News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Hines

Daryn Soldan, Brandon Urban and myself took it upon ourselves to get together at least one more time this year before the weather turns to winter.  Sycamore Ridge makes several of the publication “Lists” for best of this and that for a public course in the state of Kansas. However more importantly, the course is often offered up as a place to play when asked here on GCA.com when in KC and to my knowledge has never been chronicled or profiled.  SR is located just to the south of Kansas City, not far off I-35 in the small town of Spring Hill, Kansas.   Spring Hill is one of those communities that was originally a small little town that now finds itself growing quickly as a suburb on the southern edge of Johnson County.  The course was designed and opened in 1999 at the height of the golf boom in the U.S. along side similar semiprivate course offerings in north east Kansas as, Falcon Ridge, Falcon Lakes, Prairie Highlands, Ironwood and Deer Creek.  

I had first played SR in the early 2000’s before I lived in the area and if memory serves, the fairways were bermuda in which each time I played, were brown/dormant... in May.  The course has since changed over to the more northern bent grass fairways vs. the local staple zoysia here in the transition zone.  Our cooler summer and crisp fall mornings this year have brought out the lush green look everyone loves so much. For me though, I preferred the golden brown hue of last August during the drought which was much more fun.

The course measures 7,081 yards from the tips and has the tale of two 9 nines with regard to routing and scenery.  The front 9 meanders through the Kansas prairie and thicket with a combination of 3 par 5’s, 3 par 4’s and 3 par 3’s.  The back is cut out of a dense wooded area that has a creek, several ravine water hazards and makes use of one or two ridge lines for fairway definition.  The front is very walkable, the back is a hike and then some and unfortunately, most of our photos were on the front with just a couple on the back.  If our little group is going to keep doing this, I am going to need to get a better camera.  All photos today were courtesy of Brandon and Daryn.

On with the brief tour, me on the first tee just after sun up, 41 degrees and a 15 mph out of the west.

Since it was 41 degrees and breezy, Daryn decided to show up in shorts.  The photo below is #5 tee box from around 160 yards, good photo of divot and ball in the air with a horse and cattle barn in the background.

Daryn and me in one of the many bunkers on the par 5, 6th.  I thought black was supposed to be slimming?

Daryn pulling the flag on 6, Brandon took most of the photos which was probably on purpose to stay out of the lime light.  Good example of the terrain of the front 9 in the background of this shot.

Approach on #7, raised green site with a stadium of trees.

Daryn on the 185 yard, #8 tee.  We suspected that the terrain up front was once unplayable native grass that has since been mowed down, but not maintained and ironically, the recovery shot is still almost unplayable. We tried to come up with a definition or term for this type of ground, but did not have any luck.

Approach, 400 yard par 4, 10th across creek.

Green site from the cart path on #12, notice the zoysia collar starting to turn color in the fall.  My approach was on the left collar, seemed unique hitting an approach off bent, then putt off zoysia back onto a bent green.

My favorite holes, 5, 8, 12 and 17, least favorite, 6, 9 and 16.  I was not a big fan of these par 5’s that were over bunkered (6), jammed in along the shoreline (9) or chopped up landing zones (16). Overall, Sycamore Ridge is one of the better courses in the area and definitely worth a repeat play, especially at the $49 green fee which included a cart.  My brief intro and write up is hopefully just an intro where I hope Daryn, Brandon and others chime in on their experiences at SR.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:16:56 PM by Jason Hines »

David Harshbarger

Thanks for posting.  Always good to see what golf is like out there in your country.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Brandon Urban

Jason,

Thanks for putting this together. I do tend to take the pictures because I'm not a fan of being in them. And let's face it, no one needs to see this golf swing in action!

As for Sycamore Ridge, I think it's a fine golf course. I thought there were some good holes that used the rolling topography, ridges, humps and hillocks really well. What surprised me, though, was the completely manufactured holes stuck in between the more natural ones. For example hole 6 (I think), the par 5, looks completely "built" but follows a par 4 and par 3 that seem so natural and follow the ebbs and flows of the land. I always wonder what jumps into an architects mind that makes him feel like he "has" to build something there.

I thought all of the par 3s were really good. They varied in length, look and difficulty.

For those of you that have never been and think Kansas is flat, I encourage you to visit the northeast portion of the state. The back nine is about as Kentucky hills as I've seen.
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Matt Elliot

Sycamore Ridge is a nice course for sure.  One of my favorites in the Kansas City area.  My brother in law lives in Spring Hill so I try to play it once or twice a year!  

The course has two fairly different nine hole routes.  The front nine plays fairly flat and with somewhat of a links feel to it.  The back nine becomes more challenging in my opinion with tighter heavily tree lined fairways and more rolling hills.  The back nine reminds me of courses in the Ozark mountain region of Missouri where I live.  Sycamore Ridge is a must play if you are in the KC area.  

Brandon,

Did I see you were from Lawrence?  Rock Chalk Jayhawk!  I frequent Lawrence for almost every KU football game and three or four hoops games a year!  I love the Hawks!

Do any of you KS boys play Colbert Hills much?  Other than being in Manhattan it is a nice course as well.  Have you guys ventured over to play Sand Creek Station?  If so what are you thoughts?  I made a trip back to KS last month and hit Prairie Dunes and Colbert Hills but was not able to squeeze in Sand Creek Station and wanted to.  I have heard awesome reviews on it!

Brandon Urban

Brandon,

Did I see you were from Lawrence?  Rock Chalk Jayhawk!  I frequent Lawrence for almost every KU football game and three or four hoops games a year!  I love the Hawks!

Do any of you KS boys play Colbert Hills much?  Other than being in Manhattan it is a nice course as well.  Have you guys ventured over to play Sand Creek Station?  If so what are you thoughts?  I made a trip back to KS last month and hit Prairie Dunes and Colbert Hills but was not able to squeeze in Sand Creek Station and wanted to.  I have heard awesome reviews on it!

Matt,

I do live in Lawrence. Rock Chalk! Where do you call home? If it's close by, we'll make sure to give you a shout next time we do one of these KS "outings". We try to do one every couple of months.

Daryn actually calls Manhattan home and plays at Colbert regularly. I really like that golf course. Not much to say about Prairie Dunes. It is one of my favorites. Sand Creek is a lot of fun. Cool greens and Brauer did some good stuff on pretty flat land. The only negative thing I would say is that it is not very walkable. Other than that, it is worth the stop if you are ever near by.
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Matt Elliot

Brandon,
I live in Ozark, MO between Springfield and Branson.  I am in the KC/Lawrence area often.  You play Alvamar much?  Let me know on one of the KS "outings", I would love to meet up with you sometime.  Colbert is great and Prairie Dunes may be my favorite course ever.  I grew up in Sterling, KS, 20 miles from PD.  I also saw you head out to the great NE Sandhills from time to time.  I lived in SW NE for 3 years after college and played Wildhorse and Bayside often. Eight of us head out there every June.  Wildhorse, Bayside and Dismal.  An awesome four days.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:01:35 PM by Matt Elliot »

Jason Hines

Hi Matt,

As Brandon says, we’ll definitely send you a note the next time we head out.  It would be nice to get one more round in together but I think Mother Nature may have other plans over the next 45 days.  I am in Olathe and grew up in Nebraska/Western Kansas and played WH the first month it was open. 

Our group started getting together last year and we have compiled a big wish list of courses to play in the area based on novelty and rankings, but most ideas are around architectural archeology (if there is such a term) in Kansas and potentially northern Oklahoma.

Previous adventures:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56696.msg1317413.html#msg1317413

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,55800.msg1295146/topicseen.html#msg1295146

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51727.msg1183917.html#msg1183917

Looking forward to having more with this group, even though Daryn is not allowed in certain counties...

Matt Elliot

Jason,

Where did you grow up in western KS?  I graduated from Fort Hays State and my wife is from Quinter?  We lived in Curtis, NE (between McCook and North Platte) for three years before moving to MO.  Small world!!!

I would love to get together and play.  I love playing new courses.  I will take a look at the previous ventures you have taken!

Jason Hines

Hi Matt, I spent my summers in Colby with my father and went to school in Kearney, NE with my Mom which means I have a babysitter for when I head up to the sand hills to play golf.  I currently live in Olathe and did my undergrad in Lawrence, I bleed crimson and blue, (Purple is an attempt at masculine pink, right Daryn?). 

On this outing at the driving range of Sycamore Ridge we realized that we forgot to invite Jeff Goldman in KCMO this time.  The next one we will send notes to everyone.  To give you an example of where our GCA.com minds are, today I drove out into the central part of Kansas all the way through Hutchinson and realized that we can spend a lot or very little to experience the true spirit of the game where we live...

Matt Elliot

Jason,

Rock Chalk to you as well!  I did not attend KU but bleed crimson and blue as well!  KS does have some great golf that is not really known on the national stage (except Prairie Dunes)!  To drive through Hutchinson and not play Prairie Dunes is almost a sin isn't it!!??

Daryn_Soldan

Better reply and break up the Jayhawk love-fest going on here. Be careful or I'm showing up with the all purple bag and masculine pink headcovers for our next round.

Matt - I'm in Manhattan. Drop a line if you're out this way and want to play Colbert Hills. Like Brandon and Jason, I enjoy finding some of the off-the-beaten-path golf options in Kansas. Hope you can join us for a future outing.

Regarding Sycomore Ridge, that was my first time playing it. Had heard a lot about the stark differences between the nines and that's definitely the case. I thought some of the shaping between fairway and native rough on the front was a little much. That being said, the mogul effect I perceived when playing sure doesn't show up as much in the pictures. There are definitely some holes shoehorned into tight spots. It's an interesting piece of property with quite a bit of topography on the back nine, just not enough room on a few holes. I didn't see the course when it was new but judging by the growth stage of some of the vegetation, I'd guess tree and underbrush growth has edged in the corridors over time. As someone who hits the ball very high and a good distance, there were quite a few risk/reward opportunities and the par 5s presented some interest. The challenge is that on many of these same holes a shorter hitter is playing into a severe upslope or navigating from spot to spot.

I'm sitting here trying to figure out where I'd place SR among the many similar KC metro area courses built in the late 90s. Not sure I have a clear favorite or can come up with a comparative order... not necessarily a good thing. So instead I'll find an easy out by quoting KC native Tom Watson and say that "golf courses should be enjoyed rather than rated."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back