News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Lloyd

New Member Intro
« on: October 17, 2013, 07:24:58 PM »
I can’t tell if introductions for new members on this site are encouraged or not but a lot of people seem to introduce themselves, so here it goes…

As a long-time follower of this site who finally got around to joining, I first want to thank everyone who has contributed to this endeavor.  The course reviews, articles and commentary are all great.  I don’t get a chance to play nearly as much golf as I would like, and this site has definitely filled that gap to some degree.  It has expanded my golf course knowledge and given me an endless number of travel ideas.  So to everyone that has contributed – thanks a lot.

A bit of background on myself: I live in Los Angeles and work for an entertainment law firm, at least until I sell my next five screenplays and can quit my day job.  I grew up in Columbus, Ohio playing Scioto and OSU Scarlet.  Now I would consider The Kingsley Club to be my home course, as I spend a good bit of my summers in the Traverse City area.

As a golfer, I’m slightly above-average but simply don’t play enough to get any better, which is frustrating. But I try to make my rounds count, opting for quality over quantity.  I’ve recently been to Crystal Downs, Oak Hill, Mission Hills and Torrey Pines, with a Bandon venture set for November. 

Also, as a part-time itinerant screenwriter, I have to weigh in with the sure-to-be unpopular opinion that “Tin Cup” is far superior to “Caddyshack” as a piece of golf-themed filmmaking.

jeffwarne

Re: New Member Intro
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 07:33:05 PM »
Those US Open scenes in Tin Cup are horrific

Caddyshack by a mile

Of course I enjoyed Happy Gilmore ;D ::)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 07:43:06 PM »
Caddyshack is stupid and boring. Tin Cup by a mile.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 07:44:34 PM »
Welcome, Matthew! Have you ever thought about a golf course, or more specifically a golf round, as a story? Maybe not in a Robert McKee / Save the Cat formulaic way but -- wait, I'll stop there and enjoy your thoughts.

Jeff, I am less horrified by the US Open scenes in Tin Cup than by the fact that Texas has hosted a US Open.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 07:57:39 PM »
Texas has hosted 3 US Opens and Tin Cup is better.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 08:10:50 PM »
I can’t tell if introductions for new members on this site are encouraged or not but a lot of people seem to introduce themselves, so here it goes…

As a long-time follower of this site who finally got around to joining, I first want to thank everyone who has contributed to this endeavor.  The course reviews, articles and commentary are all great.  I don’t get a chance to play nearly as much golf as I would like, and this site has definitely filled that gap to some degree.  It has expanded my golf course knowledge and given me an endless number of travel ideas.  So to everyone that has contributed – thanks a lot.

A bit of background on myself: I live in Los Angeles and work for an entertainment law firm, at least until I sell my next five screenplays and can quit my day job.  I grew up in Columbus, Ohio playing Scioto and OSU Scarlet.  Now I would consider The Kingsley Club to be my home course, as I spend a good bit of my summers in the Traverse City area.

As a golfer, I’m slightly above-average but simply don’t play enough to get any better, which is frustrating. But I try to make my rounds count, opting for quality over quantity.  I’ve recently been to Crystal Downs, Oak Hill, Mission Hills and Torrey Pines, with a Bandon venture set for November. 

Also, as a part-time itinerant screenwriter, I have to weigh in with the sure-to-be unpopular opinion that “Tin Cup” is far superior to “Caddyshack” as a piece of golf-themed filmmaking.

I would agree with the Tin Cup pick if it weren't for the un-frickinly-believable ending.  Rene Russo is one hot and cool lady.  

Have you played with GCA's David Royer at Scioto?

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 08:32:48 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  A few quick responses:

Mark ---- I've never really stopped to consider the similarities between a well told story and a good golf course, but now that I'm thinking about there are definitely some common elements: momentum plays a huge role in both.  In a good movie you need frequent changes in pace and style between scenes yet the overall narrative needs a certain amount of consistency and overall cohesion to work completely, sort of like a golf course.  There are also similarities I would say in the opening 10-15 minutes of a movie and the first few holes of a golf course.  Some movies come out of the gates fast (insert preferred action movie choice here), others take a while to set up the characters, etc.  I've certainly played golf courses that fit each of these descriptions.  

The strong similarity that I HAVE given a lot of thought to, however, is how similar the production of a golf course is to the production of a movie.  The role of the golf architect is very similar to a movie director who doesn't write his/her own scripts.  What the screenplay is to the director, the piece of land is to the architect.  And not all subject matter/land is created equal.  For instance, just as a director would kill to get the canvas of "Lawrence of Arabia" or "Saving Private Ryan," a golf course architect would probably walk across hot coals to build a course at Bandon or Cabot Links or a similar property.  The similarities don't stop there, of course, but at risk of boring anyone who reads this post I'll stop there.  But I do think the jobs and the process are very similar.  

Bill --- I do not know David Royer at Scioto, though my dad (Tom Lloyd) might.  I haven't played regularly at Scioto since 1998, though I try to fit in a round or two per year with my dad when I'm back in Ohio visiting.  I still can't score well on that course despite knowing it like the back of my hand! It's been fun to see how much overlap there is now between Scioto and Kingsley, as those are the two courses I've spent the most time on.  

Bill Gayne

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 09:33:11 PM »
Lacey Underall over Rene Russo!

Tim Leahy

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 03:06:26 AM »
What do think about Rustic Canyon? How about your five favorite public courses in or near LA.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 08:54:02 AM »
It's a lock!  I hit my 7-iron like John Daly hits the 3!  

Another great match play matchup thread would be Tin Cup vs. Caddyshack on various filmmaking aspects

Jordan Standefer

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 09:44:19 AM »
Welcome from another LA-area forum newbie also in the business.

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 09:49:30 AM »
Welcome Matt, even though I have no idea how you could find Tin Cup better than Caddyshack.

I'd venture to say that I would rather watch Caddyshack II  :o  :-X over Tin Cup.
H.P.S.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 10:09:42 AM »
Oh c'mon, even if you don't like Tin Cup, it, in the very least, surely beats Caddyshack II!!  ;D

Jason Topp

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 10:33:45 AM »
Matthew:

The critics were merciless at the time Caddyshack came out so they probably would agree with you.  Harold Ramis might even agree with you as he has expressed how disappointed he was with the film.  

However, Caddyshack is the one film that captured the actual fun of the game and the vast gulf that seperates how golfers think of themselves and reality.  It is the one film that actually seems like it was created by people who know the game.

So . . . you are wrong.

Nonetheless,  welcome to the group. You should keep an eye out for an event called the Kings Putter which pits teams representing Northern California and Southern California.  I am not sure what the plans are for 2014 but meeting people in person is the best way to get a sense of the group.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 01:12:37 PM »
Jason,

The plans for Kings Putter are for Richard Choi to host at Chambers Bay a year before the open there.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Chris DeToro

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 01:59:10 PM »
So . . . you are wrong.

I think Matthew hears this phrase a lot  ;D

Greg Taylor

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 02:42:10 PM »
good intro until the hard fail regarding Caddy Shack versus Tin Cup!

Welcome anyway...

RDecker

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 04:34:20 PM »
Saying Tin Cup is better or worse than Caddyshack is like saying Beer is better than Bourbon.  Both are worthwhile although as a comedy set in a golf setting Caddyshack is far better than Tin Cup is as a romantic comedy.  That being said I like the "Greatest Game Ever Played" quite alot myself.  The definitive golf movie is still waiting to be made in my humble opinion.

BHoover

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 04:37:47 PM »
The definitive golf movie is still waiting to be made in my humble opinion.

I thought that was Caddyshack 2? No love for Jack Hartoonian and Chandler Young and Mr. Sanderson?

I do enjoy "The Greatest Game Ever Played" and (hate to admit this) "The Legend of Bagger Vance". Okay, where do I submit my GCA resignation?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 04:41:07 PM by Brian Hoover »

David Royer

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 05:17:03 PM »
Welcome! Always good to have another Buckeye advancing the cause.  Brian, leave your man card at the door!

BHoover

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 05:19:10 PM »
Welcome! Always good to have another Buckeye advancing the cause.  Brian, leave your man card at the door!

Dave, I said I hated to admit liking Bagger Vance! But you're right, it's always good to have another Ohioan on the board.

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 05:30:22 PM »
I'll defend the "Bagger Vance" pick to the extent that it SHOULD have been a great movie.  Matt Damon coming off "Good Will Hunting" and "The Talented Mr. Ripley."  Will Smith.  A director who had huge success with sports movies as an actor.  The pedigree was all there.  The problem in my opinion was that Robert Redford was simply past his prime as a director at that point.  "A River Runs Through It" and "Quiz Show" rank among the best movies of all time, but as a director he regressed big-time after those two efforts.  He hasn't come close to that level since.  

Would have preferred to see "The Greatest Player Who Never Lived" adapted into a movie ahead of "Bagger Vance" though...

Mark Steffey

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 07:28:18 PM »
Lacey Underall over Rene Russo!

very, very close to the "6 word book" hemingway trick!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back