News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Dismal Red vs Ballyneal, a boxing match
« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2013, 09:29:13 AM »
Round 5. Yin vs Yang. In this round we are faced with contrasting styles. Ballyneal is trying to rope a dope while Red is throwing haymakers. The only question is which style you prefer.  Honestly this judge loves a par 3 that requires a driver off the tee. I think you know where this is going.

The 5th at Ballyneal is a truly wonderful hole.  A classic strategic test that while simple in concept finds a way to get out of simples way. Truly a hole that would be a jewel on any course for any player. Love the bunker, love the green, the lack of elevation change, love it, love it , love it.  Get it?, I love it.  Still remember the first time I stepped on the tee. Relaxed, serene, confident in execution.  I'm feeling a theme here that can't be bad if you like a roller coasters.  Serene at the tee, squally on the green.

Red 5th defines the course and sets the golfer up for future vertical challenges.  When did Doak grow a set and decide to force a golfer to control his driver? I was surprised at the early concept of the hole and shocked at its execution.  It reminds me of the guy who recently had to have his nutsack reduced. You know, the guy who wore a hoodie upside down just so he could go in public.  Balls to the walls so to speak.  I'm Anastasia to its Christian.  The hole has me, it owns me, I just want to please it.

Verdict: Red 10 - 8

Running card:

1.  Red 10 - 8
2.  BN  10 - 9
3.  BN  10 - 8
4.  Red 10 - 9
5.  Red 10 - 8

Tom_Doak

« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2013, 09:50:46 AM »
When did Doak grow a set and decide to force a golfer to control his driver?

Matt Ward got me to think about it.  He promised he'd quit the site if I succeeded, and was true to his word.  ;)

No way the scoring on this one could be anything but 10-9, though.  The 5th is probably the best of the par-3's at Ballyneal.  It might be 10-8 if you were comparing the longest par-3's on each course, but you aren't.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2013, 09:58:57 AM »
Tom,

The scoring is 10 - 8 because of my bias towards par 3 driver holes which I included in my review.  I will be as kind to the long par 3 at Ballyneal. Because I have not worked past the 5th I currently can not tell you which hole at Red it will face.

I also like taking liberty and using 10 - 8 so this exercise is different than your typical match play comparison.  I'm sure you did the same with you chess notations. Perhaps one more ! for emphasis than a chess master would have felt necessary.

Eric Smith

« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2013, 10:23:43 AM »
Red 5

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2013, 10:26:45 AM »
Eric,

In the shoot out, out of eight golfers left how many made par?  I know my partner did but can not remember if he was the only one.  Maybe one more at most.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2013, 10:36:14 AM »
I'll be driving through Mullen this Thursday and plan on stopping by to take a look at the course to refresh my memory on a few holes.  Unfortunately I will have already posted my thoughts thru 7 by then. #HFRO

Andrew Buck

« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2013, 10:38:16 AM »
How long is the 5th at DR?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2013, 10:44:11 AM »
How long is the 5th at DR?

Andrew,

Much like Ballyneal the tees are eternal.  The hole plays around 230 or so.  The huge mound and pin position plays a major role in the shot required.  A ground game fade also works.  I was in that giant bunker during the shoot out.  40 yd blind bunker shot, ouch.

John Kirk

« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2013, 12:37:28 PM »
Andrew Buck,

The 5th hole at Dismal River is 261 yards long.  Here is a picture from Jimmy Muratt:

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2013, 12:44:36 PM »
The 5th at Ballyneal is my favorite par 3 on the course.  That small, nasty bunker that fronts the green really gets your attention (especially once you've been in it).  It's easy to then bail out long or pull it left into another difficult bunker.  Putts from the back of the green are difficult and recoveries from the front or left bunkers require a deft touch.  It's just a great par 3.

I also really like the challenge presented with the 5th at Dismal.  The huge bunker short right immediately grabs your attention.  If you clear the bunker, the ball will tumble on to the green.  Balls played left of the green will kick a little right but not as much as I originally thought when first playing the hole.  The green has subtle contours throughout.  An excellent, long par 3.  

Tough to choose a winner here, but I give the slight edge to Ballyneal's 5th, 10-9.

Running Card:

1.  Dismal 10-9
2.  Dismal 10-9
3.  Push 10-10
4.  Ballyneal 10-9
5.  Ballyneal 10-9
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 02:37:04 PM by Jimmy Muratt »

John Kirk

« Reply #135 on: October 01, 2013, 12:58:35 PM »
I have a nice surprise.  The renowned golf photographer Larry Lambrecht has donated pictures for this thread.  I will limit the use of his photos to one picture per golf hole, unless I think two views is essential.

First, Ballyneal's 5th hole, about 181 yards from the back tees, with options down to about 110-120 yards.  This view is taken left of the teeing area, but I liked the way it lines up the big bunkers on the right:

Second, since Jimmy's photo from the tee tells the story well, here is a nice picture of Dismal River's 5th green in morning light, showing the gently rippled surface:

Please don't use these photos for commercial purposes, but it is OK for you to copy them for your own collection.

Larry's website is www.golfstock.net.  I particularly like the framed AluminArte products, a detailed and crisp photo presentation.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 10:15:59 PM by John Kirk »

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #136 on: October 01, 2013, 01:19:46 PM »
Someone asked the length of the hole and the two JK's responded, but basically the hole can be played fro 261 yds to 210 yds from across the back to middle tee area, and 160 from the fwd tee.
The tees shown are there, sort of, but most of the area above the 7th green can be used as tee.

John Kirk

« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2013, 02:03:02 PM »
Shot selection is fun at Ballyneal's 5th hole.  The small pot bunker in front of the green often dictates how the shot should be attempted.  If wind is present, it plays downwind about 65-75% of the time.  For me, it's 7-8-9 iron, unless it's into the wind, when it's typically 5-6-7 iron.

It's a cool green, the first one with a "pipe" shaped trough.  Middle and back right hole locations often yield a second shot where playing it "off the backstop", the slope right of the green, is a legitimate choice.  Back left pins generally require that you are at or near the back of the green.  On downwind or calm wind shots to the front half of the green, I often take less club and try to hit it high to avoid the pot bunker.  Middle left pins are for suckers; pull it left into the giant bunker and bogey will be the typical score.  It's not a hard hole, but one where hole location means a lot.

At Dismal River, I played all back tees that day, in my effort to understand what I could and could not do.  On the 5th hole, I had 261 yards to the center, with maybe a 5-7 mph down breeze and a half club downhill.  I decided the carry over the bunker was maybe 230, so I hit 5-wood.  I blocked it right again, a solid, high block, and couldn't see whether I carried the bunker.  I didn't; the ball was in the native next to a yucca, about 3-4 yards short of the carry distance.  A rare play opportunity.  I hacked with all my might, and it barely made it over the edge, onto the grass, and it proceeded to trickle slowly down to the green.

The green is steeply sloped from back to front.  Larry's picture illustrates a primary playing difference between the two courses.  Dismal River's greens are gentler, but with lots of "micro" contours.  Ballyneal's greens have big contours and big backstops, and often offer an alternate route of attack for the short game.  Short game play may be more straightforward at Dismal River, but I had trouble reading short putts all day, which I would attribute to subtle green contours.  Putts at Ballyneal are among the easiest to read in my golf universe.

Looking at Don's diagram, all of the teeing areas would have charm for me.  Into the wind I can imagine trying a hit low driver at the opening.  Long iron from 219 or even 235 yards would work under the right circumstances.  Fast and firm turf adds immensely to holes like these.  Even driver from 160-170 yards works well for my wife's length and ball trajectory.

I was trying to decide yesterday whether this should be considered a Punchbowl hole, comparing it to others I knew.  This morning I realized the green is like the 16th hole at National Golf Links, a big gentle smooth bowl.

After the complex 4th hole comes this big, simple par 3.  It should play a bit easier than the length, as long as you can either get it airborne, or have a reliable fade with the long club.  What a great golf hole.

Dismal River, 10-9.  I'm back to even.    

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2013, 02:07:12 PM »
I hadn't remembered the big beautiful bunkers out to the right on Ballyneal's 5th.  Very nice.  Based on pictures alone I could see Ballyneal winning this bout 18 - 0.  Maybe a photographer could explain why the course is so photogenic.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #139 on: October 01, 2013, 02:32:20 PM »
Very fun and informative reading here, gentlemen, but I'm inclined to observe that Sugar Ray Leonard and Tommy "Hit Man" Hearns might still be fighting if "judging" took this long!  Carry on and I'll keep tuning in...
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

George Pazin

« Reply #140 on: October 01, 2013, 03:25:51 PM »
I hadn't remembered the big beautiful bunkers out to the right on Ballyneal's 5th.  Very nice.  Based on pictures alone I could see Ballyneal winning this bout 18 - 0.  Maybe a photographer could explain why the course is so photogenic.

I think you're selling your course short. Or maybe since it's been around longer, there are more great photos of Ballyneal. Both look compelling to those who haven't had the good fortune to enjoy them yet.

Apologies if this has been covered and I missed it, but are these courses at similar elevations, or does one have more of the altitude effect on the golf shots?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kirk

« Reply #141 on: October 01, 2013, 03:33:52 PM »
Hi George.  Don Mahaffey's diagram shows the elevation for hole #5 at 3400-3450 feet, which I believe is near the top of the course.  The elevation in Holyoke, Colorado is 3750 feet, so the elevation range at Ballyneal is about 3700-3800 feet, plus or minus 50 feet.

Michael George

« Reply #142 on: October 01, 2013, 04:57:25 PM »
John Kavanaugh could not have summed up my thoughts on Dismal River Red #5 any better.  I love great long par 3s and this one ranks up there so long as the fesuce is playable (there is a lot more room around the green then looks from the tee, but still, with a driver or 3 wood, don't want the hole becoming a golf ball search hole).    

I like #5 at Ballyneal.  Is it an Eden hole?  Feels like it off the tee, but don't know if the green acts like one.  Love how different portions of the green accept shots differently - as shots gathered toward the middle of the green from the right side and shots seemed to run threw the green in the middle/left sides.

However, in the end, the uniqueness of the long par 3 that still is pure fun - Dismal River Red #5 - wins 10-9.  I have Dismal River Red up by 1 point after 5 holes.  

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #143 on: October 01, 2013, 05:09:05 PM »
I had been preaching the virtues of BN #5 on another thread as perhaps TD's best par 3 that I had seen and was quickly dismissed as uninformed as many there felt it was at the bottom of the four par 3s.  The hole is brilliant because of the different tee boxes at different angles posing different challenges.  Oh yeah, the fact that one of those tee boxes is an extension of the #4 fringe is also very cool. I stand by opinion of what a great hole it is.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #144 on: October 01, 2013, 08:11:14 PM »
I had been preaching the virtues of BN #5 on another thread as perhaps TD's best par 3 that I had seen and was quickly dismissed as uninformed as many there felt it was at the bottom of the four par 3s.  The hole is brilliant because of the different tee boxes at different angles posing different challenges.  Oh yeah, the fact that one of those tee boxes is an extension of the #4 fringe is also very cool. I stand by opinion of what a great hole it is.

I have only been to Ballyneal once, for a weekend a couple of years ago (thank you Jim C, great time, great company!).   The pin on #5 didn't move, always front right behind the bunker.   That is one mofo of a par 3!

Cliff Walston

« Reply #145 on: October 01, 2013, 10:09:25 PM »
Trying to stay ahead of the thread:  Dismal Red 6.  Short par 4 that plays 326/290.  I find that there isn't really enough room for me to land a drive between the bunkers short and get it to hold this green.  Best case scenario is I am long with an easy chip back.  Often I am in the front bunker or worse.  If the pin is where it is pictured (font right behind the bunker) I think the best play is to lay up well short of the green for a full wedge.  Half wedges into this firm green to a pin tucked behind the bunker are a recipe for disaster, at least for me.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:31:20 PM by Cliff Walston »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #146 on: October 01, 2013, 10:32:54 PM »
Considering I arrive Thursday do you think you could put a hold on that weather. That is a beautiful picture of the 6th. Nice job.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2013, 08:32:45 AM »
Similar to Cliff's pic. DR Red 6.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2013, 09:53:25 AM »
Round 6. Funeral

Red 10 - 9

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2013, 10:38:01 AM »
At a Funeral that is. Commentary later.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back