News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Re: Are golf's non-profit "emporors" fiddling while Rome burns?
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 09:32:17 AM »
KBM,
Good post...especially the aspect of multi-tasking. 
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Lou_Duran

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 10:33:40 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, the USGA doesn't have an ability to tax the golfing population or make participation in its events compulsory.  As one of the contributors to this thread noted, he didn't approve of the way the USGA was conducting part of its business so he discontinued his support.  Fair enough.

If Rome is indeed burning, it is for reasons the USGA has little recourse unless we want it to become more politically active.  We can talk about "eco sustainability" and urban outreach till the cows come home, but without a growing economy and wealth generation, it is little better than putting a Band-Aid on a slit throat.  Should it wish to espouse policies which truly put water on the fire, with a relative pittance of $300 Million in the bank, the recent JP Morgan $13 Billion shakedown by Justice might suggest that it get a much bigger boat.

Whether we like it or not, we're going down the path of all previous large, diverse social democracies.  A game for individuals requiring large tracts of land, water, and a bunch of carbon-rich energy cannot do well in a collectivist society.  The USGA probably has a pretty good sense of where things are heading and it is likely doing what it can to preserve itself and what will be left of golf.  It is not like we don't have good examples in Western Europe to inform us.  I hope that it can stave off the demands of the rent seekers and use its funds in ways that might make a small difference (e.g. current water sustainability/F&F, speed of play, support of First Tee, rules, tournaments, etc.) for what remains.  

Garland Bayley

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 11:58:56 AM »
I started skiing because the ski area in conjunction with the equipment retailer offered a series of three lift tickets, group lesson, and equipment rentals for a ridiculously low price. After the three trips to the slopes we were hooked, and went back over and over again.

I doubt there was any skiing rules organization, or skiing instructors organization, or skiing professionals organization that participated.

If golf course operators want to expand the game, then they should take a hit and make it happen IMO.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Sabino

Re: Are golf's non-profit "emporors" fiddling while Rome burns? New
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 12:17:40 PM »
I disagree with premise of the article and think the USGA is doing the right thing. In the long sweep of golf history we are in the Tiger Woods era and therefore the sport is a big money sport. I think it is prudent for both the tour and the USGA to build up big war chests and balance sheets.

Take the money while it lasts because once Tiger retires the interest in the game and money for TV rights will go down dramatically. Perhaps we go back to the 1970s and have a bunch of tour players that have no personality and with no racial or other diversity. I think what they are doing is prudent and think it is part of a broader strategy that will make sure golf survives LONG TERM. Think the Harvard Endowment model. Build up a big war chest and then finance the game over time without the need to raise a lot of money.

They hoodwinked FOX into paying for a product that will not have good ratings as the Tiger influence wanes. Good business on the part of the USGA and PGA. Given the charitable giving of the PGA tour does relative to any other sport it is also hard to criticize them.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 12:50:48 PM by John Sabino »
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back