News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

Way OT: Toddler Plastic club set recs
« on: October 17, 2013, 11:23:13 AM »
I will cheerfully  endure whatever abuse comes my way for this OT thread but I have no idea what criteria recommends one set of tiny "starter" sets of clubs over another.

Has anyone out there some experience on what works well for the little swingers  and which are conforming clubs ( don't want his amateur standing compromised right out of the gate!)
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Matthew Sander

Re: Way OT: Toddler Plastic club set recs
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 11:40:26 AM »
Ward,

You'll receive no abuse from me. Our three kids have used a "Little Tikes" club set (if two clubs = a set). One of the clubs is currently a permanent appendage on my two year old. They come in a little bag with wheels, a few large plastic balls, and a portable hole. The clubs are made of a really sturdy blue plastic and have endured loads of abuse. They are perfect for a newly walking toddler up to abut 3 years or so. Again, the brand is Little Tikes...

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 11:43:30 AM »
My recommendation would be to look for a set where the club is all one piece of plastic.

We bought my son his first set of plastic toddler clubs at a thrift store, but the head of the club and the grip were separate pieces from the "shaft" and, as you can imagine, in no time at all each club was just three pieces of plastic.

Sometime later we were at WalMart and saw a set there cheap enough that we said, "Why not?" These clubs are all one piece of plastic and much better. Now the challenge is just that my son swings a baseball bat like a golf club and a golf club like a baseball bat.

One step at a time, I guess.

Brian Finn

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 11:52:03 AM »
Finally, a topic on which I am truly expert - toddler golf clubs!

I endorse Little Tikes or Fisher Price.  My 2 year old son loves the Little Tikes linked below and my daughter and nephew both had the Fisher Price with push cart.  I agree that the single piece plastic clubs are best.  We had others (not these 2 sets) that broke easily.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3424055&cp=2255956.2273442.2255969.3130078.3130085&parentPage=family

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2327362&cp=2255956.2273442.2255969.3130078.3130085&parentPage=family

PS - you can find these cheaper at other retailers - this site just had good photos.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 04:27:14 PM »
My son found his older sister's plastic putter in a closet,and was inseperable from it for the next few months.
He's right handed, but was backhanding the twosided putter one handed with his right hand (in a lefty direction)
He never gave that side up, and plays from the left side.

As a golf pro, I'm not sure I recommend that, as it's awkward to teach a lefty, but he's one hell of a leadoff hitter taking the shortcut from the left side ;) ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Howard Riefs

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 04:56:08 PM »
As a golf pro, I'm not sure I recommend that, as it's awkward to teach a lefty...

That explains it. My dad took me, a lefty, for my first lesson when I was 9 years old....

Pro:       "The first thing I'll teach you is that you need to turn around and play right-handed."

My dad:  "That's not going to happen. I just bought him new clubs. What's the second thing you'll teach him?"

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Buck Wolter

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 07:11:16 PM »
My son had an earlier version of the snoopy set here
http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11901982&srccode=cii_23393768&cpncode=32-272730252-2
It looks like it still has a feature where there is a bit of a shock absorber between the shaft and head that made them durable I think.

I would recommend a grass mat with a rubber tee if you dont have one --my son would tee up his own ball at age 2 and hit almost golf balls to me and I'd chip them back --only golf I got to play for about 5 years.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 08:23:36 PM »
I bought my 4 year old grandson (Jake the Snake, aka "The Jackal") a Kids USA driver.  He was hammering it out to the back yard fence immediately.  The big issue is converting th at to golf.  He does the same thing with a Wiffle ball and bat.

The kid has good genes. 

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 11:08:10 PM »
What age is the "toddler"?  I bought my daughter the smallest US Kids set when she was 3 and she still uses it a little over a year later.  There is a 3W, 7I and putter.  We went to the range several times this summer and the "golfing" would often only last for 5-10 minutes before it was time to go to the clubhouse for a milk shake but that is a good start from my perspective.  Sometimes she likes riding in the cart while daddy plays a few holes as well.

She also has a golf dress, hat and shirt from ANGC!

ward peyronnin

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 11:00:20 AM »
That age level for US Kids is good info Wayne but I am thinking even younger like 18 mos to 2 years and clearly plastic one piece clubs are relative safe and simple.

More of a toy just to hopefully develop a life long fascination( addiction) early. Thanks to all the rest of you for your suggestions.

If only Golf World would inlcude this in their annual equip review
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back