News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re: 2014 5th Major at Dismal River
« Reply #200 on: June 19, 2014, 08:16:46 PM »
Tim, it may be the second best Italian joint in NE, next to Lo Sole Mio in Omaha.  And, it is owned and operated by
 Chef Shaahdi  a classically trained Egyptian Chef who has cooked all across Europe. Met a gal from Cozad and settled down. 

Sod busters gotta eat more than just beef all the time.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Steve Lang

« Reply #201 on: June 19, 2014, 10:07:20 PM »
 8) The fried chicken at the North Platte airport was very good deal!  
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 06:54:46 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Adam Clayman

« Reply #202 on: June 20, 2014, 01:03:04 PM »
Seve, Sadly the owner died and it was too much for his widow to keep going. There's new owners, and, I don't know if they've kept the same menu (or that pressure cooker that made that famous chicken)

Dick, Ole's is a must see, but, the locals eat across the street at The Windy Gap. So eat at the gap and go into Ole's to see all the trophies.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jack Parrish

« Reply #203 on: June 20, 2014, 01:14:42 PM »
Im just going to ask one more time if anyone is looking to pair up Thursday in North Platte around 1PM?

Is the ultra economy sized Ford Fiesta a mistake for the ride from NP to Dismal? Or do I need to suck it up and get the SUV?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #204 on: June 20, 2014, 01:20:49 PM »
Jack, the fiesta is fine as long as you don't take the sand road.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Matt Glore

« Reply #205 on: June 20, 2014, 06:08:31 PM »
The drive to Dismal River is so unique. A few views of Soddy Road. Of course, As Cliff mentioned, CJ once said "if you make a wrong turn, you wind up in Montana."

Is this the turn to get on Soddy aon 92? I couldn't find it last year and went to 97, which seemed a long way out of the way. 
One of the best drives in golf

I also got pulled over on HWY 6 but not in the little towns.  I passed a car and 2 miles ahead the police saw me!  Gave me a warning. :)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #206 on: June 20, 2014, 09:42:43 PM »
Adam, didn't we eat across the street from Ole's one night, and went to Ole's for a drink.  Somehow, I don't remember that it was named ''The Gap" a few years ago. 

Heck, if any of you really want to go all Nebraski, and you are coming from Lincoln Omaha way, try to make it to Dannebrog Cafe for breakfast.  Hot out of the oven biscuits, cakes and pastries, big farm breakfasts, and sometimes a local guy does some pickin'n' singin'.

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #207 on: June 21, 2014, 12:04:05 AM »
Adam, didn't we eat across the street from Ole's one night, and went to Ole's for a drink.  Somehow, I don't remember that it was named ''The Gap" a few years ago. 

Heck, if any of you really want to go all Nebraski, and you are coming from Lincoln Omaha way, try to make it to Dannebrog Cafe for breakfast.  Hot out of the oven biscuits, cakes and pastries, big farm breakfasts, and sometimes a local guy does some pickin'n' singin'.

This is not a joke. The Danish Baker is a fantastic place to eat. The Thursday night pizza is well worth the detour as is the breakfast. And I'd gladly play the sand greens of the Dannebrog country club for the five bucks in an honor box it costs.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #208 on: June 21, 2014, 08:30:02 AM »
The drive to Dismal River is so unique. A few views of Soddy Road. Of course, As Cliff mentioned, CJ once said "if you make a wrong turn, you wind up in Montana."

Is this the turn to get on Soddy aon 92? I couldn't find it last year and went to 97, which seemed a long way out of the way. 

I also got pulled over on HWY 6 but not in the little towns.  I passed a car and 2 miles ahead the police saw me!  Gave me a warning. :)

Matt,
        From Ogallala, you pass the lake and go to Arthur. Turn right on 92. My landmark for Soddy Road is this small lake/wetlands on the left. Just past it is Soddy Road. I think I have a pic of the signs at the turn. PM me your phone or email and I will send it.

Matt Glore

« Reply #209 on: June 21, 2014, 10:40:01 AM »

Matt,
        From Ogallala, you pass the lake and go to Arthur. Turn right on 92. My landmark for Soddy Road is this small lake/wetlands on the left. Just past it is Soddy Road. I think I have a pic of the signs at the turn. PM me your phone or email and I will send it.

We went last year, not for the 5th, and won't be going this year.  I thought I saw it on our way back.  I do remember the small wetland area.  Can a front wheel drive car handle that road?
I'm sure I'll get back there one day and would love to go that route!

John Cowden

« Reply #210 on: June 21, 2014, 10:56:04 AM »
A delightful drive.  On 92 heading east out of Arthur, drivers passing each other (assuming you see another car) give an acknowledging wave;  there really are other folks out here.  Once you turn onto Soddy, however, any vehicle you meet is rolling down their window and coming to a stop when they see you.  A great way to meet the locals.   "Nice sunburn.  Bet yer comin' from that golf course."

Chris Johnston

« Reply #211 on: June 21, 2014, 11:17:43 AM »
Easiest landmark for Soddy Road is a a small sign that Says "Tucker Ranch", among 5-6 other signs.  When you see it, turn left if coming from Arthur.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #212 on: June 21, 2014, 01:54:31 PM »
Chris - I'm looking forward to coming out there and cooling off... played here in SC yesterday in 96 degree heat with 80% humidity. It was... ah... cleansing.  ;)
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Steve Lang

« Reply #213 on: June 21, 2014, 11:08:15 PM »
 8) Mike W,  we feel your pain, but ya know Dismal its only at the 41st parallel or so and still warm ... you should join us up at the 45th Parallel in Mi and some sandy bottom spring fed lakes to really cool off...  See ya in NE

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:23:04 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Dan Herrmann

Keith Grande

« Reply #215 on: June 23, 2014, 10:32:20 AM »
So for the expert cartographers in the house....coming from the west, what is best way to get to DR?

80->North Platte->97>2

or

80->North Platte->97->92->Soddy Road

Thanks!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #216 on: June 23, 2014, 10:39:43 AM »
So for the expert cartographers in the house....coming from the west, what is best way to get to DR?

80->North Platte->97>2

or

80->North Platte->97->92->Soddy Road

Thanks!

When you're in North Platte hop on 97 and head north. If 2 is the road with the Dismal River Club sign take it. Follow it for the 30 minutes or whatever and you'll end up happy. Enjoy the drive up 97, the area between North Platte and Mullen is gorgeous.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #217 on: June 23, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »
You would go Soddy Road ONLY if you are coming from Ogallala. (Not North Platte)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #218 on: June 23, 2014, 01:45:20 PM »
I wouldn't want to discourage those seeking a real backroad, among the sand hill ranches experience for those of you considering the Soddy Road.  But, you should know that with a small rental car, you will be on a dusty unpaved road for quite a while if entering Soddy from hwy 92.   Those that want to get there faster and on paved road still with a fair amount of sand hill scenery, I'd recommend staying on the state highways.  If from Ogalalla, go up north from Oga on hwy 28 to the south side of lake, take hwy 61 to town of Authur, take 92 east to Tryon, take hwy 97 north to cross Dismal River bridge, pass Sand Hills GC sign another 5 miles or so, and enter county road 2108 west, which is mostly paved, to fork in road which is 3401 and part of the Soddy rd., take that to DR compound.

Alternate from Oga, stay on hwy 61 to Hyannis, take hwy 2 east to Mullen, take 97 south for a few miles to entrance county rd 2108.  Plenty of good views along this route and all paved.

Fastest,, and safest IMHO, from Oga, take I-80 to North Plate, go north out of North Plate on hwy 83 just a couple miles to intersect with hwy 97.  Take 97 across Dismal River bridge as explained above.  You still see some nice sand hill views, but you get there efficiently. 

If you are going to be a buckaroo, taking Soddy unpaved for such a long way, don't exceed a comfortable safe speed on that sandy slippery surface, often greatly washboarded.  You risk busting suspension, spinning out, and it is not uncommon to run over bits of barbed wire.  And changing tires in the middle of nowhere to one of those toy tires in the trunk is no fun.  Ask Lou Duran about our excellent adventure getting stuck in sand and having a blown tire in pitch dark.  ::) ;D  We needed assistance from locals on both counts...  And I was driving an OJ style Bronco in those days with 4wd, and still needed another truck w/chains to get tugged out of sand to wheelwells! 

Brian Finn

« Reply #219 on: June 23, 2014, 01:58:25 PM »
As long as we are talking logistics, could someone advise on the optimal route from Omaha?
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Eric Smith

« Reply #220 on: June 23, 2014, 02:03:21 PM »
I don't care how you get there just get there if you can! Putting competition starts at 7pm. It'll take a while to get everyone off the 1st tee so don't kill yourselves trying to make your tee time. ;D

Terry Lavin

« Reply #221 on: June 23, 2014, 02:16:40 PM »
As long as we are talking logistics, could someone advise on the optimal route from Omaha?

Go past Sand Hills a few miles and turn left at the Dismal River sign.  17 miles later, you'll find civilization.  Of the finest kind, I might add!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

RJ_Daley

« Reply #222 on: June 23, 2014, 06:06:46 PM »
Brian, I-80 west 4.5 hours to North Platte, US HWY 83 north 5-6 miles to intersect w/hwy 97, north about 60 mins cross Dismal River bridge,  6-7 more miles to county road 2108, one lane into the compound known as "area 201", look for Kavanaugh's space ship.

Keith Grande

« Reply #223 on: June 24, 2014, 11:02:15 AM »
Fellow Stargazers,

I have heard many great things about the night sky full of stars in Mullen, and this Friday will be a new moon, so no light from the moon to interfere with the view. 

The best starry sky I have viewed was during my honeymoon in Tahiti, from our bungalow the Southern Cross Constellation was beautiful.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #224 on: June 24, 2014, 11:12:26 AM »
Fellow Stargazers,

I have heard many great things about the night sky full of stars in Mullen, and this Friday will be a new moon, so no light from the moon to interfere with the view. 

The best starry sky I have viewed was during my honeymoon in Tahiti, from our bungalow the Southern Cross Constellation was beautiful.

great news! the best night sky i've ever seen was in West Texas, but that was years ago. this New Yorker can't wait to get another taste on Friday.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back