News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Warren

Raleigh, NC area
« on: October 20, 2013, 01:56:45 AM »
I am going to be in the Raleigh area this coming weekend and thought I might get some suggestions I might be able to squeeze in.  I checked some of the other threads and I am not sure if it will be a great fit or not based on the suggestions there, but I do not really know the area either so I can let you guys be the judge.

Anyway, I am playing the Country Club that is in Smithfield, as that is where the reception is being held I believe and the wedding party is playing that day before, but might be looking at some extra time early Saturday if there is something that is maybe 30-45 minutes from Smithfield that I could get to.  I think getting to Chapel Hill or Durham might be tough to do with my limited amount of time, but I would certainly love to hear your suggestions.

Cory Lewis

Re: Raleigh, NC area
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 06:45:34 AM »
Lonnie Poole in Raleigh is your best public option, though it will be about a 30 minute drive.  Closer to Smithfield, The Neuse in Clayton is a good public course.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Greg Gilson

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 05:43:08 PM »
Cory, if Adam has to drive 30 minutes to Lonnie Poole, isn't he better off driving a little further and playing Tobacco Road? Or is the distance I have to travel from Melbourne to either foreshortening the commutes!

Jason Thurman

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 08:50:43 PM »
I think Tobacco Road is a little far from Smithfield. Certainly more than the 40 minutes, though it's not far at all from Raleigh and I'd definitely do it if you had time. Likewise with about 10 courses in Pinehurst/Southern Pines, but I'm guessing that's a little far.

I'd make a call to Raleigh Country Club. I don't know a ton about it aside from it being Ross' last course, but it sure looks cool. That's my plan if work sends me back that way. I'm not sure how open they are to guest play, but the worst thing that can happen is they say no.

I stayed next to UNC's course a few weeks ago. It looks like a fun Fazio, and might be fun. Chapel Hill is an awesome town, as much as I hate admitting that. Otherwise, I don't know a ton about the immediate Raleigh area.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 06:49:11 AM »
First the bad news: Tobacco Road is well over an hour away from Smithfield, and I don't think there is ANY chance that Raleigh CC is going to say yes; it isn't that kind of place.

Now the good news: The Lonnie Poole recommendation is solid.  Shouldn't be more than 30 minutes and definitely worth a play; very underrated.  The Neuse is a good place to play, as would be Keith Hills in Buies Creek, and neither should be especially crowded.

As to Chapel Hill, as a UNC grad it pains me to say it but driving an hour to play Finley (especially for the $$) just isn't worth it.  Neither is the course at Duke.  Lonnie Poole is the best of the three university courses, and in addition to being closer to Smithfield would probably be a bit cheaper as well.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Parker Reeves

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 09:48:11 PM »
For a cheaper public option, Finley and Keith Hills are great options.  I would also look at Riverwood, Headingham, and Eagle Ridge.  Anderson Creek is close to Keith Hills and I feel like I've heard good things about The Preserve at Jordan Lake.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 10:13:20 PM »
Lonnie Poole is really good.  It can be tough if you get in the high grass around the bunkers but otherwise it has a good variety of holes and probably is the shortest distance from Smithfield.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 08:03:33 AM »
For a cheaper public option, Finley and Keith Hills are great options.  I would also look at Riverwood, Headingham, and Eagle Ridge.  Anderson Creek is close to Keith Hills and I feel like I've heard good things about The Preserve at Jordan Lake.

Parker,
Keeping in mind that I'm a UNC alum ('74), a Rams Club member, and own what might be the largest private collection of Carolina Blue golf shirts in the world, I must say again that Finley isn't worth an hour drive anytime, much less on a wedding weekend.  It isn't cheap, and it just isn't that good.  (Better than Dook, but that isn't enough...)

I spend a fair amount of time in the Triangle, and I don't drive 20 minutes to play Finley most trips; it just isn't worth it.  The only time I go over there to play is when I just want to hang out with a bunch of other Tar Heels.

Truth be told, I'm still a little pissed that the university spent $8m on that design.  I loved the old Finley and just figured Fazio would renovate/regrass, etc.  I've never liked the new design save a few holes on the back nine, and though I've softened to it a bit over the years, I NEVER urge people to go there.  Too many other good, cheaper daily fee options in the Triangle.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

hhuffines

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 09:44:28 PM »
Plus one on the old Finley course.  We used to play it a lot and enjoyed it!

hhuffines

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 09:47:19 PM »
I don't think anyone mentioned Pine Hollow near Garner, NC.  It's a decent "country" course depending on conditions.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back