News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

Re: Ultimate Scotland buddies trip
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 05:59:58 PM »
Martin mixing it with whisky sounds like trying to get a head start on recovery. Definitely the official drink of Scottish Sunday mornings...and of caddies.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Eric Smith

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 06:00:29 PM »
Scotland is the only country in the world where coke isn't the highest selling carbonated soft drink. This is it:

http://www.irn-bru.co.uk

Tried it at the turn when playing the Old Course. Different. Tastes like bubble gum.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 06:02:21 PM »
Scotland is the only country in the world where coke isn't the highest selling carbonated soft drink. This is it:

Tried it at the turn when playing the Old Course. Different. Tastes like bubble gum.

Maybe they'll rename a hole after it... The hell with ginger beer. Think of the advertising revenue...
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 06:07:36 PM »
One problem with the name "Irn-Bru" is it doesn't work well as rhyming slang for anything.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 06:20:15 PM »

Just NEVER despoil whisky with it or I am legally obliged to kill you.

F.

So it's non alcoholic?    Now our not seeing it makes perfect sense, scotch neat please, side of another scotch.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2013, 06:28:19 PM »
It's exactly why I turned down the opportunity to play Pine Valley and Merion on the same day.

Sir Access,

You never miss an opportunity to rub it in, do you?  ::)
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jud_T

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2013, 06:38:05 PM »
10 big name courses in Scotland and no Prestwick?  Utter nonsense...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2013, 06:51:21 PM »
Assuming departure from a major east coast airport, how much would the writer's trip cost (for four)?

WW

David Whitmer

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2013, 08:45:21 PM »
Assuming departure from a major east coast airport, how much would the writer's trip cost (for four)?

WW

Wade,

We played nothing but heavy hitters: Nairn (18), Castle Stuart (36), Dornoch (36), Carnoustie (18), The New Course (18), The Old Course (36), Muirfield (36), North Berwick (18), and Gullane #1 (18). We did not stay at 4-star hotels except a night at Greywalls. EXCLUDING airfare (I used miles), the cost for everything was about $5,000 per guy. Some bought more souvenirs, some bought less.

Chris Mavros

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2013, 09:20:34 PM »
I've never been over, but 40 is a few years off and I'm already planning it.  I'm thinking 10 days to get to all of the courses I'd like to play.  It's a long list.    

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2013, 09:52:26 PM »
On the opening holes, it’s impossible not to be dazzled by Trump’s rugged dunes, which are taller than any I’ve ever seen on a golf course. But eventually the dunes never really come into play -- they just frame the holes, and the playing field is kind of flat and ordinary. A round at Trump is like going through a stack of Playboys -- you appreciate the beauty, but at some point it all starts to look kinda the same. The greens are another problem. Multi-tiered with sharp edges, they look wildly out of place in such a natural setting. The fairways are pretty narrow given the breezes, and there’s no wispy rough here -- a couple of feet off the short grass and you’re dead. I wasn’t hitting it badly, but I lost a ball three holes in a row to close the front nine."
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2013, 05:24:06 AM »
Some other notable buddies trips, these ones by the Scots -

1603 - England, Wales & Ireland
1745 - Derby
1954 - Switzerland
1958 - Sweden
1967 - Wembley
1967 - Lisbon
1972 - Barcelona
1974 - West Germany
1978 - Argentina
1982 - Spain
1983 - Gothenburg
1986 - Mexico
1990 - Italy
1998 - France

All the best

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2013, 05:36:58 AM »
Did Hadrian build another wall in 1999?

They did travel to England for Euro 96, I was at Wembley when Gazza scored his rather handy goal again the Jocks.

Biggest cheer in Euro 96?? Actually it was for a goal AGAINST England, we were 4-0 up against the Dutch and playing superbly, the Dutch scored to make it 4-1 and ensure the haggis munchers were going back up the M6.
Cave Nil Vino

ward peyronnin

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2013, 10:31:55 AM »
Alex

One rarely is offered food recs so here is one for your trip

http://www.stovies.com/

Cheers
Wardo
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Rich Goodale

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2013, 11:49:57 AM »
Wardo

You need to be severely inebriated to "enjoy" a plate of stovies, which is why they are only served in dingy pubs at half time of a football or rugby match involving Scotland....

Cheers for the noo
Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Dan Kelly

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2013, 12:11:11 PM »
You need to be severely inebriated to "enjoy" a plate of stovies, which is why they are only served in dingy pubs at half time of a football or rugby match involving Scotland....

Really? How could anything look more appetizing than this?

Favorite lines from the recipe:

"1 lb steak mince or lamb
    or diced pieces of meat
    or cheese or vegetables"

"You don't have to be exact with the quantities."

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2013, 12:11:56 PM »
To be fair, my article describing a "dream" golf trip would be pretty boring...

DAY1

Arrived at the airport, went and played golf, then on the B&B.

Checked into my nice B&B room. Went to bed at 9:30.

DAY 2

Breakfast was good but I ate too much.

Played golf, didn't score too well but I wasn't keeping score anyway. It was a little windy but no rain.

Stayed up until 10:00pm watching Midsomer Murders on the FreeView.

DAY 3

Another big breakfast, had the sausage instead of bacon.

Back to the course, made a couple birdies. Rained for a few minutes but the wind wasn't too bad.

Ate at the local chippy, cleaned my clubs before turning in.

DAY 4

Cereal for breakfast, guess the chips were a little greasy last night.

Third day of golf, warmest day yet. No more birdies.

Went out to get a steak, it wasn't near as good as back home but the local beer was excellent.

DAY 5

Last morning of the breakfast so I had one of everything. Felt like a blimp afterward.

Tony M. drove over to beat me out of the traditional 1-pound match bet. I made him buy the beer after.

Back to the chippy, too tired to go anywhere else.

DAY 6

Left early for the airport.

Flew home, got a little choked up on the plane when I realized I wouldn't be back for at least another year.

Okay, my tastes are changing as I get older, I admit, but THIS is the kind of golf writing I want to read.  The overblown 'stories' (and, worse, the stories behind the story -- as if everything nowadays has to have a "the making of" companion piece) actually takes away for me some of the meaning and beauty of the game and its places -- as in the Ken Burns jazz documentary, where apparently it isn't enough (or important enough) that Armstrong or Parker recorded a nearly perfect solo, and so the solo has to be made to "reflect" the end of the Depression or the start of the nucleur age or the birth of the civil rights movement or some other event of world wide political/sociological import. Hey, sometimes a great solo is just a great solo -- and that's enough, enough that it fulfilled its purpose admirably.  

Dan Kelly

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2013, 12:22:50 PM »
Okay, my tastes are changing as I get older, I admit, but THIS is the kind of golf writing I want to read.  The overblown 'stories' (and, worse, the stories behind the story -- as if everything nowadays has to have a "the making of" companion piece) actually takes away for me some of the meaning and beauty of the game and its places -- as in the Ken Burns jazz documentary, where apparently it isn't enough (or important enough) that Armstrong or Parker recorded a nearly perfect solo, and so the solo has to be made to "reflect" the end of the Depression or the start of the nuclear age or the birth of the civil rights movement or some other event of world wide political/sociological import. Hey, sometimes a great solo is just a great solo -- and that's enough, enough that it fulfilled its purpose admirably.  

Bravo!

(These "reflections" are what Rick Shefchik has so long called "misguided beard-pulling.")

Oh, and by the way: Your tastes *should* change as you get older. No need to "admit" it. Revel in it!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 12:25:12 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Thomas Dai

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2013, 12:53:52 PM »
Some other notable buddies trips, these ones by the Scots -
1603 - England, Wales & Ireland
1745 - Derby
1954 - Switzerland
1958 - Sweden
1967 - Wembley
1967 - Lisbon
1972 - Barcelona
1974 - West Germany
1978 - Argentina
1982 - Spain
1983 - Gothenburg
1986 - Mexico
1990 - Italy
1998 - France
All the best

Some additions to the above listing:

1950 - Westminster Abbey - removal of Stone of Scone (returned 1951, re-returned 1996)
1977 - Wembley - sections of pitch and pieces of goalpost probably now reside in many lawns and gardens north of the border
All the best

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back