News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Nuzzo

What courses play from a single teeing area?
« on: September 12, 2013, 07:17:08 PM »
From Jon Wiggett on another thread:

"Many of the lesser known courses here in the Scottish Highlands have the same teeing ground for all players and yet still present an interesting yet playable challenge to all regardless of playing ability."

Jon - would you share some of those please?

What other golf courses play from a single teeing area?

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

jeffwarne

Re: What courses play from a single teeing area?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 07:20:12 PM »
my dream course ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 07:52:03 PM »
Garden City Golf Club used to have only a couple of holes that had two separate tees ... most had a single tee with two sets of markers, although some of the tees were fairly long.  [It helps that they don't have any ladies to worry about.]  I tried to preserve this as long as I could, but we have added a few back tees now.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 07:58:29 PM »
Surely if the site was not too severe,and a bit of imagination was employed, two sets of tees could work, with the scorecard indicating what tees to play from for an all front  forward tee  yardage, a mix creating a white tee yardage, another mix creating a blue tee yardage, and an all tip black yardage.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 02:09:15 AM »
most had a single tee with two sets of markers

The penny just dropped.  I never considered a platform for a teeing area would be labelled as a tee.  I always considered the tee where the markers are, thus the same platform could have 3-4 sets of tees.  Using the idea of a platform being called a tee, where does the runway tee it in?  Some of those suckers are big enough to 7-8 sets of markers.

Anyway, I am with Jeff.  Generally speaking, one platform can handle nearly all play.  Some need two or three because of play issues (mucho rounds) and design concepts.  Most importantly, using width (creating alternate angles) for the platforms is a far more interesting way to create variety rather than focusing in length.  I am all for 3, 4, 5 or even 6 platforms if width is the main goal. If width isn't a possibility then I think an archie should be looking to build holes where 1 or 2 platforms does the job architecturally.  This isn't always possible, but it should be a goal.  There is no need to automatically create significant yardage differences on every hole.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

D_Malley

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 07:48:05 AM »
Paxon Hollow basically uses two sets of tees for all play. 
we do have four colors Blue/white/gold/red but on many holes the blue and white are combined and the gold and red are combined.

we are a very busy public course with limited square footage tee area, also the yardage maxes out at 5800.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 07:55:20 AM »
Most miniature golf courses.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Lou_Duran

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 09:30:34 AM »
Most miniature golf courses.

My, don't we have an egalitarian streak on this site.  If only nature would cooperate with our yearnings (hopefully with a bias toward Tiger Woods as opposed to Lou Duran).

Andrew Buck

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 09:57:12 AM »
most had a single tee with two sets of markers

The penny just dropped.  I never considered a platform for a teeing area would be labelled as a tee.  I always considered the tee where the markers are, thus the same platform could have 3-4 sets of tees.  Using the idea of a platform being called a tee, where does the runway tee it in?  Some of those suckers are big enough to 7-8 sets of markers.

Anyway, I am with Jeff.  Generally speaking, one platform can handle nearly all play.  Some need two or three because of play issues (mucho rounds) and design concepts.  Most importantly, using width (creating alternate angles) for the platforms is a far more interesting way to create variety rather than focusing in length.  I am all for 3, 4, 5 or even 6 platforms if width is the main goal. If width isn't a possibility then I think an archie should be looking to build holes where 1 or 2 platforms does the job architecturally.  This isn't always possible, but it should be a goal.  There is no need to automatically create significant yardage differences on every hole.

Ciao

There was a course in Kankakee, IL designed by Buzz Didier that was absurdly long for it's day.  I seem to remember they had 7,500 yard, 7,000 yard and 6,000 yard tees all on the same tee boxes.

It's been closed for some time, so my memory may be failing me.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 04:03:03 PM »
I'm wondering if the reversible course Jon built all plays from a single tee (in each direction).
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 04:16:25 PM »
Hi Mike,

I was thinking of one platform (but not the huge ones) but two sets of markers though some have one set of markers painted half/half. Off the top of my head Grantown-on-Spey, Abernethy, Portmahomack, Brahan, Muir of Ord, to name but a few but there are many more. Alwoodley's first used to be and might still but not sure as if I am not mistaken did the 17th at Ganton.

GJ, I have some holes where red and yellow is the same. The reverse course is on hold as I am having trouble getting the public liability insurance for it (insurance companies do not like different ideas :'()

Jon

RichMacafee

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 02:03:36 AM »
Kingston Heath has only one teeing area on every hole except the 2nd for the members medal course.

Some tees are longer than others (6,12,16 the longest), but the majority don't have a massive difference between where he Medal markers are placed and the White tee markers.

This changes for a pro tournament though, when 1,2,4,12,13,18 all go back to separate 'Tiger Tees'
"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf. It's almost law" H.G.Wells.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back