News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

Re: Holland and Scotland - how does this stack up?
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 10:26:21 PM »
Ullrich

I am curious why you deem Elie to be not really a links course?

I played it in 2005 which for my feeble memory approaches geologic time but i remember sweeping vistas with seaside views.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2013, 03:56:19 AM »
The middle stretch indeed has glorious sea views, but most holes are inland. There are no dunes within the course, no gorse (when I played it) and the inland parts do not feel like linksland. Make no mistake, it's great turf and the greens are fantastic, it just didn't have that classic links feel to me.

But I don't argue with people, who consider it a true links course. It's just a very unusual course with a different feeling.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 11:52:55 AM »
Ulrich,

That's nonsense.  It doesn't have big dunes but Elie is a true links and recognised as such by just about everyone.  I could see an argument that part of Balcomie isn't a links but not Elie.  The argument regarding proximity to the shore is rubbish.  On the basis neither Lytham nor Muirfield is a links.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »
And Trevino bought the Ping putter he won the USPGA with a few weeks later in the pro-shop.

I recall reading somewhere many years ago that after buying it Lee Trevino proceeded to hit his new Ping putter really hard into a concrete floor several times to flatten the lie angle to his satisfaction. Maybe this story is just a piece of folklore though. Stories do have a habit of getting elaborated as time passes by.

All the best.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back