News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel Pear

New Member Intro
« on: September 16, 2013, 06:49:32 PM »
Greetings from a long (long) time lurker from the western suburbs of Chicago.  I grew up in the DC area and my first time on a golf course was in 1963 at the 9-holer on the grounds of the Naval Ordinance Lab in Hillendale.  After that I graduated to Sligo Creek and Rock Creek.  My brother and our friends would take the bus, clubs and all to Rock Creek.  I still remember climbing "cardiac hill" on #13.  

Chicago became my home in 1985.  For about 6 years in the early 2000s I was a member at Aurora Country Club, a nice sporty course originally designed by Bendalow that has had some work done on it, most recently by Greg Martin.  Currently, I play the usual suspects in the western burbs.

While enjoying this site and learning immensely about GCA, I really never felt the need to take the plunge to register, because, quite frankly, I didn't know that I could add anything substantive to the conversation.  The recent thread on the Country Club of York changed that.  I was married there 27 years ago.  My wife's parents are long time members, as were their parents, too.  My father in law is a past president of the club as are two of my wife's uncles.  It is a truly special place and an absolutely beautiful golf course.

Anyway, I am happy to be an actual participant here, and hopefully won't make too many stupid remarks.

Joe Bausch

Re: New Member Intro
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 07:28:45 PM »
Well, I'm really happy my CCofYork thread catalyzed you to get onto the site.  Welcome, Joel!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tim Martin

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 08:18:53 PM »
Joel-Welcome to GCA. I have to say that CC of York was an absolute pleasure including the fine Donald Ross golf course, clubhouse and staff. I was paired with Joe Bausch, Jim Sherma and Mike Malone who are all GCA members and I feel comfortable speaking for them when I say it was a standout day and more than we expected. I would never tire of playing York and hope to get there again soon.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 08:31:42 PM »
Hi Joel! I'm also a denizen of the western suburbs, Winfield to be exact. There are a few of us out this way, but most of the Chicago GCA contingent (and a rather robust crew it is) are city folk.

What are some of your usual haunts out here?

noonan

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 10:19:34 PM »
Welcome aboard!

Jim Colton

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 03:01:31 AM »
Welcome Joel! Western burbs in the hizzouse.

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 08:55:41 AM »
Welcome Joel!
H.P.S.

John McCarthy

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 09:17:08 AM »
Welcome aboard from one of the Chicago folk! 

The food may be better in the city but you got us beat golf course-wise. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 09:19:07 AM »
Anyway, I am happy to be an actual participant here, and hopefully won't make too many stupid remarks.

How do you expect to feel like an actual participant, then?

(Emoticons omitted.)

Welcome to the Treehouse.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 03:51:46 PM »
Welcome to the group Joel.

Joel Pear

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 08:38:05 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!  Matthew, I play with a group on Saturdays that rotates Cantigny, Orchard Valley, and Bowes Creek.  On Sundays I usually play Prairie Landing.

John McCarthy

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 09:02:38 PM »
Have you played Blackstone?
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Brian Hilko

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 07:46:33 AM »
Hello Joel,
It is nice to hear a fellow western suburbs resident has joined the group.  Just one question.  How is Highlands of Elgin not in your rotation?

Brian
Down with the brown

Joel Pear

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 06:34:17 PM »
John, I have not played Blackstone.  Brian, I played Highlands of Elgin this year and loved the course.  Unfortunately, it was about a 5 1/2 hour round on a really hot day.  The group ahead of us was at least a hole and a half behind, playing the tips and looking for golf balls on every hole.  I would definitely go back, but I don't think anyone else in the group would.

Marc Huther

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 12:19:12 AM »
Welcome :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back