GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Meadow Brook Club

<< < (2/5) > >>

TEPaul:
"I think MeadowBrook is an exceptional golf course, especially when you consider that some of the original holes were sold off or abandoned, yet the course remains very strong."

Pat:

That's news to me! What holes of the present originally constructed Meadowbrook were sold off or abandoned? As far as I know the course that was built by Dick Wilson in the 1950s is the course that Meadowbrook is today. Perhaps you're thinking of the course that the original Meadowbrook golf club sold when they moved to their present site.

SPDB:
For the IKE are they playing the course in its normal order, or are they swapping the nines like they did for the Seniors Tournament? Never understood why they did that, the 18th at Meadow Brook is a terrifically exciting finisshing hole. Take your par there.

Patrick_Mucci:
TEPaul,

When you play there you can see some of the abandoned holes, others I believe were on land that was sold off.
I'll try to find out more about those holes.  I believe that you can see them from the 2nd tee or 4th tee.

ChipOat:
Tom Paul:

Patrick is correct!!!

At least 3 holes (perhaps 4) on the south end of the property from Wilson's original were sacrificed to a developer's siren call for $$$$ sometime during the 1960's.  There is now a glass office building where those holes used to be.  There was at least 1 practice hole that was kept up for awhile but I believe lack of interest + cost containment ultimately did that in, too.

I do not know which holes were added/altered to make the current layout what it is nor do I know if Dick Wilson was the architect for that project.

SPDB:
Chip?Pat/Tom - the practice hole is still there. You can see it as you play up 1, and from the 2nd Tee. I didn't know there were 4 holes scrapped. Which holes replaced them?

Frank - Be below the hole (if possible) on #5 an #9, which is not easy, given that both are blind shots.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version