News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Molyneux

Keeping the playing field level, seeking opinion
« on: September 08, 2013, 10:07:01 PM »
I'd love some opinion on this! I play in weekly league competitions at a club outside of Philadelphia. It's 9 holes each week (alternating nines from week to week) and for handicapping purposes, ONLY scores shot on league nights count. We play a fairly demanding course from around 6600 yards (71.8/134). There are some very challenging holes, a par five on the back that plays well over 600 yards uphill and another couple long (424 & 418) par fours (with substantial forced carries off both tees). Those holes can put par (or just hitting the fairway) out of the question for at least a few players.

Handicaps from this recently completed season will carry over to next year. I expect some players to argue in winter meetings that moving up from blue tees to green tees on just those three holes, the long 5 and the two par 4s will make the competition more "fun" for all involved. If that were to happen, the par 5 would go from 628 to 527. The fours would reduce from 424 to 368 and 418 to 404... with the implication that everyone would then be able to get beyond the hazard off the tee.

I guess handicaps will eventually even out but my question has to do with who (if anyone) gets an advantage next season if the three holes in question (Handicaps #5, #2, and #6) are moved up from the Blue to the Green tee?

Ed Brzezowski

Re: Keeping the playing field level, seeking opinion
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 10:17:18 PM »
The higher caps get the advantage ,  why not adjust the caps according to the course rating for the " new" nine.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 10:27:32 PM »
What is the scoring format?

If it's medal play, I think the best plan is to just allow players with a handicap over a certain number to play all 9 holes from the green tees. It's much easier to convert their handicap that way to make scoring equitable - just adjust their number to the reduced slope and rating.

If it's match play, you could do the same, but you might also be able to get creative. Personally, I'd think about putting in a rule allowing the higher handicap player to scoot up a tee on any hole they get a stroke on, but they must give up the stroke to do so. Then, you could even allow the lower handicap player to "press," enabling them to play from the next tee up as well but return the stroke to the competitor. You'd get some interesting decisions that way and increase the variety of the course from week to week as players could play potentially play different tees on different holes. It's admittedly a bit tougher to handicap, but it shouldn't be too hard to calculate.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

noonan

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 11:35:56 PM »
The only way the higher handicaps have an advantage is if it is 100% handicap.

Mark Molyneux

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 12:23:57 PM »
Continuing the discussion of possible advantage gained, the format is unique. Five points are available weekly. Teams compete for 3 of those points in a 100% handicapped, better ball of partners match. The remaining points are available 1 each for a 100% handicapped medal play competition pitting the higher handicapped partners against each other and the lower handicapped partners against each other.

Jason! I particularly like your thinking... creative, outside the box. I also liked the suggestions that a complete move up to the shorter tees for one group be considered with newer handicaps calculated from those tees.

We're all getting older and we'll all end up there some day.

Thanks for the input and any other ideas will be gladly accepted!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back