News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

2014 5th Major at Dismal River
« on: September 24, 2013, 12:28:56 PM »

Ladies & Gentlemen:

It’s time to start thinking about next year’s 5th Major, which is set to be held June 27-29 at Dismal River Golf Club in Mullen, Nebraska. All GCAers are invited to attend.

This is a not-too-serious fourball affair played over three days on both Jack Nicklaus’s White Course and Tom Doak’s latest creation, the Red Course. With the new course up and running I expect we'll have a full field, so be sure to book early.

You will need a partner, but don’t hesitate to come alone, as we've had success in pairing the eventual champs in both 2011 and 2012. :) This past summer, JakaB “brung his own” and won, so it's entirely up to you whether or not you want to ask a friend. All are welcome, and it goes without saying that the weekend is more about having fun than it is about winning. You'll play a ton of golf and you’ll make a bunch of new friends - that much I can guarantee!

I can’t thank the club enough for allowing me to host such a large group and for the considerable discount they’ve given us on guest fees. My friend and fellow GCAer, Chris Johnston, CEO of Dismal River, deserves the bulk of my gratitude. Thank you, Chris.

So with that being said, here are the details for the 2014 5th Major:

Format: Fourball
*Flighted
*Series of 9 hole matches
*Flight winners playoff for the Nicklaus Trophy

When: Friday, June 27 to Sunday, June 29

Field: 40 Teams

Who's Playing: This list is tentative unless stated otherwise.

Fee: $575 plus tax includes: Unlimited golf on Friday, Saturday and Sunday
                        2 Nights accommodations in the cabins at Dismal River (Friday & Saturday nights)

Deposits: A $100.00 deposit secures your reservation for 2014. Please email me esmith@5thmajor.com for payment instructions.

Additional day(s): Those wishing to stay extra days and/or nights before or after the event should contact the club directly at 308-546-2900 or via email to Shanda at smesic@dismalriver.com . Space may be limited so be sure to check early. Regular Guest rates will apply.

Transportation: The easiest way to fly to Dismal River is via Denver International Airport. There you can rent a car and drive approximately 5 hours to DRGC. http://goo.gl/maps/KZ9B2 Many GCAers have carpooled from DIA to Dismal and I'd expect that to be the case next year as well so check back later for updates.

*Another option is to fly further on from Denver to North Platte, Nebraska via Great Lakes Air. http://greatlakes.booksecure.net/Criteria.aspx There you can rent a car and drive approximately an hour and a half to the club. Their flight schedule is limited so you'll want to check to be sure there are available flights on the dates in which you wish to travel.

Other golf courses to consider on your trip:
In Denver there is a public course by Tom Doak, CommonGround
Also in Denver is the private Coore & Crenshaw design Colorado Golf Club
About halfway to Dismal River is the private Tom Doak design, Ballyneal
Near Ogallala on Lake McConaughy, there is Bayside, which has an affordable stay and play package.
A bit further east on I-80 is Wild Horse
Next door to Dismal River is Sand Hills Golf Club
2 hours north of the club is the Prairie Club  

Previous 5th Major threads on GCA: 2011 2012 2013

More info may be found at www.5thmajor.com

Hope to see you in June!

Eric
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 05:01:13 PM by Eric Smith »

Brad Swanson

Re: 2014 5th Major at Dismal River
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 02:19:26 PM »
Tempted to un-retire for this.  Looks like a great event.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 02:33:48 PM »
Just sent an email to my partner...I'M in.

Frank Pont

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 02:39:05 PM »
Very tempted to go, need to check my work schedule for June next year if I can find a gap of a week to fly to the US....

Andrew Buck

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
Wish I could make an event like this, hopefully in the future when the kids are older (or a buddy trip drops).

That said, I'm impressed JakaB won as he must have overcome a lot of obstacles considering he's the only guy to not bend the rules of golf.   ;)

Have fun all!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 04:38:33 PM by Andrew Buck »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
Wish I could make an event like this, hopefully in the future when the kids are older (or a buddy trip drops).

That said, I'm impressed JakaB won as he must have had to overcome a lot of obstacles considering he's the only guy who bend the rules of golf.   ;)

Have fun all!

I won because the playoff is played at scratch.  Best format I ever played.

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 04:33:08 PM »
Tempted to un-retire for this.  Looks like a great event.

You're too young for retirement. Get your butt to Nebraska next summer!

Lou_Duran

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 04:33:17 PM »
scratch ... and he brought a ringer.  In fact, his two other "friends" were also ringers.  Nice guys, which puzzled me a bit.

I am in, provided that I can find a ringer of my own (and I don't mean a guy who can hit the ball a ton but has to play scratch; I want an 18 handicapper who makes 4-5 natural pars) AND I can avoid BarneyF.

JC Jones

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 04:39:36 PM »
Lou,

Those types of guys don't exist in real life. 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Brandon Urban

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 04:56:08 PM »
If you've never been, find a way to go. It is a fantastic event with a bunch of really good guys at a very amazing place.
I am, of course, in.
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 05:11:19 PM »
Lou,

Oh contraire, my friend.  You wouldn't believe how many natural pars I can make, and even a birdie or two, and still not break 90. Hey, if I'm reading you and Lou right, if I ever make it to one of these I just might be popular!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 05:13:09 PM by PPallotta »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 05:25:32 PM »
Lou,

Oh contraire, my friend.  You wouldn't believe how many natural pars I can make, and even a birdie or two, and still not break 90. Hey, if I'm reading you and Lou right, if I ever make it to one of these I just might be popular!

P,

You will be popular until you win.  People who read names on trophies and tombstones are not looking for friends.

Eric Smith

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 05:29:06 PM »
Peter my friend, having you attend would be like finding the arkenstone.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 05:32:51 PM »
Ah, the ying and yang of JK and Eric!!

Thanks to you both, gents.

Peter

Mike Hogan

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 06:19:32 PM »
I am in! Can't wait.
I am starting to work on my game right now. I should get my handy somewhere between 15 and 18 by next June.

Looking for a ringer to partner with.

Peter Le

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 07:50:56 PM »
I'm in! Too enticing to pass up. Plenty of time to let the golf game freeze during the winter and thaw it out in the spring...
PL

John McCarthy

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 08:00:38 PM »
I'm in.  If I get enough former Butler National caddies to come also could our cabin be called...

Wait for it...

The Butler Cabin?
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Mark Steffey

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 08:19:57 PM »
this may work this year....

Scott Szabo

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 11:13:34 PM »
Trying to get a pass for next year.  Really need to make it out and meet a few more GCAers.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Ryan Kennedy

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 02:07:43 AM »
Are Club Pros permitted to play?

Eric Smith

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 07:43:28 AM »
Are Club Pros permitted to play?

Absolutely! Ours played in it last year as has a number of former club pros over the years. Pretty much the genesis of the 5th Major was my trying to find a way to get a group of former Palmetto Dunes staffers back together once a year after most of us had moved away from Hilton Head.  15 years later most can't even break an egg, myself included!

Steve Lang

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 10:19:39 PM »
 8)  Eric,

Have any women played and invaded the the boys club outing?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Brian Finn

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 10:36:34 PM »
I am going to do everything I can to make it this year. I will have to skip my high school's annual outing, which is the same weekend each year.  Hopefully my brother will do the same, and be my partner. This just seems to be too much fun to keep missing out on.  Thank you for putting it together and inviting all of us.  
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Eric Smith

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 10:37:17 PM »
8)  Eric,

Have any women played and invaded the the boys club outing?

Steve,

Yes they have! Laura Herrmann has played in it twice with her husband Dan. I know right now there are two couples signed up to play next year, so why not join us as couple # 3? :)

Eric Smith

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 10:42:34 PM »
I am going to do everything I can to make it this year. I will have to skip my high school's annual outing, which is the same weekend each year.  Hopefully my brother will do the same, and be my partner. This just seems to be too much fun to keep missing out on.  Thank you for putting it together and inviting all of us.  

Brian,

I'm so bummed to be missing the Midwest Mashie this weekend. Was really looking forward to meeting you, as well as the other Brian (Mr. Hoover). Would be great to have all you guys out to Dismal next summer. Mr. Laurent as well!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back