News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Strulowitz

Cabo San Lucas Golf
« on: October 01, 2013, 01:31:56 PM »
Going to spend my 20th anniversary in Cabo, everything is booked except the golf.  Lucky me, my wife is a huge golfer, so we plan on four rounds during our seven day stay.  Checked out the prices, mama mia!  Talk about sticker shock.  But what the hell, it is our anniversary, we will  indulge ourselves.  So, I have three  questions:

1.  What would be the four top courses that some of you would recommend?  .  We are both decent golfers, shoot mostly in the 90s, sometimes creep in the high 80s.

2.  Are there any discounts available?  Is there a web site that I could go to book discounted tee times or is  there an agency in Cabos I could contact that could get me a deal.  Little luck finding this on my own.  

3.  Any suggestions for a special place to spend our anniversary night for dinner?.   We prefer Mexican.   Does not have to be fancy, just memorable.

Thanks in advance to all!

Emile Bonfiglio

Re: Cabo San Lucas Golf
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 01:37:22 PM »
send a PM to Greg Tallman...he will help you out
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
I was there approximately 10 years ago and played Cabo del Sol - Ocean Course and Querencia.  I would highly recommend both of these, especially the Ocean Course as it's probably the best Nicklaus course that I've played.  And, the fish tacos at the turn are terrifice!

The Dunes course at Diamante looks like a must play.  It wasn't built when I was there, but it looks fantastic.  Here is a link:
http://www.diamantecabosanlucas.com/cabo-golf-courses/dunes/

Some of the best meals that we had were at the resort where we stayed, Las Ventanas al Paraiso.  I'd definitely recommend doing dinner there one night.  

Kyle Casella

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 01:49:47 PM »
IMO- Top Two: Diamante (private) & Cabo del Sol Ocean (http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/mexico/cabodelsol2/). Next grouping, in no particular order: El Dorado (private), Querencia (Private), Cabo Real, Puerto Los Cabos, Campestre, Cabo del Sol Desert. Last: Palmilla and Cabo San Lucas CC.

If you are staying at certain hotels, there might be deals at the Questro group courses (Cabo Real, Puerto Los Cabos, and Campestre). They recently altered the "sexy" holes on Cabo Real down by the ocean to add more hotel rooms, so I think the rate has gone down there. They used to have a 36 hole deal for both Cabo del Sol courses, but they have done away with that and the fee for the Ocean is $350 (I think). Personally, I think it is worth playing once for the experience.

I highly recommend Cocina del Mar at Esperanza for your anniversary dinner. The pictures on the website don't do it justice, but they have terraces right on the cliff that are spectacular. The food is excellent and the margaritas are killer.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 02:01:55 PM »

A good friend who spends six months a year there suggested:

Cabo del Sol Ocean Course
Palmilla Arroyo/Mountain combination
Cabo del Sol Desert Course
Diamante- It is private but you might be able to get on of some CC Pro called in advance. Otherwise, Play the Cabo del Sol Ocean course a second time because it is the best course down there.

Bob

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 02:28:29 PM »
I was able to get a discount package through Questro Golf. 

Here is my guide to Cabo golf:  http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,55381.0.html

Diamante is possible but be prepared for a timeshare hard sell.  Cabo Del Sol Ocean is not to be missed.  Find the best price for other courses.

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Greg Tallman

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 03:30:39 PM »
Going to spend my 20th anniversary in Cabo, everything is booked except the golf.  Lucky me, my wife is a huge golfer, so we plan on four rounds during our seven day stay.  Checked out the prices, mama mia!  Talk about sticker shock.  But what the hell, it is our anniversary, we will  indulge ourselves.  So, I have three  questions:

1.  What would be the four top courses that some of you would recommend?  .  We are both decent golfers, shoot mostly in the 90s, sometimes creep in the high 80s.

2.  Are there any discounts available?  Is there a web site that I could go to book discounted tee times or is  there an agency in Cabos I could contact that could get me a deal.  Little luck finding this on my own.  

3.  Any suggestions for a special place to spend our anniversary night for dinner?.   We prefer Mexican.   Does not have to be fancy, just memorable.

Eric, When are you visiting?

Courses, in order or quality would be:

Tier 1
Cabo del Sol (Ocean) - $195 to $355 depending on where you are staying and time of day you will play
Diamante (Dunes) - $306 and you will have to go through a sales presentation (probably worth the aggravation)

Tier 2
Chileno Bay - opens Dec 31 @ $225 per player
Querencia - very limited unaccompanied play @ $335 per player
Cabo del Sol (Desert) - $100 - $230 depending on where you are staying and time of day you will play
Palmilla - $130-$235 depending on where you stay and time of day you will play

Tier 3
Club Campestre - $110-170 (packages available)
Cabo Real - $130-$225 (packages available)
Puerto Los Cabos - $125-$205 (packages available)
Cabo San Lucas CC - $80-$150

Mexican Dinner for Anniversary - Don Manuel's at Capella Pedregal $$$$$ but worth it

Kyle Casella

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 03:43:34 PM »
Greg- so Chileno Bay is opening finally? How is it looking?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 03:44:52 PM »
Greg- so Chileno Bay is opening finally? How is it looking?

Needs a lot of TLC but they are making progress.

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 03:51:16 PM »

Eric, When are you visiting?

Courses, in order or quality would be:

Tier 1
Cabo del Sol (Ocean) - $195 to $355 depending on where you are staying and time of day you will play
Diamante (Dunes) - $306 and you will have to go through a sales presentation (probably worth the aggravation)

Tier 2
Chileno Bay - opens Dec 31 @ $225 per player
Querencia - very limited unaccompanied play @ $335 per player
Cabo del Sol (Desert) - $100 - $230 depending on where you are staying and time of day you will play
Palmilla - $130-$235 depending on where you stay and time of day you will play

Tier 3
Club Campestre - $110-170 (packages available)
Cabo Real - $130-$225 (packages available)
Puerto Los Cabos - $125-$205 (packages available)
Cabo San Lucas CC - $80-$150

Mexican Dinner for Anniversary - Don Manuel's at Capella Pedregal $$$$$ but worth it

Visiting in mid-January,

Thanks to everyone so far for all the great info and tips!  Definitely looking forward to it!

Andrew Buck

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 04:32:59 PM »
Not sure if you can share, but how many rounds would the typical course in cabo do a year (excluding the private options)?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 08:58:13 PM »
Not sure if you can share, but how many rounds would the typical course in cabo do a year (excluding the private options)?

Public/Resort courses range from 15K to 28K these days. These numbers are way down from the highs of 2006/2007.

Sean Leary

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 07:55:56 PM »
CDS Ocean may be the best desert course in the world. (Had to, Greg ;) )

I have played Querencia a bunch and it is worth playing. Severe, but a great place. As good as Eldorado I think.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 09:52:33 AM »
I did a review of Cabo golf here:

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=5208

I played half of the notable courses (CDS Ocean and Desert, Cabo Real, Diamante Dunes, Costa Baja)

Left to play:  Querencia, Chileno Bay, The new Diamante when it's done.  Maybe a couple others I can't recall off the top of my head...

The skinny so far?  If they ever get the turf right at Diamante Dunes (too spongy and grabby - can't play the ground game), they will be nu8mber on in the region and possibly battle Casa de Campo for top slot off shore.  As it stands right now, CDS Ocean holds the top spot.  It deserves it - it's very good.  Moreover, Greg Tallman is INVALUABLE as a resource for all things Cabo, plus he's so much fun to hang around with.  You must catch up with them when go down there, he's the "golf jefe" of the peninsula!

No9w I thoroughly enjoyed my day trip up to Costa Baja in the seaside town of La Paz...about two and a half hours north.  It is NOT a GCA.com place - not lots of xs and os architecture, but it's fun and beautiful...a great day with the wife or g'friend. It's like Coeur D'Alene - you go there for the experience and enjoy a nice low impact day.  You'll probably shoot a low score there too, it isn't a taxinjg golf course at all

And watch out for the food in Cabo!  Don't get cold jumped by some weird molecular gastronic  foam or some or some lettuce pizza or some or some asparagus margarita or something:)

Here's what I recommend - make Cabo Del Sol your base of operations, then take a day at Querencia, Diamante, and Costa Baja.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Greg Tallman

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »
I did a review of Cabo golf here:

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=5208

I played half of the notable courses (CDS Ocean and Desert, Cabo Real, Diamante Dunes, Costa Baja)

Left to play:  Querencia, Chileno Bay, The new Diamante when it's done.  Maybe a couple others I can't recall off the top of my head...

The skinny so far?  If they ever get the turf right at Diamante Dunes (too spongy and grabby - can't play the ground game), they will be nu8mber on in the region and possibly battle Casa de Campo for top slot off shore.  As it stands right now, CDS Ocean holds the top spot.  It deserves it - it's very good.  Moreover, Greg Tallman is INVALUABLE as a resource for all things Cabo, plus he's so much fun to hang around with.  You must catch up with them when go down there, he's the "golf jefe" of the peninsula!

No9w I thoroughly enjoyed my day trip up to Costa Baja in the seaside town of La Paz...about two and a half hours north.  It is NOT a GCA.com place - not lots of xs and os architecture, but it's fun and beautiful...a great day with the wife or g'friend. It's like Coeur D'Alene - you go there for the experience and enjoy a nice low impact day.  You'll probably shoot a low score there too, it isn't a taxinjg golf course at all

And watch out for the food in Cabo!  Don't get cold jumped by some weird molecular gastronic  foam or some or some lettuce pizza or some or some asparagus margarita or something:)

Here's what I recommend - make Cabo Del Sol your base of operations, then take a day at Querencia, Diamante, and Costa Baja.

It takes a hard core New Yorker to appreciate my... uh... passionate views on... uh... well... everything!  ;)

Would immediately put Chileno ahead of everything not Diamante or Ocean Course and your views of our Desert Course are flawed, connection issues not withstanding.

Next visit I'll set the dining schedule and it will still make you headline but for the right reasons!

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 04:33:02 PM »
Cabo del Sol and Diamante are the 2 must plays, but I'm boycotting till Don Emiliano reopens...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Greg Tallman

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
Cabo del Sol and Diamante are the 2 must plays, but I'm boycotting till Don Emiliano reopens...

Nahhhhh come on back, I'll have you over to the house for some real Mexican cooking. The girfriend's, not mine.

Or you can open the wallet wide and go to Don Manuel's... bext Mexican eatery in Cabo.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 10:09:22 AM »
I like the back of the Desert course (except 18!).  But Greg, you can't walk the Desert! 

Hey Greg, what's with those pirate ships that go sailing by 16?  Got any pics? Those are pretty cool!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 10:16:18 AM »
Besides the outstanding golf, the food at Cabo del Sol's clubhouse beat the hotel's food by a wide margin.  That could be the first time I've ever said that, but we actually took the shuttle back up to the course to eat some dinners!!

Kyle Casella

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 10:39:56 AM »
Besides the outstanding golf, the food at Cabo del Sol's clubhouse beat the hotel's food by a wide margin.  That could be the first time I've ever said that, but we actually took the shuttle back up to the course to eat some dinners!!

True- I remember the brunch being excellent as well!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 10:49:38 AM »
Agreed. The food at the courses blew away the food at some of the restaurants we got dragged to.

Kyle Casella

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 04:01:04 PM »
For those interested in all things Cabo, I tried to play Chileno Bay this week as it opened on New Year's Eve. At first I understood that they would allow outside play, however the day before I wanted to play I was notified that the ownership group decided to limit play to members and their guests only (with no offer of reciprocal or sales tour like Diamante, etc.). Not sure if this is a long term or short term policy.

Although I respect their decision to do what they think is best, I was a bit surprised they did not want to at least try to sell me on it as the private golf market in Cabo is getting very competitive with Querencia, El Dorado, Diamante, Chileno, and soon to be Quivira.

Speaking of Quivira, I saw a bit of the course while fishing. No doubt the property looks spectacular (see the view from the boat) and I hope Jack delivers. The routing looks a little confusing but that might be because they are planning 18 more. Maybe Greg T knows more.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 04:21:34 PM »
The routing will not be for walkers.
A  long cart ride will join the two sides of the course, that from one side of the lighthouse to the other.
That is not meant as a critisism but just the only way from what I could see to keep anything at all of a flow and utilise the most spectacular of the landsite.
Those holes around the lighthouse are rather spectacular, I walked up there whilst staying at Diamante, it will be a tremendous view from up there for he gofers.
In the next few days I will post pre sprigging of the new two holes at Diamante that are going to be wonderful, and replace the only two holes that in my mind really didnt fit.
The two new holes will only serve to enhance the reputation of the course.

Kyle Casella

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 04:39:30 PM »
Thanks Michael, that explains a lot given the holes in the canyon behind the hill in my photo and the beachfront holes closer to CSL. The holes on the bluff really look great, especially whatever they are building in that huge hollow of sand.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back