News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Siebert

Re: 2014 5th Major -- Room for 2 More!
« Reply #150 on: May 31, 2014, 03:53:14 AM »
I wish I was coming from that direction so I could ride/play with you, just because I think it is awesome you're coming from the other side of the world to the middle of nowhere in the middle of the US to play in this event!  That's what makes GCA so cool!!

I hope we'll have a chance to talk a bit some evening by the fire pit, I'd be very curious to hear your take on the comparison between Australia's Sand Belt courses and Sand Hills / Dismal River as a native Australian.  Playing those Sand Belt courses is on my bucket list.  Hopefully something I'll get around to in the next few years...
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Garland Bayley

Re: 2014 5th Major -- Room for 2 More!
« Reply #151 on: May 31, 2014, 11:37:04 AM »
I wish I was coming from that direction so I could ride/play with you, just because I think it is awesome you're coming from the other side of the world to the middle of nowhere in the middle of the US to play in this event!  That's what makes GCA so cool!!

I hope we'll have a chance to talk a bit some evening by the fire pit, I'd be very curious to hear your take on the comparison between Australia's Sand Belt courses and Sand Hills / Dismal River as a native Australian.  Playing those Sand Belt courses is on my bucket list.  Hopefully something I'll get around to in the next few years...

Make sure you get his take on Bandon too.

And perhaps on his "uncle" Anthony. ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pete_Pittock

Re: 2014 5th Major at Dismal River
« Reply #152 on: June 01, 2014, 09:17:03 AM »
Update Eric with the 5th major final handicaps due in , the June 1st revision. Looks like I bottomed out too early.

Eric Smith

« Reply #153 on: June 01, 2014, 09:54:06 AM »
Update Eric with the 5th major final handicaps due in , the June 1st revision. Looks like I bottomed out too early.

They've been coming in steadily this morning. None seem to have dropped with the current revision.  ;D

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #154 on: June 01, 2014, 04:55:52 PM »
The Day I fly into Denver for the 5th major- is it better to play Commonground in CO or Bayside in NE.
which course is more worth seeing if only can play one?

Eric Smith

« Reply #155 on: June 04, 2014, 07:02:02 PM »
The Day I fly into Denver for the 5th major- is it better to play Commonground in CO or Bayside in NE.

Rob,

I wish I knew which one to steer you to but sadly I have yet to play either of them. I would suggest that by heading straight for Bayside you're likely to find the conditions and environment similar to what you'll be experiencing the rest of the weekend in the sandhills. I do think you'll be pleased with either choice as both are highly thought of by many here on GCA.

Everyone - thank you for sending along your handicap information. I'm happy to announce that the flights are set and you may view them here. See you in 3 weeks.

Scott Warren

« Reply #156 on: June 04, 2014, 07:32:13 PM »
Whatever handicap Andy Gray is reporting, deduct 20%. He's killing it at the moment.

Or if gambling on this event is welcomed, leave his handicap as-is and I'll have $1000 on his team to win whatever they're competing in, against anyone.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #157 on: June 04, 2014, 07:36:24 PM »
Whatever handicap Andy Gray is reporting, deduct 20%. He's killing it at the moment.

Or if gambling on this event is welcomed, leave his handicap as-is and I'll have $1000 on his team to win whatever they're competing in, against anyone.

I'll put up my posting rights for three months up against yours that he doesn't win the event.

Blake Conant

« Reply #158 on: June 04, 2014, 07:49:01 PM »

Commonground

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #159 on: June 04, 2014, 07:58:35 PM »
If you play Commonground you will backtrack 20 miles each way. It is vital to keep moving in the right direction. There is enough driving to kill you and then you drive some more. I would play Bunker Hill in Brush, Co every trip over making a backtrack to Commonground.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #160 on: June 04, 2014, 08:13:50 PM »

I'll put up my posting rights for three months up against yours that he doesn't win the event.

I will front the money for the degenerate gamblers on this site to have a separate "App".

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #161 on: June 04, 2014, 09:09:13 PM »

Play Bayside it is a good warm-up.  They had a great one day stay and play on groupon last year.  Think of it this way, "what are the chances I find myself in Denver in the future vs what are the chances I find myself in Ogallala Nebraska".
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #162 on: June 04, 2014, 09:47:56 PM »
Eric,

Those hats look fantastic! I hope there is one with my name on it  :D

RJ_Daley

« Reply #163 on: June 04, 2014, 10:14:04 PM »

Good grief Scott.  The operative words here are "his team".  You will probably find cause to greatly regret that you missed our date at New South Wales with Pup and Andy, to actually witness my game.  Andy may be on a hot streak, but I am on very shaky ground.  He could always break my legs or something and offer to go it alone against another duly constituted 5th Major team.  But, I do have the fleeting slim hope that I might play up to the better competition.  Hope springs eternal....  ;D ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Eric Smith

« Reply #164 on: June 05, 2014, 08:29:05 AM »

I'm really looking forward to meeting Andy a couple of days prior to the tournament. If he's coming in hot as you say he is let's see if he dials it down a notch while playing with the handicap chair. ;) One thing is for certain - the long distance award is safely within Andy's reach. Not that it did Brian Sheehy any good in 2012 or David Davis in 2013. ;D

Brandon Urban

« Reply #165 on: June 05, 2014, 09:16:17 AM »

I'm really looking forward to meeting Andy a couple of days prior to the tournament. If he's coming in hot as you say he is let's see if he dials it down a notch while playing with the handicap chair. ;) One thing is for certain - the long distance award is safely within Andy's reach. Not that it did Brian Sheehy any good in 2012 or David Davis in 2013. ;D

I had the opportunity to squeeze in a round with Andy when we both happened to be in Phoenix over Christmas last year. I will say, regardless of how he is playing, you will have a damn good time.
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

BCowan

« Reply #166 on: June 05, 2014, 09:19:19 AM »
Eric,

Hopefully in the future, the 5th Major will have online viewing via the drone!! :).  Your website is top notch by the way. 

Eric Smith

« Reply #167 on: June 05, 2014, 10:05:37 AM »
Eric,

Stephen,

There is, so long as your head is small to medium sized. I'm disappointed with them in that they are much too small for my noggin.:-[ The supplier insisted these were one size fits all but clearly they are not. Glad I ordered only a dozen but bummed I won't have a better option in time for the tournament. Good news is it fit Bruce Wellmon just fine. He went out the other day and won a state event in South Carolina donning his 5th Major lid. :)

Stephen Davis

« Reply #168 on: June 05, 2014, 10:20:33 AM »
Eric,

Stephen,

There is, so long as your head is small to medium sized. I'm disappointed with them in that they are much too small for my noggin.:-[ The supplier insisted these were one size fits all but clearly they are not. Glad I ordered only a dozen but bummed I won't have a better option in time for the tournament. Good news is it fit Bruce Wellmon just fine. He went out the other day and won a state event in South Carolina donning his 5th Major lid. :)

This might just be the first time that I have been glad that I was born with a unusually small dome ;)

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #169 on: June 05, 2014, 03:04:23 PM »
Eric,

Stephen,

It's true. The hat brought me good luck. Carolinas Golf Association Senior 4 Ball event.  I need more 5TH Major apparel............

Andy Gray

« Reply #170 on: June 06, 2014, 08:57:58 PM »

Don't be too quick to pick me Scott. I haven't played in 3 weeks and haven't played more than one round in a week, let alone 6 in 3 days! Fatigue will be an issue!

Brandon got to see how badly I played in AZ, even though I beat him. And Dick didn't exactly see me at my best either. You're just stuck with the memory of me handing your arse to you at Barny!

Tim Book

« Reply #171 on: June 07, 2014, 12:59:13 AM »
Eric,

After checking out the pairings tonight you have made my year to see my partner Brad, listed as Adam Lambert!  I think both care way to much about their hair, but I'm thinking Brad has a better chance of knowing which end of the club to use.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #172 on: June 12, 2014, 03:35:32 PM »
Two weeks until the eve of this major.

Armed with new fairway woods, irons on order.

Keith Grande

« Reply #173 on: June 12, 2014, 03:54:24 PM »
New equipment, just before a major tournament???  ???

We all know how Rory did with an equipment change.... :o

I guess as long as they're not NIKE ;D

Cliff Walston

« Reply #174 on: June 16, 2014, 12:45:43 PM »
Each time I take a first time visitor to Dismal, I always send them an email with a few suggestions that I think are helpful.  I thought I would share them here for those making their first visit to Dismal for the 5th Major.  Feel free to completely ignore them as you see fit.

Travel:  Chose your route wisely.  Google maps tends to default to the route heading north from Ogallala on Hwy 61/92.  Beware.  That route traverses several unmarked dirt roads with loose cattle and a "paved" one lane/two way road for a significant stretch of the trip.  I discourage anyone from taking that route their first trip because it can be confusing at times.  Part of the problem is also the lack of data/cell coverage.  If you get turned around, your cell phone isn't going to be of much use.  I suggest taking the route north from North Platte on Hwy 97.  It is a little longer, but it is paved the entire way with signs to the club and the risk of getting lost is much lower.  Regardless, FILL UP YOUR CAR IN NORTH PLATTE/OGALLALA.  Its a long way out to the club and back.  More than one person has run out of gas in a rental car heading out/coming back to Dismal.

Clothing:  To each their own, but I strongly prefer to wear light weight pants for several reasons.  First, it provides some sun protection.  Your cart is the only source of shade.  The sun can be brutal at times.  Second, the native has lots of little plants that like to stick and scratch.  Its a comment on the state of my game that I spend more time in the native than I would prefer, but I feel that pants provide me some protection there as well.  Third, playing golf in the sandhills is like being at the beach.  You get sand in places you can't explain.  Wearing pants lets me wear long socks without looking like a bigger dork than I am and keeps me from having to dump sand out of my shoes every 6 holes.

Speaking of sand, the gas powered carts are going to be your primary source of transportation out there, even if you walk the courses.  The carts kick up a rooster tail of sand on the dirt roads, not to mention all the other carts kicking up dust.  That brand new bag you bought for the season is going to come back with a nice layer of Nebraska terra firma everywhere.  I take an old golf bag that is now my designated Dismal bag.

Water, Sunscreen, and Bug Repellant.  Drink plenty of water, wear plenty of sunscreen, and have the bug repellant handy down by the river.

Thanks as always to Eric, CJ, and the Dismal team for putting this together.  I look forward to reconnecting with old friends and making new ones.  

A little something...

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 12:48:20 PM by Cliff Walston »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back