News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Finn

Re: 2014 5th Major at Dismal River
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 10:50:23 PM »
I am going to do everything I can to make it this year. I will have to skip my high school's annual outing, which is the same weekend each year.  Hopefully my brother will do the same, and be my partner. This just seems to be too much fun to keep missing out on.  Thank you for putting it together and inviting all of us.  

Brian,

I'm so bummed to be missing the Midwest Mashie this weekend. Was really looking forward to meeting you, as well as the other Brian (Mr. Hoover). Would be great to have all you guys out to Dismal next summer. Mr. Laurent as well!

It would be great to get everyone out to your event...I will round up the Columbus Brians and whoever else we can muster.

In the mean time, we will represent The Big East well this weekend up at Kingsley and bring home the Mashie.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Eric Smith

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 10:56:01 PM »

In the mean time, we will represent The Big East well this weekend up at Kingsley and bring home the Mashie.

To think I was going to room with The Captain. It's a good thing for you guys I had to bail. Your leader would've been a worthless pos on Saturday morning. Still may be.. ;D

Mark Steffey

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 09:03:07 PM »
only 219 days away!!!   :D

still can't decide where to fly into.  decisions decisions...

Alex Miller

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 10:23:02 PM »
So I guess I missed this thread last month. Hopefully one of the singles will have me as a partner!

Email coming, Eric. Sorry I missed last year but glad I'll get to meet you and see the Red one year older!

Jason Thurman

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 12:13:58 AM »
I've been waiting for this thread for months, and it turns out it was already started and I just missed it while at the Midwest Mashie.

I'm in! Partner TBD.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2013, 01:18:13 AM »
I will be unfortunately missing this year, which I'm super bummed about.

I would advise everyone to go as this was one of the best parts of last summer for me!
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

David Davis

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2013, 05:26:18 AM »
So tempted to come back and play without a vertebrae out of place in my neck. It's just kinda on the other side of the world.

I almost feel obliged after letting my partner Mr. Smith down last year. Probably not going to happen but man, it's tempting and such a great time.

Anyone that's not been you are cheating yourself out of an experience you deserve.

And big Chris, well, he's an OK host too  ;D kind of like the really cool laid back older brother you never had that appears to make up for lost time and starts things off with a big hug. What a guy!

By the way Mr. Smith...you my friend are a rockstar and a hell of an organizer, this event has been brought down to a fine science! Great work buddy!!!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 05:27:50 AM by David Davis »
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Eric Smith

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2013, 10:16:06 AM »
Thanks everyone for your interest in next year's tournament. I was working with my wife last week on some logo items I'm planning to send out to those who have already paid their deposits. I'm hoping you'll receive these in time for the holidays.

---

Mark,

Seems I owe you a beer when we meet. 5 others signed up last night thanks to your bumping the thread. :) With the latest additions, the list stands at 68?! I honestly don't know what to think. We'll expand the field from 64 to 72 players for the time being, knowing well this # will expand or contract as the season approaches. Also, any of you who are on the list http://tinyurl.com/5thmajor14 and need to be taken off of it, please let me know when you can.

---

David,

You know as well as I that even with your injury, you were the ringer on our team! Please shoot for 2015.

Happy holidays.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2013, 10:31:42 AM »
Very excited about coming/going back to Dismal...cant wait.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2013, 01:56:51 PM »
I've wanted to return to actually play the courses after my first visit to see Dismal River on a few days past official closing a couple of years ago.  CJ, being the gracious fellow he is, actually put off his return to his home after a long season just to show me around.  1/3 of Doak Course was only just being grown in at that time, and I was keen on returning for that first 5th Major.  But, a few things got in the way.  I'm excited to make the commitment to attend next year and see old friends and meet some new ones.  The deposit is in the mail...  ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Michael George

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2013, 02:35:11 PM »
I've heard that Dismal Red course is better than Ballyneal  :D
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Sam Morrow

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2013, 11:28:07 PM »
If you're on the fence I can't say enough good things about the trip. Everything is great, the golf, the company, the food. The dramatic setting of the Nebraska sand hills is amazing. The drive from North Platte to Dismal by itself is amazing.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2013, 10:16:43 AM »
8)  Eric,

Have any women played and invaded the the boys club outing?

Steve, as Eric said, my wife Laura attended with me in '11 and '13.  She was very much welcomed by all and had a great time.  No reason to have any doubts.  PM me if you'd like and I'll be happy to fill you in.  

By the way - we stayed in North Platte one night - the La Quinta just east of town was really nice and almost next door to a nice looking, low-key local course called Iron Eagle - definitely not the type of course we talk about here, but tough to beat for $25!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 10:30:38 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Jason Thurman

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2013, 07:47:05 PM »
I thought about bringing my mother. She's a good ballstriker with a high handicap and would've made a good playing partner for an event like this. She also would've had a great enough time to make all the ribbing I'd take worth it. She's a crass city girl gone country who likes drinking beer and using chainsaws. She even wears Trues and occasionally plays barefoot. She'd fit right in with this crowd and the Sandhills. Sadly, plantar fasciitis makes it just too risky for her to commit to a few consecutive 36 hole days.

But yeah, if you're thinking about bringing a woman, go for it. You'll get made fun of a bit, but so will the rest of us. I've seen GCAers play. Most of them will be getting outdriven by her.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2013, 07:52:31 PM »
Jason, barefooted and sand hill pricker-burrs definitely don't mix!   :o

But, the chainsaw may come in handy cutting down a few egos.   ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2013, 07:56:05 PM »
Barefoot doesn't mix well with plantar fasciitis either. I think her barefoot days and her days playing in Trues are probably over. She just needs a little more support than either of those options give. But she walked the back nine at Lawsonia a few years ago shoeless like Sam Snead with painted nails. It was hilarious to me.

Eric Smith

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2013, 08:01:18 PM »
Barefoot doesn't mix well with plantar fasciitis either.

I'm currently suffering the same from wearing the barefoot platform shoes these past couple of years. Gave them to Goodwill last month.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2013, 08:04:56 PM »
Eric, I'm sorry about your condition but glad to hear that I won't be the only person at the Major who isn't wearing Trues. Hopefully you get healed up quickly. Plantar fasciitis can be a real lingering nightmare.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2013, 08:11:02 PM »
Barefoot doesn't mix well with plantar fasciitis either.

I'm currently suffering the same from wearing the barefoot platform shoes these past couple of years. Gave them to Goodwill last month.
I guess I can get a deal on Merrill at Goodwill?

Eric Smith

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2013, 08:15:37 PM »
In all fairness, I stopped wearing the Trues in 2012. I've been wearing Merrells and loved them on and off the course, not realizing the condition I was developing was due in part to the type of shoes I'd been wearing.

Sam, yes! Doubt they're still around. They were some bad ass looking sneakers!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2013, 08:18:28 PM »
In all fairness, I stopped wearing the Trues in 2012. I've been wearing Merrells and loved them on and off the course, not realizing the condition I was developing was due in part to the type of shoes I'd been wearing.

Sam, yes! Doubt they're still around. They were some bad ass looking sneakers!

I can make you a great deal on shoes....

Doug Siebert

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2013, 11:41:14 PM »
Count me in again, wouldn't miss it for the world!

Hopefully CJ's offer to partner up again next year still stands.  He made a great partner last summer, with his rather questionable short game perfectly complementing my erratic tee shots ;D
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2013, 07:58:14 AM »

Hopefully CJ's offer to partner up again next year still stands.  He made a great partner last summer, with his rather questionable short game perfectly complementing my erratic tee shots ;D

Partner, I'm hurt.

Do you know delicate a bladed 60 degree wedge is to hit, off the front left cart tire?  I simply miscalculated the tire angle as my eyes aren't what they uied to be!

Style points, Baby!

Doug Siebert

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2013, 01:09:33 AM »

Partner, I'm hurt.

Do you know delicate a bladed 60 degree wedge is to hit, off the front left cart tire?  I simply miscalculated the tire angle as my eyes aren't what they uied to be!

Style points, Baby!

You could have really scored some style points if after it hit the cart tire it caromed into Kavanaugh's shin, and from there into the cup.

You work on that, and I'll work on my approaches from out of a yucca plant.  We get these shots down and we'll be unbeatable next year!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2013, 05:35:04 PM »
Hey Eric,

do you still have space for a newbie. I dont have a partner since i only joined this past week.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back