcomie
TOC
North Berwick
Muirfield

Going to read both articles right now! I'm not getting much work done today...

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 01:48:58 PM »

That was a fun read. Thanks for the link, Howard.

Alex,

Hope you guys have a great trip ... and a happy birthday in St Andrews!

David Whitmer

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 02:03:06 PM »
Thanks Howard.

Safe travels and Happy Birthday, Alex!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 02:46:15 PM »
I'm tired just reading about it.

David Kelly

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 02:48:11 PM »
I've found out that I'm allergic to Alan Shipnuck's writing.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 03:15:41 PM »

Anyone who schleps an entire suitcase worth of special foods 5,000 miles including "artisanal beef jerky" is the sort of tool that gives rise to European and British stereotypes of the Ugly American. I'll bet he managed to find Bud Light on tap in at least a couple of overpriced tourist trap eateries too.

Maybe for his next trip he can arrange to have the beer cart from his home course to be sent over ahead of time, along with its attendant in the Daisy Dukes. Then he'd have the full deluxe Scottish golf experience!

JMEvensky

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 03:27:43 PM »

Anyone who schleps an entire suitcase worth of special foods 5,000 miles including "artisanal beef jerky" is the sort of tool that gives rise to European and British stereotypes of the Ugly American. I'll bet he managed to find Bud Light on tap in at least a couple of overpriced tourist trap eateries too.

Maybe for his next trip he can arrange to have the beer cart from his home course to be sent over ahead of time, along with its attendant in the Daisy Dukes. Then he'd have the full deluxe Scottish golf experience!

I thought the same thing.What kind of schmuck plans a golf trip to Scotland and worries about packing enough beef jerky--artisanal or off the rack?

Brent Hutto

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 03:28:54 PM »

I thought the same thing.What kind of schmuck plans a golf trip to Scotland and worries about packing enough beef jerky--artisanal or off the rack?

One getting his trip paid for by a golf magazine catering to...

...a certain demographic.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 03:36:34 PM »
To be fair, my article describing a "dream" golf trip would be pretty boring...

DAY1

Arrived at the airport, went and played golf, then on the B&B.

Checked into my nice B&B room. Went to bed at 9:30.

DAY 2

Breakfast was good but I ate too much.

Played golf, didn't score too well but I wasn't keeping score anyway. It was a little windy but no rain.

Stayed up until 10:00pm watching Midsomer Murders on the FreeView.

DAY 3

Another big breakfast, had the sausage instead of bacon.

Back to the course, made a couple birdies. Rained for a few minutes but the wind wasn't too bad.

Ate at the local chippy, cleaned my clubs before turning in.

DAY 4

Cereal for breakfast, guess the chips were a little greasy last night.

Third day of golf, warmest day yet. No more birdies.

Went out to get a steak, it wasn't near as good as back home but the local beer was excellent.

DAY 5

Last morning of the breakfast so I had one of everything. Felt like a blimp afterward.

Tony M. drove over to beat me out of the traditional 1-pound match bet. I made him buy the beer after.

Back to the chippy, too tired to go anywhere else.

DAY 6

Left early for the airport.

Flew home, got a little choked up on the plane when I realized I wouldn't be back for at least another year.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:38:40 PM by Brent Hutto »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 04:05:14 PM »
I must have a different idea of the ultimate trip. Certainly playing just one round at Muirfield skipping lunch and dashing to St Andrews to play TOC is sheer madness. It's exactly why I turned down the opportunity to play Pine Valley and Merion on the same day.
Cave Nil Vino

Dan Kelly

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 04:08:41 PM »
To be fair, my article describing a "dream" golf trip would be pretty boring...

DAY 4

Cereal for breakfast, guess the chips were a little greasy last night.

Third day of golf, warmest day yet. No more birdies.

Went out to get a steak, it wasn't near as good as back home but the local beer was excellent.

Funny stuff, Brent.

In my one, very short trip to Scotland (one night at the Hilltop House B&B in Leuchars, one round at the Old Course, one night at some hotel in North Berwick where the front-desk guy was also the headwaiter, one round at North Berwick West), my wife and I walked down the very narrow road from the Hilltop House to an inn called St. Michael's, where I was served a steak (covered with melted Stilton) that I have thought back to a thousand times, minimum.

The mouth waters....
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 04:38:08 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Greg Taylor

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 04:14:27 PM »
Great read but anyone who rates the food at Cruden Bay had a very different experience to me.

I pretty much did the same trip, less travelling and drove from Dornoch to Warwick to cap it all off... an 9 hours!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 04:24:10 PM »
Also interesting to see he bought along his own energy bars, I'm surprised he didn't bring a tent and duvet thinking we all live in caves.
Cave Nil Vino

Brent Hutto

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 04:26:25 PM »
I thought the whole idea was to live on beer, whisky and Irn-Bru, depending on the time of day.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 04:33:58 PM »
Glascow Gailes; Western Gailes; Prestwick twice; Troon, ferry trip to N.I. + Ballycastle played in driving rain; Portrush + Portstewart; County Down (long detour getting there because hooligans have closed the roundabout we needed + Portmarnock; ferry back to Scotland, Turnberry (both courses -- and a dozen trips around the pitch and putt before dinner!)); finish at Southerness in another driving rainstorm (rained so hard the cups were full of water, but course still played hard.

8 days, 13 rounds. Way too old to ever do that again. But memories for a lifetime.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 04:34:49 PM »
I guess he didnt like the black pudding at beakfast ;D

Brent Hutto

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 04:36:46 PM »
I guess he didnt like the black pudding at beakfast ;D

I didn't eat my Black Pudding because it apparently had a scab over it.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 04:39:03 PM »
Brent is there ever an Irn-Bru time of day??
Cave Nil Vino

Dan Kelly

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 04:40:53 PM »
scab

One of the greatest words in the English language. Right up there with pus.

My friend the radio host thinks "Pus Lake" is the worst possible lake name.

Scab Lake must be a contender.

Meanwhile, back on Planet Earth...
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Brent Hutto

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 04:51:05 PM »
Brent is there ever an Irn-Bru time of day??

Hey, don't slag on the Irn-Bru. I love that stuff.

I drink beer in England and Irn-Bru in Scotland. Whisky makes my mouth hurt.

When we were in Dornoch, a bunch of us were sitting around the bar and Mike Whitaker orders some kind of premium high-octane single malt or another. He was saying how good it was so I asked if I could taste it.

Not being a liquor drinker I just slurped up most of the glass, rolled it around in my mouth like a bit of red wine and swallowed. Damn! I did not know for sure if I'd ever be able to speak again. Mike just gave me a look and said "Whisky's for sipping".

Dan,

To me the funnest word in English is "bumwad".
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 05:30:53 PM by Brent Hutto »

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 05:32:43 PM »
Im Bru?   Spill the beans please. Over there five times and never saw it. We tanked up on a Tenants, belle haven and toasties.  Who in their right mind brings over jerky??  Did bring over a few boxes of Juicy fruits and Jujubees. What I didn't eat the caddies took. They seem to love their sweets.

Great line up of courses, have lunch at Crail, good food and a great view. Pro is a great guy too.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 05:51:41 PM »
Scotland is the only country in the world where coke isn't the highest selling carbonated soft drink. This is it:

http://www.irn-bru.co.uk

Just NEVER despoil whisky with it or I am legally obliged to kill you.

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back