News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Harshbarger

Top 100 Not Top 100
« on: September 24, 2013, 10:07:33 PM »
Anybody who has pored over the Top 100 lists has thought "wouldn't it be great to play every top 100 course.". Most just dream about, as the prospect of either traveling that much or how to get access is so daunting it's a fleeting dream.  Seeing that someone like our own Bill Schulz can actually do it somehow makes it both more tangible and more remote.

Now a top 100 list is of course a top 100 list relative to some criteria, but not the only criteria, and certainly not the courses you find most intriguing.  (If your most intriguing list coincides with a major Top 100 list, you are fairly wanting in imagination.) If you are like me, your Top 100 most intriguing list is thoroughly salted with non-top 100 courses, that only a small portion of those most intriguing courses is a Top 100 course.

For example, my list includes:

Minchinhampton Old
Cleeve Cloud
Pennard
Askernish
Swinley Forest
Neguri
That Nepalese Course Tom goes on about
Dannebrog
That course featured in a worst routings ever thread that wound incoherently through a water/condo park
Any oil-sand course in Oz
Paraparaumu
Jon Wiggett's course
Swinkleshe
That Swedish course on a point (Falsterbo)
Any Randy Thompson course
Any Jeff Brauer course
Ballyhack
The Slovak or Slovenia course recently built as shown on here (Penati?)
Any random collection of 9-hole links courses dotting the British Isles
Laiza in Myanmar
The Mission Hills contest course
Golf de Belle-Isle
Lord Howe island
Those Maine Island courses
Marion
Tobacco Road
Sagebrush
Dismal
Sandhills
Ballyneal
Desert Forest
Stone Forest (but maybe not really)
Any club in Japan
Any club in Korea
Kabul
Durban
Angle Inlet
Bigwin Island
Milford Manor
Musselburgh
Prestwick
North Berwick
Brigantine
Indian Creek
Banff
Highland links
Cabot
Bandon
Kidnappers
Osprey Point
Eagle Ridge but maybe not really
Victoria but only w/JaKa.
Yeamans Hall
Lost Dunes
Wolf Point
Prairie Dunes
Sutton Bay
LACC
Maidstone
Tijuana
Links of ND
Zavidovo
Huntingdon Valley
Mid-Ocean
Eastward and Westward Hos!
Island Ball Watchers
Sunset Hill
Ok, not 100 and not all not top 100, but what courses are on your list of most intriguing?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:30:51 PM by David Harshbarger »
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Tom_Doak

Re: Top 100 Not Top 100
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 10:29:21 PM »
David:

GREAT topic.  I spent my week in training before the Hundred Hole Hike checking out various courses I hadn't seen in the north of Scotland.  I HAD to go to Castle Stuart and Trump International to see how they measured up, but I had more fun walking around places like Cullen and Muir of Ord and this odd little nine holes called Rosehearty, just north of Fraserburgh.  Every course I saw, no matter how small, had much to recommend it, and none of them were as predictable as Trump's.

I have no idea about some of the courses you list, or even where they are.  [Luckily, I can figure it out later with help from Google.]  But these are the courses I'm trying to seek out before I finish the next Confidential Guide.

FWIW, here are the courses currently at the top of my list of those I most want to see:

Banff and Jasper - still at the top after so many years.  I'm going next summer or fall.
Sewanee, and that other wild 9-holer someone posted about this spring
Four Mile Ranch, if it didn't get wiped out by all the flooding in Colorado
the Tom Weiskopf course in Jackson Hole, which I've heard is being resuscitated
Bayou de Siard, because John Bernhardt told me to
Karsten Creek, because I want to see what they did with the land I'd studied
Teugega, Monroe, Glens Falls, and the CC of Buffalo, all in upstate NY
Mayfield, even though I expect to be disappointed, it just looks different
Red Ledges, for my Matt Ward reality check
Rochelle Ranch, because Ken Kavanaugh was excited about it
Sagebrush
Beau Desert
Arrowtown, Jack's Point and Kinloch in New Zealand
Sand Valley in Poland
the course David Kidd just finished in Korea
more by Perry Maxwell
more by Donald Ross - Longmeadow, for one

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 10:48:14 PM »
Tom,

Very interesting entry on your follow up list:

"the course David Kidd just finished in Korea"

Why that course.  I have my guess why, but interested in yours?

David Harshbarger

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 10:49:44 PM »
I'd like to see Sewanee too, the Hanse work I'm sure will rejuvenate it.

Most of the ones you haven't heard of are ones someone here heard of and wrote about.  Milford Manor, for instance, is a little vacation course in Ontario.  I think it would be a joy to play there.  Angle Inlet sits on a disconnected patch of the USA that should be part of Canada, but isn't. You should really get there w/o going in Canada.  Sunset Hill is where V. Kmetz was terrified by Kujo off the 2nd green.  They really aren't Top 100, more less top 1000, or maybe 10,000. so what?  Now they are :-)

The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 11:03:51 PM »
I'm not sure I understand the topic but......
nearly every course I want to see or return to isn't on most lists-in part because of who I WON'T run into at the unranked gems.

I really enjoy a course where it is a big part of the town and culture. where the guy pulling your pint can tell you about his Stableford score in Sunday's Open. Where you can have a wager on match with a stranger without the opponent thinking you're out to steal his lunch money.
What I love most is that there are so many out there waiting to be discovered.
I'd really like to do a trip with NO advance plans-in the northeast of Scotland where Tom referenced, if a course was unavailable, another charmer awaits just down the road.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 11:22:37 PM »
Interpreted as top 100 I want to see.... Agree with Jeff that some are unheralded courses waiting to be found. In any case, here goes quickly with a mix of renowned and less renowned:

NZ: Ohope, Whakatane, Ahipara, Port Chalmers, Omakau

Australia: King Island (once finished), Ellerston, Kalgoolie (sp?), the short Ogilvy Clayton course in Victoria, and the course at Ayers Rock

China:  Dunes at Shenzhou Peninsula, Tiger Beach, Mission Hills contest course, Doak course in the middle of Hainan (once finished) and any course that has trees planted in the middle of the fairways;

Japan: Hirono, and others ?

India:  Royal Calcutta, any army course

England:  Woking, Swinley, Silloth, Berwick, Cavendish, Notts, Reddish Vale, Little Aston, St Enodoc

Scotland:  Shiskine, Fraserbourgh, Murcar, all the wee links courses in the far north & along the moray firth

Wales: Nefyn, Royal Porthcrawl

USA: Bandon complex, The Country Club, Fishers, Yeamans Hall, Yale, Wolf Point, Streamsong complex and thousands others

Others: Jockey club, Hamburg, Hilverschum (sp?), Danang (Vietnam), any course in Israel, Cork (Ireland), Cabot, Nepalese course,

@Pure_Golf

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 12:09:48 AM »
Within a few hours of me, I'm particularly interested in seeing three courses that are known as kind of afterthoughts relative to the environments around them: Brays Island, Cherokee Plantation, Ford Plantation. A lot of praise is heaped (rightfully) on "golf-only" clubs' courses, but these are decidedly opposite. Curious about the contrast.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 03:20:56 AM »
Just about 50 courses that I could think of which I have a decent chance of seeing in the next handful of years - I didn't think there was any point in naming courses where I am not likely to drop by.  

SCOTLAND
Askernish
Dunaverty
Elie
Moray Old
Fraserburgh
Ren Club

ENGLAND
West Sussex
Formby Ladies
Welshpool
Get back to Hockley
Goswick
That Dr Mac up near Newcastle
Aldeburgh
Get back to WHO & WHN
Get back to Berkshire Red & Blue

IRELAND
Arklow
Carbalis
Get back to Baltray
Seapoint

EUROPE
Morfontaine
De Pan
Hague
That C&C course in Bordeaux
That Doak course in Bordeaux

CAROLINAS & GEORGIA
Palmetto
Camden
Aiken
Carolina GC
Cape Fear
Wilmington Muni
Get back to Yeamans
Charleston CC

DETROITISH
Get back to Detroit GC South Course
Get back to Indianwood
Get back to CC of Detroit
Get back to Barton Hills
Get back to Birmingham CC

NORTHERN MI TOUR

CHICAGO TOUR PLUS Angels Crossing, Lost Dunes & Dunes Club

Apache Stronghold & Bull Bay

I will leave it to someone else to figure out the top 100 stuff - its too complicated with all the mags and lists.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 05:03:24 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 04:12:10 AM »
This a cool thread.

50 new courses I would love to see off beaten tracks and typical lists

Aus: Duntryleague, Horsham, Narooma, Port Fairy, Longyard, Ayers Rock, Kalgoorlie, Ocean Shores, Leongatha, Warnambool, Albany, Sun City, Cape Schanck.

New Zealand: Arrowtown, Chisholm Park, Oreti Sands.

GB&I: West Cornwall, Perranporth, Broadstone, Ferndowne, Kington, Walmer & Kingsdown, North Foreland, Littlestone, Rye (Jubilee), Camberley Heath, Tain, Fortrose & Rosemarkie, Boat of Garten, Duff House Royal, Crail (Craighead), Anstruther, Dunbar, Gullane #3, Pennard, Aberdovey, Askernish.

USA: Palmetto, Aiken, Bethpage (Red), Leatherstocking, Lookout Mountain, Wild Horse, Bayside, Commonground, Rustic Canyon, Wolf Point, Holston Hills, Caledonia.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 04:28:54 AM »
Brancaster. El Saler (in fact I would like to do an Arana tour of Spain, particularly including Rio Real where my Dad played his last round before his death). Hirono. Fano. Eastward Ho. Paraparaumu. Jockey Club (S America is the only continent on which I haven't played, well apart from Antarctica obviously...)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 04:32:21 AM »
There are too many big gaps worldwide that I would like to fill… so I’ll just list the GB&I courses that most intrigue me that I have yet to see (or yet to plan)…

Scotland: Askernish, Machrie, Prestwick
Ireland: Narin & Portnoo, Otway
Wales: Pennard
England: Deal, Ganton, Hoylake, Rye, Delamere Forest, Painswick, Brancaster

Sprinkled in examples of modern design from the last 10 years only.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 04:48:35 AM »
David that’s a great post and I much prefer the idea of ticking off many of the courses on your list as I travel to interesting parts of the world, than I do of winning the lottery and hiring a Jetstream to tick off the Top 100.  Sounds like a full time job planning access!

Indeed when the time comes that I have the opportunity to travel more, I anticipate that for a few years my annual total of rounds played may actually decrease. I have more desire to attend a Saturday (“Sponsored by Texaco”) matinee at the Metropolitan Opera House and see the Christmas lights in New York than I have to play the Golf Courses on Long Island. Of course eventually I would hope to do both.

One trip I do think about is a trip up the Islands off the west coast of Scotland in May. If I do it alone it will be in a VW Camper van.  If the wife comes too then it’s a Convertible Merc and B&B’s.  The beauty of GCA is, I now know there’s lots of interesting 18/12/9 hole courses that can be played without booking them months in advance. I can’t remember the names of half of them but I’d love to meander through them finding some great golf along the way.

Currently planning a trip next January to visit Angkor Watt/Beach Resort/Bangkok.  Are there any local courses that offer something special enough that I should give up a day’s sightseeing/sailing/diving to play?  They are the reason for the trip with my non playing wife, so it would have to be good to pass up on the alternatives. 
Let's make GCA grate again!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 06:15:14 AM »
What an interesting thread and some fascinating responses.

I've previously thought to myself where, given family, £$ and travel limitations, would I be frustrated if I hadn't played before age/golfing retirement occurs. I came up with Prestwick, North Berwick and Royal West Norfolk/Brancaster plus Painswick, Musselburgh Old Links and Askernich, the latter three, maybe even all of them, to be played with hickory.

All the best.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 12:13:41 PM »
David:

GREAT topic.  I spent my week in training before the Hundred Hole Hike checking out various courses I hadn't seen in the north of Scotland.  I HAD to go to Castle Stuart and Trump International to see how they measured up, but I had more fun walking around places like Cullen ...

You had me at Cullen.  A report please.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 12:19:50 PM »
David:

GREAT topic.  I spent my week in training before the Hundred Hole Hike checking out various courses I hadn't seen in the north of Scotland.  I HAD to go to Castle Stuart and Trump International to see how they measured up, but I had more fun walking around places like Cullen ...

You had me at Cullen.  A report please.

Bogey

Tom,

You've seen Cullen. When are you going to see Perranporth?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 12:38:21 PM »
Tom,
Have you seen/played Country Club of Rochseter?

If so I would appeciate any comments, also if you have Monroe is rather similar and to me that is a compliment.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 01:24:21 PM »
Tom,
Have you seen/played Country Club of Rochseter?

If so I would appeciate any comments, also if you have Monroe is rather similar and to me that is a compliment.

Michael:

I saw CC of Rochester back when I was a student at Cornell, but it was the same day as playing Oak Hill East and walking Oak Hill West, so I don't remember it very well.  And, I would assume that it's a bit different now than when I was 19!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 01:27:43 PM »

Tom,

You've seen Cullen. When are you going to see Perranporth?

Garland:

I have been trying for two months to carve out 7-8 days in October to get back to England and see as many courses as I can see prior to putting the first volume of The Confidential Guide to bed.  This may be complicated by a new client, but I'm still working with that goal in mind.  If I do get to go, Perranporth will be one of several must-sees, along with others recommended by Sean Arble and Paul Turner.

Michael George

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 01:34:49 PM »
Tom - along the lines of seeing more of Donald Ross, I would recommend seeing Brookside in Canton if you have not seen it since the Silva restoration.  It is really a different place without the mass of trees.  Also, while I don't think they were touched in the restoration, I think the greens are simply amazing.  While Ross is known for his upside bowled, highly contoured greens, Brookside's greens are really diverse and enjoyable.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Jud_T

Re: Top 100 Not Top 100 New
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 03:34:32 PM »

Askernish
Paraparaumu
Westward Ho!
Painswick
West Bend
Warren Course
The Punchbowl
The Himalayas
Brora
Cruden Bay
Barton Hills
Greywalls
Pennard
NGLA
King Island
Brancaster
Broadstone
Someren
Wolf Point
Royal Worlington
Whittinsville
Dismal Dos
U of M post reno
Medinah #1
North Berwick
Machrihanish
Ozaukee
Evanston
Rye
Blythefield
Prarie Dunes
Cavendish
Kington
Omaha CC
ACCC
Olympia Fields South
Battle Creek CC
Friar's Head
French Lick Ross
North Shore CC
Butterfield
Teguega
St. Enodoc
Desert Forest
Addington
Sand Hills
Highland Links
Austin GC
Wawashkamo
Pinehurst #2
Woking
Ashridge
Isle of Purbeck
Palmetto
Southerndown
Pasatiempo
Elie
Ekwanok
Streamsong
Strathpeffer Spa
Engineers
Black Forest
Quail Crossing
Leatherstockings
Mid Pines
Barnbougle
Old Sandwich
The Horse Course
Bandon Muni
Seminole
Bandon Preserve
Sheep Ranch
Eastward Ho
Westhampton
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:49:06 AM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 11:28:59 PM »
In no particular order. I have shot many of these but only list those I did not play. This is a list I realistically have a shot at playing. They are all USA/Canada courses:

Old Macdonald
The Bridge
Wanakah
Sankaty Head
Devil's Pulpit
Devil's Paintbrush
NGLA
Monroe
CC Rochester
Oak Hill East
Oak Hill West
St. Catharines
Chambers Bay
Charles River
Pepper Pike
Cabot Links
Cabot Cliffs
Highlands Links
CC Scranton
Yahnundasis
Southampton
Indiana (PA) CC
Teugega
Forsyth
George Wright

Wow...25 were tough to compile.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 12:46:54 PM »
FWIW, here are the courses currently at the top of my list of those I most want to see:
Beau Desert
Tom,
I was really surprised to read that you haven't seen Beau Desert, the genius of Herbert Fowler. When you get to to see it I'm sure you'll love it. And if you have the time when when you're in that area may I suggest that you drive 12 miles to the south and see the original MacKenzie green complexes at Walsall Golf Club.
All the best.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:04:32 PM by Thomas Dai »

Rob Collins

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 01:25:54 PM »
Tom,
A friend of mine just alerted me to your desire to come see "that wild 9-holer" in Tennessee down the road from Sewanee.  I'd be delighted to show it to you anytime.  Also, as I've said before, if anyone else in the forum cares to see it, I'll be happy to show you around...The course was originally called Sequatchie Valley Golf and CC, and has since been re-branded "Battle Creek Golf and Sporting Club".  And it is wild!

Rob

David:

GREAT topic.  I spent my week in training before the Hundred Hole Hike checking out various courses I hadn't seen in the north of Scotland.  I HAD to go to Castle Stuart and Trump International to see how they measured up, but I had more fun walking around places like Cullen and Muir of Ord and this odd little nine holes called Rosehearty, just north of Fraserburgh.  Every course I saw, no matter how small, had much to recommend it, and none of them were as predictable as Trump's.

I have no idea about some of the courses you list, or even where they are.  [Luckily, I can figure it out later with help from Google.]  But these are the courses I'm trying to seek out before I finish the next Confidential Guide.

Banff and Jasper - still at the top after so many years.  I'm going next summer or fall.
Sewanee, and that other wild 9-holer someone posted about this spring
Four Mile Ranch, if it didn't get wiped out by all the flooding in Colorado
the Tom Weiskopf course in Jackson Hole, which I've heard is being resuscitated
Bayou de Siard, because John Bernhardt told me to
Karsten Creek, because I want to see what they did with the land I'd studied
Teugega, Monroe, Glens Falls, and the CC of Buffalo, all in upstate NY
Mayfield, even though I expect to be disappointed, it just looks different
Red Ledges, for my Matt Ward reality check
Rochelle Ranch, because Ken Kavanaugh was excited about it
Sagebrush
Beau Desert
Arrowtown, Jack's Point and Kinloch in New Zealand
Sand Valley in Poland
the course David Kidd just finished in Korea
more by Perry Maxwell
more by Donald Ross - Longmeadow, for one
Rob Collins

www.kingcollinsgolf.com
@kingcollinsgolf on Twitter
@kingcollinsgolf on Instagram

David Harshbarger

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 09:12:09 AM »
Thank you everyone for sharing thoughts on your top 100 courses that aren't top 100 courses.  I really appreciate folks organizing their courses, ESP. As I spewed mine forth in stream of consciousness order.

I don't primarily bucket courses geographically. Instead, I thought of about 10 dimensions along which I take an interest in a course (in no particular order):

For the Love of the Game
Off the Beaten Path
Anti-Patterns
Soul Stirring
Windows on the Past
Ground Breaking
Whimsy
A Good Story
The Architects
Youse Guys

For the Love of the Game - If there's any category that captures the essence of Not Top 100 courses it's courses that exist For the Love of the Game.  Milford Manor, the Sand Green courses, Bigwin Island, that course in Nepal, Laiza in Myanmar, and of course many, many more.  Any course with an honor box is one of these.  Since there are so many, its largely arbitrary that any one would show up on my list, likely that the course fills a spot in another category.

Locally, we have a course, Ondawa Greens, that fits this category.  Carved out of a cow pasture, one hole has a fieldstone lipped bunker.  A "beginner's course", the rough would choke a bush hog by memorial day. The greens are patchy and lumpy and slow.  But people still come play.  

There is a sub-category of these, the primitives, that exist outside the architectural continuum.  I give these a Doak -i as to think of these courses within the same architectural framework as an architected course is to miss the point.

Off the Beaten Path - If you thought you could get me to visit your out of the way location by siting a golf course there, you were right.  Kudos to those who built Lord Howe Island (south pacific East of Oz), Golf de Belle-Isle (Atlantic coast of France), Banff, Highland Links, Sutton Bay, and many others.

A subset of these (and not really off their beaten path) are the cultures who I understand have appropriated golf and assimilated it in distinct ways.  I have to experience Japan, and their culture must have created a different experience of golf.  Is the same true in Korea? The small towns of Scotland?

There's more world than ever I will see, so why not prioritize some spots ahead of others based on their golf, and some cultures through their golf?

Anti-Patterns - There are some real dogs out there.  No, they don't all come to mind, but there have been some threads on courses that are so bad they have to be seen: goofy routings, brutal use of water, totally disjointed feel.  There's one in NoCal, ok there's one about everywhere.  Some are named Trump....

While I'd prefer not to make a steady diet of these, I definitely feel you have to make time for courses so bad they engender a strong visceral negative response.  That's not easy to do, you know.  With time, I would hope one could learn from these the architectural anti-patterns that should be avoided.

Soul Stirring - Yes, we are a bunch of softies here who can wax poetic over grass strains and mowing lines. Look in a mirror and deal with it.  There are courses spoken of here in such glowing terms that you know, who wouldn't want a piece of that?  The Bandon courses, Askernish, Sand Hills, Ballyneal, Dismal, Cypress Point, and of course many others catch my interest for just this reason, the promise that they can lift one's soul.

Of course, that's a pretty darn high bar and I'm aware these courses could dash my high expectations easily and irretrievably.  But if you love this game you have to find a way to capture that feeling.

This category brings in the Top 100 courses, but obviously not all Top 100 courses, as the ball-busters some love are more likely soul crushers than soul stirrers.

Windows on the Past - The architectural currents of golf change with time, and many factors erode the architectural intent a course once had.  This is a recurring theme here, which makes courses that remain as intact expressions of earlier times.  Musselburgh, for instance, deserves my attention as a Window into the past.  The Marion course highlighted here recently, with a stunning collection of steeplechase hazards, is another.

These courses are often similar to the courses categorized as For the Love of the Game.  To have survived as a time capsule, they had to be tended to enough, but not too much.  Unlike love of the game courses, though, these must have some connection to the architectural currents to generate interest.

Ground-Breaking - Desert Forest is the first desert course, so they say.  I want to see that.  Sand Hills defined the movement towards minimalism.  I want to see that, too.  NGLA started the design model here.  Not sure what early Trent Jones Sr. Or Dick Wilson courses define the post war era, but I want to see them.

Just as with courses that provide a window to the past, as a student of golf architecture I think it is important to understand and see the courses that successfully broke new ground in how we build, site, or structure courses.

Whimsy - I entered the Mission Hills contest.  Much reviled as it is, my hope is that course is as whimsical as it should be.  I want to play that.  Emmet's St. George's; if you like courses that roll the ball every which way, there's whimsy that will keep a grin on your face.  If you think golf isn't so rarefied that the air and turf can be shared with the sheep, cows, and horses, whimsy is for you.

While the Mission Hills course is obviously manufactured, the best courses that deliver whimsy do so by incorporating  difficult features with a deft touch.  Walls,buildings, big rolls and drops, trains, power lines, grazing animals, forts, craters, et al, contribute the whimsical touches that make a course make my list.

A Good Story - V. Kmetz tells a story about growing playing Sunset Hill in Brookfield, CT that's enough to make me want to play the course.  If memory serves, there was a good story about Sewanee, and another about Tijuana.  Those are enough to move me to see these courses, as that will fill in the context in my life.

This category may be the most subjective, as there are only so many shared stories.  If you love the pro game, of course there are stories, immortalized in plaques and markers at the championship courses worldwide.  To me, this a bonus, but not enough to move my feet.  For others, I completely respect anyone's interest in seeing the site of a resonant tale.

The Architects - I owe my golf course architecture life to Devereux Emmet. I make a point to see his work.  There are many other ODG whose work I want to see, if for no reason to fill in my knowledge of the record.  There's a Top 100 (or 200) courses all of us should see just to fill in the architectural record.  For me, that includes Huntingdon Valley, the Hos!, a bunch of Colts, the Dr. Macs, the Wilson's, Jones, Dyes, Fazio's,  etc.

A special subset of the architect's are all of the architects on GCA who share their love of their work with us.  I will always find it an honor to see the work of the people here.

Youse Guys - Last but not least I owe so much to the contributions of all of you, and so having a chance to meet and play on the courses you all value plays heavily in my thinking.  I'm not well traveled, offer no access, and carry a high handicap, so most of my knowledge iis gained vicariously through this site.  Playing your courses and sharing what you love is the best.

I'd love to hear what motivates you to prioritize your lists.

Best, Dave
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:19:51 AM by David Harshbarger »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 10:44:13 AM »
David,

For the Love of the Game
Off the Beaten Path
Anti-Patterns
Soul Stirring
Windows on the Past
Ground Breaking
Whimsy
A Good Story
The Architects

These are great categories. I particularly like the 'Windows on the Past' and 'Whimsy' ones.

A very nice way of summarising courses.

All the best.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back