News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Bielawa

Major Championship Sites with 1 Par 5
« on: February 09, 2014, 09:49:42 AM »
Do any of these exist?

The reason I ask is that if Inverness ever got back into the major rota, which isn't terribly likely, I could see them calling #13 a long par 4 rather than a par 5.  That would make the course around 7,300 yards and a par 70, but with only 1 par 5.  Has this been done before?  Can't think of any major venues off the top of my head that didn't have at least two.

Bill_McBride

Re: Major Championship Sites with 1 Par 5
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 10:26:11 AM »
Rye hosts the President's Putter, a winter matching of Oxford and Cambridge alumni, which I'm sure the hardy participants consider an important event.  The first is the only par 5 and par is 68.  
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:01:26 PM by Bill_McBride »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 10:40:54 AM »
Off the top of my head, there aren't any.  But that's mainly because few major championship sites have only three par-3 holes ... most have four, and that governs the number of par-5's that can be converted to long par-4's for tournament play.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 10:51:10 AM »
Matt - There are none with one, currently rota'ed. Plenty with two though as lots of the old 72s have made their shorter fives into four's.
In the UK
St Andrews 2 was 3, Troon 3 was 4, Lytham 2 was 3, Birkdale 2 was 6, St Georges 2 was 3, Hoylake at least 2 cant remember how many they had years ago. Carnoustie 2 was 4, Muirfield Always 3 I think. Turnberry Always 2.

There seems a big it must be par 70, 71 or 72 so the only format for a single par 5 would really one with three par 3 holes.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 12:15:09 PM »
I do wish some far-sighted golf organization would break down and just call a tournament course a par-68 or 69, since that's what they really are for the pros.  Maybe I can convince Royal Melbourne to be the leaders.

BCowan

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 02:05:47 PM »
Matt

13th would actually play really well as a long par 4.  Plenty of room for ground game around the Green.  They would need to widen the fairway more at the bottom to make it play right.  I wish the USGA would just tell them yeah or nah, so if they said nah they could go back to the old design and quit losing money! 

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 01:52:10 AM »
Perhaps all holes should be par 4s. Par is really only useful for TV scoring. So a 2 on a short hole becomes an eagle.So what? doesn't this free up designers from arbitrary formulas some clients demand?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back