News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Garland Bayley

Re: If I Was Ever Going To Call Someone A Moron..........
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 07:21:39 PM »
Yes, Tiger does lack certain faculties.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 07:26:27 PM »
Whoa, two in the same day, and only minutes apart.  ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:12:11 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 08:09:49 PM »
I think Brandel didn't have to say it but I don't think anyone can say he slandered the guy.  The video puts him in the clear.  IMHO
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 08:10:32 PM »
I'm not a Tiger fan, but give him a break
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 08:29:01 PM »
It would do him some good to apologize for his remarks. He equated his own cheating in high school with Tiger's actions, which were obviously mistakes, but not actions of a cheater (unless anyone would believe that he'd be stupid enough to cheat knowing that millions of eyes are always trained on him).

Chamblee's remarks were over the top and there was no call for him to be so inflammatory. Can't see too many people agreeing with him on this.

Marc Huther

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 08:34:08 PM »
Hahaha! Job opening...

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 08:58:42 PM »
"Golf is a gentleman's game and I'm not proud of this debate. I want to apologize to Tiger for this incited discourse," Chamblee said on Twitter.

Maybe his hairdresser called him out.  But at least he still has his job as an on air weasel.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 09:11:03 PM »
I think Brandel didn't have to say it but I don't think anyone can say he slandered the guy.  The video puts him in the clear.  IMHO

It has been reported that Tiger never looked at the video, just poorly left the scene after being advised of the penalty.

JLahrman

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 10:18:15 PM »
Chamblee has "apologized".

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9865191/analyst-apologizes-tiger-woods-cheating-talk

I'm no Tiger fan, and I appreciate a broadcaster/analyst who is willing to be critical when it's needed, but Chamblee has made this look personal. It's not easy to make Tiger look like the good guy but Chamblee has joined Garcia in pulling it off.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 09:25:40 AM »
I'm actually surprised an editor allowed this to be published.  

Lou_Duran

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 11:45:19 AM »
For the record, I have a high regard for TW's accomplishments, his commitment to his craft (notwithstanding what his "want-to-be best friend" Hank Haney's hatchet piece suggests), and, for the most part, keeping his cool under the most powerful microscope that has followed him nearly his entire life.  As to his personal life, that is for someone much higher than me to judge.

Having spent much of my life in the Dallas area, BC has come under my radar a few times.  As a can't-miss high schooler from nearby Irving, he played with my noon group on at least a couple occasions, the guest of an insurance agent who was probably the best gambling golfer at the club.  I can't remember Brandel once extending his hand to anyone in our group he wasn't playing with, nor sticking around after collecting his winnings and attempt to be friendly or even cordial.  He was perceived as a prima-donna then, a pretty boy with a lot of talent to be sure, but not one who anyone else seemed to be particularly interested in having as a member of our 20+ player group.  Of course, his career on Tour didn't meet the expectations, and perhaps that is what ails the man.

BC is articulate, well-spoken, but I can't help feel that he likes to draw attention to himself, to be part of the action.  In earlier days had he said the same of Palmer or Nicklaus, he might be selling insurance.  However, in the shock and awe era that we find ourselves in, where political opponents at the highest levels are routinely called terrorists, extortionists, racists, etc., Brandel's hurling the C word is probably rather tame, and hardly actionable.  He might even garner his own 30-minute "Opinion" show.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 12:26:49 PM »
BC seems to enjoy his frequent meals at The French Laundry, and why not, it's consistently ranked as one of the top restaurants in the world...

...so I'm sure they'll do a great job with his next meal:

Dwight Phelps

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 12:35:05 PM »
Chamblee has apparently made a commentating career out of criticizing Woods (justly or unjustly).  This simply follows right along with that.  There's a reason this article is still up on Golf.com's home page.  It's the punditry age we live in, when being right is less important than being sensational.  And whether or not you agree with Chamblee's assessment he is quite obviously being sensational.  It's linkbait, juicy TV fodder, and has only served to make Chamblee more of a well-known name.

This just is what it is.  Views rule the internet and ratings rule TV.  Sensationalism wins both.

It doesn't matter what the truth is.  Any Tiger response is inevitably 'explaining' and, 'when you're explaining, you're losing'.  The best he can do is accept that, being who he is, he will generate more focus and attention than any other golfer in the world.  He can't simply be equally cognizant/observant of the rules as his competitors, he must be MORE observant and cognizant.  That may not be fair, but those $10mil tourney purses actually do come with strings attached for the guy who made them possible.

As a last thought, I was thinking about a hypothetical scenario today in which Tiger's Masters woes this year never happened and instead he won in exactly the same manner as Arnold in 1958.  What would golf punditry be saying about Tiger and that win in this day and age? (I realize that the rules were different back then - it's not a perfect hypothetical)  I truly don't know the answer, but I think it's interesting to think about in light of this discussion.
"We forget that the playing of golf should be a delightful expression of freedom" - Max Behr

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 12:51:05 PM »
Who's kidding who, Jim - you call LOTS of people morons...it's just that you usually do it with more subtlety than Patrick does!

:D

Peter

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 01:39:28 PM »
Who's kidding who, Jim - you call LOTS of people morons...it's just that you usually do it with more subtlety than Patrick does! :D

Peter,

Subtlety isn't understood by the obtuse.

And, with volume, the need for efficiency/candor is at a premium......
But you should know that...... you moron  ;D

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 01:50:47 PM »
Who's kidding who, Jim - you call LOTS of people morons...it's just that you usually do it with more subtlety than Patrick does!

:D

Peter

I see the Lord Of The Zings just checked in.  ;)

His style is more direct, but I figure if they can't understand it then it's no foul/no harm.   ;D

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 01:51:30 PM »
Well, I have to grant you that one, Pat. You're right: if by your way of thinking someone has proven himself obtuse, then by definition there's no point at all in wasting subtlety on them!  

Hmm - I don't know how I missed that :D

Peter

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 02:20:28 PM »
Well, I have to grant you that one, Pat. You're right: if by your way of thinking someone has proven himself obtuse, then by definition there's no point at all in wasting subtlety on them!  

Hmm - I don't know how I missed that :D

You missed it because you're a moron  ;D

Peter

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 02:43:53 PM »
In my own mind I think that Tiger may well have  benefited from some previous calls by dubious rulings; however, so did a few other Major  winners.

I do believe that BC has shown much animus toward Tiger by constant criticism of his game and swing, even though he is running away with the tournament at hand.

I wonder how many breaches of the rules there are, among those players who are off TV most of the time?

Bob

Lou_Duran

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 05:31:56 PM »
I wonder how many breaches of the rules there are, among those players who are off TV most of the time?

I seldom attend a Tour event, but I remember seeing a fairly well-known journeyman hit his tee just over the green on Colonial CC's 4th hole.  I was standing a few feet from the ball and could barely see it in the wiry Bermuda rough.  It was early in the weekday morning and there was probably only a half dozen spectators there.  The pro looks at the lie in disgust, marks it with a tee, picks it up- ostensibly to identify it, and replaces it.  As he stepped away, the ball looked like it was on a tee.  I was so incensed that I thought about reporting it to a tournament official, but justice prevailed.  He chunked it, barely getting it on and made bogey.  He then beat the crap out of the bottom of his bag with the offending wedge and shot about 80.  Never liked the guy afterwards.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 05:53:43 PM »
I believe BC & TW should settle this like men....drivers at 10 paces!!

They are both professional golfers...18 holes - Match Play winner take all.

BC wins - he is entitled to continue his bather.
TW wins - BC shuts his trap & does back to doing his commentary job on the sport of golf. 

Tiger sport BC 1 or 2 holes so the match goes to the back 9.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 07:33:59 PM »
For the record, I have a high regard for TW's accomplishments, his commitment to his craft (notwithstanding what his "want-to-be best friend" Hank Haney's hatchet piece suggests), and, for the most part, keeping his cool under the most powerful microscope that has followed him nearly his entire life.  As to his personal life, that is for someone much higher than me to judge.

Having spent much of my life in the Dallas area, BC has come under my radar a few times.  As a can't-miss high schooler from nearby Irving, he played with my noon group on at least a couple occasions, the guest of an insurance agent who was probably the best gambling golfer at the club.  I can't remember Brandel once extending his hand to anyone in our group he wasn't playing with, nor sticking around after collecting his winnings and attempt to be friendly or even cordial.  He was perceived as a prima-donna then, a pretty boy with a lot of talent to be sure, but not one who anyone else seemed to be particularly interested in having as a member of our 20+ player group.  Of course, his career on Tour didn't meet the expectations, and perhaps that is what ails the man.

BC is articulate, well-spoken, but I can't help feel that he likes to draw attention to himself, to be part of the action.  In earlier days had he said the same of Palmer or Nicklaus, he might be selling insurance.  However, in the shock and awe era that we find ourselves in, where political opponents at the highest levels are routinely called terrorists, extortionists, racists, etc., Brandel's hurling the C word is probably rather tame, and hardly actionable.  He might even garner his own 30-minute "Opinion" show.
Congrats on your best post ever or at least the last six years i have been on here. Miss your face!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 06:15:54 AM »
In my own mind I think that Tiger may well have benefited from some previous calls by dubious rulings; however, so did a few other Major winners.
Out of historical curiosity what would be examples of previous Major winners benefiting from dubious calls? Two that I've heard mention of as maybe being a bit 'iffy' are O'Meara's 'lost ball' at Birkdale in 1998 and Palmers 'embedded ball' at the Masters, not sure which year. I'm not trying to dish dirt here, but am simply historically curious as to examples of dubiousness?
All the best

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 08:02:58 AM »
In my own mind I think that Tiger may well have benefited from some previous calls by dubious rulings; however, so did a few other Major winners.
Out of historical curiosity what would be examples of previous Major winners benefiting from dubious calls? Two that I've heard mention of as maybe being a bit 'iffy' are O'Meara's 'lost ball' at Birkdale in 1998 and Palmers 'embedded ball' at the Masters, not sure which year. I'm not trying to dish dirt here, but am simply historically curious as to examples of dubiousness?
All the best

Off the top of my head, I can think of several.  Els had at least two; a drop away from a grandstand at the US Open and a drop in the woods at Augusta.  Kite benefitted from dropping away from a cart path at Pebble and was able to drop in the fairway.  Most famous of all was Palmer's situation on #12 at Augusta involving playing a second ball; Venturi believed until his death that Palmer had proceeded incorrectly (and knowingly so) and that the committee had allowed it.

I'm sure there are others; those are just a few that jump to mind.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back