News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

Twisted Gun Golf Club
« on: August 05, 2003, 11:06:37 PM »
I may have found a new "Hidden Gem" and when I say "Hidden" I mean "Hidden"!!!!  This one might nearly rival Sand Hills or Bandon for a "Destination" day based strictly on effort required to get there.  Located in Wharncliffe, WV Twisted Gun is not only off the beaten path, at this time there is barely a path period to get there.  The course is so remote, that in order to get golfers there they had to build their own road up to the mountian-top plateau to get there.  They involved the WV DOT in the building process along the way, and have donated the finished road to the state to maintain as a state road.  However as of yet the paperwork has not been approved to officially open the road.  So for now the only access to the course is still through an active coal mine site.  You park down the mountian in the mine parking lot and they shuttle you up to the course with a couple of mini-vans.

The course was built on the property of an operating coal mine.  It is literally the top of a mountian that was cut off to create a fairly flat plateau on top of a mountian that when it is done will be nearly 2500 acres in size.  They used the fill dirt and rock and molded it into a farily minimalist looking course.  Many holes do give you a very links land feel, and the great percolation caused by building on top of Mine fill mean that even on a day where it had poured in the morning I found the course to be pretty firm (especially around and including the greens) and breezy on top of the mountian.

Other than the fact that you really have to be going there to get there it is a good golf course, and you cant beat the price 18 holes for $25, probably mid $30s with a cart.  The design is credited to an architect named Mark Nicewonder who I believe is out of TX somewhere (can any Texas GCAers confirm or deny?) and although I didnt know what to expect out of an unknown name, he did an great job with the course.

Here are a couple pictures from my trip around Twisted Gun GC (sorry my web storage site makes these pictures so small, they are really great original pictures and these do not do justice to the scope and size of this property):

View from behind the Par 4 Fourth green.  You can see the native grasses covering most of the property as well as some of the large stones randomly strewn across the property.  You can see some of the current mine work on distant mountian peaks.  This area when it is done will apparently be the corridor for the future Interstate I-73 which is supposed to run from around Detroit to Myrtle Beach.  Obviously in 10 years this course will not be "off the beaten path" it will be a few miles off an interstate exit.

The par 5 12th showing some of the topography, and again the large expanses of native grasses that seperate most every hole.  

Truely a "Hidden" gem, but maybe not for long, get there before everyone can.  For further information on the course here is some information garnered from their website at www.twistedgungolf.com

The Twisted Gun Golf Course was built as a cooperative effort between Arch Coal’s Mingo Logan Coal Company, Premium Energy Corporation and Pocahontas Land Corporation. Mingo Logan is a mineral lessee of Pocahontas Land Corporation. Premium Energy Corporation is a contract mining company for Mingo Logan and operated a mountain top surface mine named the Low Gap Mine.

In 1995, Mingo Logan, Premium Energy and Pocahontas Land entered into agreements for the mining of the Low Gap Mine and, out of concern for the recreational needs of the surrounding area, jointly agreed to permit the mine’s post-mining land use as a golf course with the approval of the West Virginia Dept. of Environmental Protection.  The development of the Twisted Gun Golf Course was integrated into the normal mining reclamation process – and paid for through contributions from Arch Coal, Premium Energy, and Pocahontas Land on every ton of coal mined from the Low Gap Mine.

With the mining and final construction of the golf course complete, the public course opened for play in August 2002. Twisted Gun is a “links” style course, which is rare in Appalachia. It is positioned to take advantage of the prevailing winds. Until now, the West Virginia counties of Mingo, McDowell and Logan did not have an 18-hole golf course due to the great expense of course development in the region’s mountainous terrain. The course is under consideration for the proposed West Virginia Golf Trail.

The course was named “Twisted Gun,” after the Twisted Gun Gap that is 1-1/2 miles away. Legend has it that, in the late 1700s, two explorers were running from the Indians when one was mortally wounded. His partner took the second rifle and twisted the barrel between two trees in the gap to prevent the Indians from using it while he made his escape.

Here is a sample of the directions that they list on their website, this is the definition of remote.  Especially when you consider that the directions start with Charleston, WV.  Not exactly a crossroads of ease and convenience to get to.

Directions From Charleston and Points North of Gilbert:

*Take U.S. 119 South to Logan.

*Take the Logan Exit and turn left at the end of the ramp to State Route 73 East.

*Follow 73 East about two miles to the traffic light.

*At the traffic light go straight through the intersection to State Route 44 South.

*Follow 44 South about 15 miles to the intersection with U.S. 52.

*Turn right to U.S. 52 North and go down the mountain about ¾ mile.

*Make a sharp left to Beech Creek Road at the PSD water tank.

*Follow Beech Creek Road about 2 miles to the top of the mountain.

*At the top of the mountain, go left to Ben Creek Road.

*Follow Ben Creek Road about 3 miles. Turn right to the Mingo Logan Coal guardhouse where the large conveyor tube crosses the road.

*Park in the parking lot near the guardhouse and a shuttle will take you to the golf course.

WHEW!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2003, 11:25:27 PM by Turboe »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Michael Whitaker

Re:Twisted Gun Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 11:17:22 PM »
Daryl - You are a piece of work!! How do you find these places? This place looks fantastic. I am constantly amazed by your range of golf travels... do you ever get time to sell any steel? When are we going to get together and play around here? Drop me a note when you've got the time.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Evan_Green

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 11:39:52 PM »
What a great post Turboe- I am fascinated by that course- it looks like it is in very good condition for such a remote public course.

jg7236

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 12:42:34 AM »
Mark Nicewonder is out of Texas.  I read a article a few months ago on this entire project.  If I recall right, Mr. Nicewonder isn't even a golf course architect nor does he practice golf course architecture.  I forgot what type of business he is into.  I do know that he did most of the design work over the phone fromTexas and the project manager for the construction company implemented his ideas in West Virginia.  If I can dig up the article I will let you all know about the details on the entire project.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 07:12:51 AM »
Mike,

Ironically enough I actually have some potential sales calls that I can make in that part of the country.  So I did so in the morning, then in the afternoon I searched out this course.  At one point during the journey I thought it was not going to be worth the trouble, but I was wrong.  So actually this met my motto of "Steel Salesman / Thrill Seeker"

I did not know that Nicewonder was not at all involved in the golf architecture business.  I did hear that he had some kind of relation to one of the owners, but I thought he worked in that area of expertise.  You are correct that the owners did most of the construction work themselves, and they did a very nice job.  Much like Pete Dye Golf Club the owner being a coal mining company has all the necessary earth moving equipment (and then some), and reqisite knowledge on earthmoving and shaping.  Nicewonder did the layout, etc. the put into reality.

Interesting.

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2003, 07:16:59 AM »
Turboe,

see http://www.jsonline.com/golfplus/ap/jul03/ap-glf-golf-after-070203.asp

I will be in touch next week about my Pinehurst logistics.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2003, 07:34:14 AM »
Mike,

Thanks for the link that explains some more.  Interesting stuff.

ps Yes I was just thinking about your trip last week.  I am hoping I can make plans to be over there on Friday, I dont think that Saturday will work for me.  Email me again with the courses and times and we can chat more.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2003, 09:51:21 AM »
Turboe,
Thanks for the post and the pictures.  I spend a week or so each summer in the Wytheville, VA area, which is about 40 min. from Bluefield.  It looked from the directions that this course was on reasonably close to Bluefield.  I'll add it as a destination next summer.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2003, 09:51:39 AM »
Daryl,

I checked where this place is on the map and really is remote for the eastern U.S.  College football folks always joke about how remote Blacksburg, VA is and hard it is to get to (<10 miles off of the interstate, can't be that hard), but this place is probably 2-3 hours from Blacksburg.  I once drove not terribly far from here taking the scenic route back from a conference in Louisville (to Blacksburg), going through the small college town of Pikeville, KY.

This is as remote as the coal mining town Homer Hickam ('Rocket Boys'/'October Sky' and NASA) is from.  Oh, and Hickam is a VT alum.   8)

The name Twisted Gun is differently interesting and the folks in Myrtle Beach are probably P.O.'d they never thought of it for the name of a course around there, because it sounds like a MB course.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2003, 12:16:35 PM »
Turboe:

What's the deal with the following?

Total yardage from the tips

Slope from the tips

Course Rating from the tips

I'm heading out thru WV for a conference that I have to attend in the Wheeling area. Is it far from there?

Let me know ASAP -- the pictures look great!

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2003, 12:27:12 PM »
Matt,

Going to TG's web site (Turboe linked it in his initial post) would have yielded the total yardage, 7018, from tips.  Did not give CR/slope, though.  A call to the course would help:

(304) 664-9100

It's not really close to Wheeling, which is extreme northern WV and TG is extreme SW WV.

Here is layout:

Wes_Pumphrey

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2003, 02:53:14 PM »
Darryl:

Based on the layout this has to be one of the more walkable modern courses, especially in light of the fact that it was a land reclaimation project.  Is it as walkable as it looks?

Wes

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2003, 03:57:05 PM »
I think a course with a name like Twisted Gun G.C. should seriously consider admitting Rich Goodale as a member. He certainly is someone who only notices targets and and very little else and his general thinking on architecture is definitely twisted!

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2003, 02:50:09 PM »
Yes it is very walkable, one downhill par three and a couple gradual little uphill walks to get you back to that level, but other than that it is very gentle mostly flat site.

"Twisted Gun" comes from the Twisted Gun gap near where the course is built.  Kind of a cool story.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2003, 11:04:52 PM »
I just wanted to bring this back up to the top as I heard a rumor that one of our regulars might have gotten out there today.  I am looking forward to hearing his thoughts.

And also I am kind of concerned wanting to make sure that he was able to find his way there and more importantly back again.  I am sure it took a while to get somewhere with internet access for the night so I guess we can give him a few day grace period.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2003, 11:13:36 PM »
Daryl;

Thanks for turning us onto this course.  What a GREAT website this is.

Looking forward to hearing from "the other GCA regular".  :)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2003, 11:34:21 AM »
I played Twisted on Tuesday and will post a detailed hole-by-hole and other related info in a day or two.

One other thing -- finding Yale or Sand Hills or Red Mike Resort is a piece of cake compared to getting to and finding Twisted Gun.

You could give the Navy seals directions and they might miss it. One other thing -- the roads leading to the course could easily be used as a location shot for the next Bond movie. One false turn and you're deader than Elvis!!!

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2003, 11:36:43 AM »
Wow!  Now I REALLY want to go there!
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2003, 11:42:36 AM »
Matt;

You drove to Twisted Gun in Bumsnut, West Virginia!?!?!

I'm nuts...you're certifiable!!!   ;D

Jim Franklin

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2003, 01:01:23 PM »
How close is it to The Greenbrier? I am going there next week and wouldn't mind travelling to play another course if it's not too far.
Mr Hurricane

ChasLawler

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2003, 01:14:26 PM »
I would put it at least a couple of hours from White Sulpher Springs. The Greenbrier is almost right on the border with Virginia in Eastern WVa, and Twisted Gun is all the way across the state in Western WVa.

Try Fincastle CC in Bluefield if for some strange reason you felt the need to leave the Greenbrier. Of course The Homestead is right there as well.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2003, 01:18:52 PM by Cabell Ackerly »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2003, 01:35:00 PM »
Cabell
There is a Fincastle CC near Roanoke.  Is there also one in Bluefield?  I have some relatives who live on the Roanoke course who have been after me to play there when I'm in the area.  Is it worth the trip?

ChasLawler

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2003, 02:00:16 PM »
A.G. Crockett,
There is only one Fincastle CC that I know of, and it is in Bluefield - which is pretty close to Roanoke. It's a Dick Wilson Design on a wonderful piece of property. The course was constructed at the same time he was building his course at The Greenbrier. It's worth playing IMO if you're within a couple of hours and have the time.

If you're in Roanoke - CC Of Roanoke has a pretty neat Tillinghast design that's worth trying to get on.

Sorry to divert this thread temporarily off topic.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2003, 06:22:16 PM »
I had the pleasure in playing Twisted Gun on Tuesday and as I said before the adventure in getting there is certainly something only die-hard types (certifiable ones like me and others!) will venture to play.

Here's the skinny on the course ...

Par-72 / 7,015 yards from the tips
73.1 Course Rating / 124 Slope

Fees: $25 + sales tax to walk 18 holes (you can do this if you want)

$37 + sales tax to play 18 with cart

How is the course?

First, I give huge marks for the vision in getting something like this accomplished. The ultimate goal from what was told to me was in developing the site as a major reclamation project and to build future investment for Mingo County. The desire to build something where people can go and enjoy themselves is something the owners should be proud about but guys and gals I will tell you this -- it is a hike to get there and even though the people are first rate the golf course doesn't cut it in my mind.

Why?

The layout was done by a gentleman doing his first design and the design is simply pedestrian stuff with a hint of a few holes that raise the meter of interest.

The bunkering style and patterns on the course are really lite stuff and come no where close to what you would see from a modern designer like a Gil Hanse, Mike DeVries, Tim Liddy, et al.

To the course's credit the shape of the layout is quite good and hats off to the superintendent for accomplishing a major grow-in in less than eight months.

The issue with Twisted Gun is that the overall off-course site is simply grand stuff. From the 8th tee alone you can see three states -- Kentucky, Virginia and West Virginia. But the heart of any course is what you get for 18 holes. Twisted Gun is simply empty on the architectural details. The off-course views will WOW the basic customer and Twisted Gun certainly maxes them out, however, in the final analysis you need a design that makes you want to keep playing and playing. That didn't happen for me at Twisted Gun.

Here's a quick rundown on the course ...

1st 385 yards -- simply a basic get out and go hole. Nothing more.
2nd 200 yards -- big green with flanking bunkers. Nuff said.
3rd 490 yards -- short par-5 that has no real test on either the tee shot or second. Just grip and rip.
4th 355 yards -- better hole as fairway bunker cuts in on the dogleg right hole. The green also is slightly elevated and a bit contoured.
5th 450 yards -- good driving hole but fairway bunkers needed to be further down the fairway on the inside part of this dog-leg left. Green is also good with fall-off in front section and some defensible pin locations. Rated #1 handicap hole and definitely the best on the front.
6th 170 yards -- pedestrian hole -- only one good pin location when it's dead left for maximum carry.
7th 445 yards -- OK dog-leg right but fairway bunkers protecting the inside corner needed to be deeper to catch the bigger hitters.
8th 550 yards -- Fair driving hole because of the same issue mentioned previously.
9th 420 yards -- good hole with fronting water hazard.

10th 230 yards -- the standard drop-shot par-3. Looks good but plays easy as bunkers are merely window dressing.
11th 445 yards -- superb hole! Hole moves right with water pushing in from that side. Could have been better if bailout bunkers were tighter to the playing line. Green is simple.
12th 570 yards -- long par-5 that's simply pro forma stuff.
13th 180 yards -- better than average par-3 as hole is elevated and the green is angled from back right to lower left.
14th 345 yards -- the lamest of holes. Not a shread of strategy -- just bust it and make birdie.
15th 440 yards -- superb hole as it plays downhill and moves slightly to the left. The approach is also better protected by a greenside bunker but it could have been pushed closer to the target.
16th 550 yards -- again -- standard par-5 that goes in the SAME DIRECTION as the 12th!
17th 360 yards -- Good hole! Plays uphill and moves slightly to the right. Big hitter can attempt to go up as far as they can hit it but the slightest push to the right will reach grass that will simply swallow your ball. Blind approach also works quite well.
18th 430 yards -- OK closer but little trouble off the tee and the approach looks good with water cutting in from the left side but it's more cosmetic than architectural heft.

Overall -- I'd give Twisted Gun a 4 on the Doak scale. The sad part is that I was told the desire was to go low profile with the bunkers but they could have done far better than the cat-traps you see on many holes. I will say this though -- the sand material is simply grand stuff to play from -- they should send oit over to their distant cousin Twisted Dune!

P.S. One last thing to be fair -- I was told there may be efforts to tweak the course in the coming months. Clearly, the bunkering issue needs help. Oh my -- help me! I'm beginning to sound like The Emperor regarding the "look" of bunkers!!!

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2003, 12:44:39 AM »
Yes the bunkering certainly could have been more dramatic, but I think this is part of what you might expect given the relative unknown designing the course and the construction being done on a buget with most of the work being done with construction assets that they had at their disposal (on their payroll already).  But I think that is part of the lure of this place. It is a little more understated, and who knows if the bunkers will be allowed to weather with some years and grow into place.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back