News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

In the "My face is made for radio" dept.......
« on: October 15, 2013, 08:35:20 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnm0kUyYCVo

I rarely talk about my projects on this site, but I thought this link would be of at least some interest to folks here.  It really is a pretty nice site!

Construction has started.  I figured they might get a few hole shaped by winter, but with 4 dozers and perfect weather, they have made significant progress on at least 5 holes up to last week, and I expect to see more when I return next week.

Short sleeves in northern MN in October.  Whooda Thunkit?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike_Young

Re: In the "My face is made for radio" dept.......
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 09:15:57 AM »
Definitely radio....

Good luck with it...
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Chris Johnston

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 09:33:26 AM »
Looks cool!

Congrats, Jeff!

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 09:53:15 AM »
Best of luck with this project Jeff.  Incredible setting but a golf course I played once and had no desire to see again.  You could really help them.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 11:49:38 AM »
Jeff, I don't know anything about this course (courses) and the project.  Can you tell us some more about it?  Reworking all of two courses?  Who owns it?  Are they changing their business model?  Where does the play come from?  What is the season?  etc.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 12:06:45 PM »
Thanks for posting, Jeff. I'm glad I was marginally interested in why you think you have a face for radio; otherwise, without "Superior National" in the thread title, I'd probably have missed this.

I'm with Jason; my one play at Superior National some 15 years ago was enough. But I'll definitely play it again after your work is complete. I particularly like your efforts to widen the course. It's a severe piece of land, but clearing out more room on either side of the fairways will help a lot.

For those who don't know anything about Superior National, it's about 90 miles up the North Shore of Lake Superior from Duluth, built near, but not on, the lake shore. It's adjacent to Minnesota's best ski resort, Lutsen, which accounts both for the views and the steep elevation changes. The course was built in 1991, and has had a lot of tourist play, but not much return play because of its lack of playability. Good luck, Jeff. Can't wait to see the improvements.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 12:28:48 PM »
Best of luck with the project, Jeff!
H.P.S.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 12:44:13 PM »
Having heard reviews from the likes of Jason and Rick, I never had a yen for the long trip to Superior National.

That will change, when you're finished.

One of these years, we Minnesotans will get our act together and organize (tentative name) The Great Northern Niblick -- perhaps to be played on the courses of the Brauer Trail (in chronological order): Giants Ridge Legend, Giants Ridge Quarry, The Wilderness at Fortune Bay, and Superior National.

Dan

P.S. Your face looks better than I remember it. Certainly better than the face of that poor chipmunk at the Quarry...
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 01:34:13 PM »
Dan,

Will I ever live that one down?  It was a suicidal chipmunk, I swear.  He ran right under the tire. I had no chance.  BTW, although I drove by it later, I had nothing to do with that big dead bear on I35 near Pineville last week.....let's just put those rumors to rest.

When I first opened GRL, they had a press day and the pro at Superior National told me they had a better site, but we had the better course.  It had just opened when the Legend was opening.  When I went over there, I agreed in general.

It is 18 holes from Don Herfort, which fit the land nicely but have some bland features.  Joel Goldstrand added nine holes, which include the signature fifth and sixth Canyon, that draws the play, but some others in blah land, and which are just too tough (IHMO) for resort play.   The courses are mixed and matched.  We tried to add some back tee length, but keep or shorten the rest of the course.  Back tees were only 6400 yards or so.  

Besides the typical push back 5-10 yards most holes, we are putting the back tee for River 3 across the Poplar River, near 2 Green.  We re-routed River 6-7-8 from a 3-short 4-awkward 5 to a long 4-short 4- par 3 arrangement to fit the land better.  That drops par to 71 with two near 500 yard par 4 holes from the backs.  However, 495 downhill 100 feet doesn't play 495, so I didn't want to stretch that out to an easy five.

We will redo the River Nine next year, and the Canyon Nine after that.  For now, they want to see if the financial results hold true before committing to the Mountain Nine, which makes sense to me.

As to Jim's questions, Cook County owns it, and it was built to attract tourist play, but is run more like a muni, so the business plan is reverting back to its original mission statement.  It is sparsely populated up there, so it makes sense.  They should get regular play from the millions of tourists, plus Duluth and Thunder Bay, Ontario and the rest of Minnesota and central Canada.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 02:10:37 PM »
Have you legally changed your name to Jeff Brauer ASGCA? Has anyone ever addressed you as Mr. Asgca?  Oy.

Regardless it looks like a nice place and assume it will look completely different with the fairways widened.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 02:14:46 PM »
Will I ever live that one down?

Not unless you run me down, too.

P.S. to Joel Stewart: He wanted to legally change his name to "Keffrey Bauer," but Golf Digest said they owned the rights to that name.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 03:54:35 PM »
Dan,

Someone else at a recent golf conference introduced me as "Keffrey" in a reference to that, also.  Wow, some things just have a long shelf life!

Jeff Blume

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 09:19:22 PM »
Jeff,

Great looking site with some real potential.  Those holes along the river will really be spectacular.  I look forward to seeing the finished product.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 09:12:24 PM »
Any more comments on the progress, Jeff?  My daughter is going for the weekend at the in-laws family cabin very near this property.  Unfortunately, she doesn't know diddly about GCA and so I can't really ask her to file a report on how it all is shaping up!  ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 09:22:14 PM »
RJ,

They got 7 holes of the 9 planned on the River nine shaped, so progress is well ahead of where we thought it would be.  They are busy getting straw down to button up for winter this week and my site visits for the year are done.

I am happy so far, but don't really have too many pix to share, plus they are hard to see in dirt anyway.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back