News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Re: Gamble Sands - David McLay Kidd - 2013
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 01:04:45 AM »
If you go to aerial views of Brewster you can see three holes of the Dye course. That was the course too expensive to build a few years ago.
Don't know where the Kidd course is. I have not been able to triangulate it with the islands shown in the background.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 10:46:45 AM »
A considerable portion of the course appears on Google Earth, just to the right of Hiway 17 and east of Brewster.
Part is grassed, and part under construction.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 12:12:03 PM »
Brewster is in the upper left corner of the picture. Gamble Sands is on the right edge.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ben Baldwin

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 01:38:41 PM »
Heading up here for the grand opening in August.  Very excited...place looks really cool.

Some good photos up on the website:
http://www.gamblesands.com/-photo-gallery
Also they have the animated tour my company produced up and running gives you a good feel for the lay of the land as well as some of the stunning vistas the place offers:
http://www.gamblesands.com/-course-tour

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 03:12:56 PM »
I'll very likely be up there sometime on the weekend of August 16-17. Opening day is Saturday, August 2nd.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 03:15:38 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Daryl David

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 09:46:47 PM »
Heading up here for the grand opening in August.  Very excited...place looks really cool.

Also they have the animated tour my company produced up and running gives you a good feel for the lay of the land as well as some of the stunning vistas the place offers:

Animation flyover for a course opening in 60 days?  Seems like using a real photography with a drone or chopper would have been a better idea. 

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2014, 03:32:26 AM »
I'll probably head up there one of the first few weekends in August. Anyone interested in joining?
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Richard Choi

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2014, 12:51:01 PM »
I am going to try to get there as early as I can. It looks like there is no tee time on Aug 1st, the opening day. I will try to get there on the second and hope to have a photo tour soon after that.

Michael Essig

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2014, 02:16:16 PM »
I cannot go Aug 1-3 because of a family obligation, so Pete's weekend of the 15-17 (Fri-Sun) works for me.

For those that are interested, we can probably use my house in Cle Elum as a launching point.  Makes for a long day; probably slightly over 2 hours each way, but the accommodations in Cle Elum are five-star.  :)  (At this time the house is not rented.)

Rich, can you hold off for two weeks?

Pete, Connor and anyone else, do you want to email me with all of your availability around that time, and I will see if we can find some workable options?

Anyone else interested, email me?

Ben Baldwin

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2014, 02:24:22 PM »
Heading up here for the grand opening in August.  Very excited...place looks really cool.

Animation flyover for a course opening in 60 days?  Seems like using a real photography with a drone or chopper would have been a better idea.  

Animation is much less expensive than choppers. Though Drones have started to bring some of the cost down.  You still lose a ton of control in doing flyovers with real video/photography.  Elevation is flattened in real video, animation allows you to accentuate features that would be easy to see with the naked eye in person, but impossible to portray in a video.  Hence why a vast majority of golf broadcasts are using 3D animation work in lieu of video / heli flyovers.

With an animation you can control the setting 100%....since the course isn't open some of the concerns with shutting down, privacy and liability are some what alleviated...others such as: Weather and Course Conditions can't be overcome.

Weather.  Drones work fine in wind but not so great in rain, fog, haze, etc.  In some cases and locations it may take several days to find a weather window that will work for filming.

Conditions.  Unless the course is in perfect condition, drones will record bare patches, dead trees, stressed areas, construction areas, working staff, maintenance equipment, etc.  It is most likely that the drone flyovers will include undesirable footage showing the course in less than ideal conditions.

The main reason for the animations... cost.  It's a low cost, high quality piece that can showcase the property easily and quickly.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 02:28:05 PM by Ben Baldwin »

Ben Baldwin

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2014, 02:26:13 PM »
I am going to try to get there as early as I can. It looks like there is no tee time on Aug 1st, the opening day. I will try to get there on the second and hope to have a photo tour soon after that.

I'm pretty sure all play on August 1 is VIP, invite only deal, real opening is August 2nd.  Quite a few times still open.

http://gamblesands.play18.com/teetimes/searchmatrix?teedate=20140802

Daryl David

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2014, 03:48:57 PM »
Heading up here for the grand opening in August.  Very excited...place looks really cool.

Animation flyover for a course opening in 60 days?  Seems like using a real photography with a drone or chopper would have been a better idea.  

Animation is much less expensive than choppers. Though Drones have started to bring some of the cost down.  You still lose a ton of control in doing flyovers with real video/photography.  Elevation is flattened in real video, animation allows you to accentuate features that would be easy to see with the naked eye in person, but impossible to portray in a video.  Hence why a vast majority of golf broadcasts are using 3D animation work in lieu of video / heli flyovers.

With an animation you can control the setting 100%....since the course isn't open some of the concerns with shutting down, privacy and liability are some what alleviated...others such as: Weather and Course Conditions can't be overcome.

Weather.  Drones work fine in wind but not so great in rain, fog, haze, etc.  In some cases and locations it may take several days to find a weather window that will work for filming.

Conditions.  Unless the course is in perfect condition, drones will record bare patches, dead trees, stressed areas, construction areas, working staff, maintenance equipment, etc.  It is most likely that the drone flyovers will include undesirable footage showing the course in less than ideal conditions.

The main reason for the animations... cost.  It's a low cost, high quality piece that can showcase the property easily and quickly.

All good reasons for using animation verses photography for a course that is in concept or more than a year away from opening.  (Except for the weather reason as this area gets 300 days of sun a year)  If I were marketing a new track opening in a few weeks and cost was an issue, I would forgo the animation all together and just rely on the photographs they already have.  They look great.   Seeing that animation makes one wonder if the course is really ready for prime time.

Brad Sheridan

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2014, 09:56:44 PM »
I will be visiting my sister August 10th-22nd in Winthrop, WA. I was thrilled to find a course of this caliber (and novelty as a bonus) so close. Please let me know if anyone needs a fourth any of those dates.

John Cowden

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2014, 11:27:14 PM »
6 1/2 hours from Portland and nothing worthwhile in between?  It'll be a while before I play there.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2014, 11:40:50 PM »
I'll likely be up there on August 15 as a walk-on, on the way back from Sagebrush.

Jon -guilty of straight-line thinking? you can head east from Seattle, up from Wine Valley. Desert Canyon. Decent courses also in Tri-Cities.

John Cowden

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2014, 12:07:18 AM »
I never could draw a straight line.  But in two weeks I'll be tracing some kind of line from home to Denver, Sand Hills, Ballyneal, Dismal River, Ballyneal, Denver and home.  Just too tough to fit in Gamble Sands.  Although I am a Kidd fan, and have been ever since approaching my drive on no. 1 at Bandon in 1999.  It was a revelation, and it actually led to the courses mentioned here.  Thus I suppose a visit to GS is just a matter of time. 

Paul Gray

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2014, 07:19:29 AM »
I'll be interested to here he reviews. My initial thoughts are that more width could have been used and the whole 'cape' idea is rather overdone.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2014, 11:45:17 AM »
My initial thoughts are that more width could have been used....

Curious....what are these thoughts based on?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2014, 12:02:15 PM »
Looks great.  What an excellent use of remote property!  As for getting there, I would guess that this will primarily draw from Pac Northwesters, because for the rest of the country, there aren't that many reasons to go to Spokane and there aren't that many reasons to leave Seattle once you get there!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Richard Choi

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2014, 02:20:30 AM »
It looks like Gamble Sands is located right where wild fires are blazing in eastern WA. Most of the roads leading to Gamble Sands are closed and I am guessing it will stay closed for awhile. Does anybody know if the course will open as planned?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back