News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Hufnagel

Re: Calling all hickory players. Advice please.
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2013, 06:31:05 PM »
Thank you all for your help and advice on hickories, both on this DG and also via PM. I have now acquired a few hickories and with an admittedly health limited amount of play so far, have found them very enjoyable to play. They (so far!) don't seem to be as difficult to hit as I'd imagined and are terrific around the greens. Swinging with rhythm seems key (isn't is always!), no 'hitting' at the ball, smooooth swinging only. Driver is not easy, probably needs more loft. Fairway wood, flights like a modern hybrid. Irons sharp edged, narrow flange equals bigger divots than accustomed, ball flight lower but fine. Bunkers - firm, wet sand - open blade just like normal. Dry, soft bunker sand - possible but well no wonder Messrs Hagen/Sarazen etc came up with their versions of the modern sand-iron head. Putting, interesting, tiny sweet spot, lots of loft, change in technique needed. Need to try an age-appropriate ball sometime, currently using 'soft' modern ball (no way I'd use a 'rock' ball).

One of my reasons for trying hickories is to appreciate yee olde architecture better although I've not yet played a yee olde course from the late 18th century-early 19th century with hickory so nothing yet to report, except that pretty obviously really, hazards out of range with modern equipment are in range with hickory and the ball rolls more/flights lower.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

All the best

Thomas, I have been playing hickories periodically now for about a year (thanks to the late Ralph Livingston III and GCA-ers Messrs. Andrew Lewis and Matt Schmidt), but I am undecidedly hooked.  Your summary above, based on my limited experience, is just about right...

My game with the modern implements is pretty sketchy, I can certainly foresee a day in the future when I give up on the latest/greatest technology and take the game back to a simpler place with my Tom Stewart irons and McIntyre golf ball...

JC Jones

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2013, 06:39:04 PM »

My game with the modern implements is pretty sketchy

Don't believe this, Chris is a great player.

I will admit to not having much interest in hickories until seeing the game enjoyed by Lewis, Hufnagel and others at Kingsley.  Now I'm seriously contemplating picking up a club or two to see what it is like.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

BHoover

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2013, 06:48:17 PM »
I'll admit that I'm kind of curious what it woul be like to hit a few shots with hickories. But that being said, I just don't see myself ever getting the itch to buy a whole set and play with them. I get plenty of enjoyment out of using modern equipment and trying to compete (as best I can).

Not saying I don't understand the reason for playing hickories. I'm saying that I just don't have that same desire.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »

JC, very nice of you to say, but I suck.  To put it simply, I love the game more than the game loves me, but I am OK with that - I wasn't for awhile, but now I am...

I will admit, the Mashie was one of the highlights of my golfing year (thanks to George Freeman) and spending two rounds with you plus sharing a bourbon or two at night was the highlight of a tremendous weekend.  It was a great few days at a place I love and certainly a weekend I will remember fondly for years to come.  I can't remember laughing so hard (not at you, but with you) at any other time this year...

Brian, I was in a very similar position as you just a year or two back.  I never understood the fascination with hickories.  I thought it would be too hard, too frustrating, and generally not as interesting as a game with my 460cc driver and high MOI putter...but I was wrong.  

I love hickory golf now (on the right course from the right tees) and I look forward to rounds with hickories with equal anticipation as to rounds with my SLDR driver and Pro V1's.  There is just something about striking a ball purely with a club that is 100 years old and I can tell you the feeling in the hands and soul after a ball well struck with those clubs is so much more satisfying than with a club off the "hot list."  If you love golf, its history, and can suspend disbelief for just a minute - I can pretty much assure you that you might get hooked.

In my case, it doesn't hurt that Ralph Livingston III introduced me to this form of golf and his enthusiasm and passion was infectious, I now swing clubs from his personal collection, and I get to call Kingsley home  - all in all, I am very lucky on many levels.

I cleaned-up my Tom Stewart irons this afternoon and begin packing for the Mid Pines Hickory Open this November - can't wait...

BHoover

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2013, 08:05:51 PM »
Playing hickories at a place like Kingsley or a true links in GB&I would be interesting. Maybe not so much on your average parkland course.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2013, 08:13:41 PM »
Playing hickories at a place like Kingsley or a true links in GB&I would be interesting. Maybe not so much on your average parkland course.

Couldn't agree more...the right course (and maintenance) make a huge difference.  There are a lot of courses I wouldn't consider playing hickories with because it just isn't as fun.

A perfect example of this is at Rolling Rock - the original nine is Ross and they added a second nine in the 90s - a Silva.  The topography is very severe on the new nine and the nines couldn't be more different.  I spent a weekend there this spring - my first visit.  I played my second round with hickories and loved the front and was miserable on the back - both because the difference in architectural style and because the back didn't lend itself to the hickory game...

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2013, 01:05:46 AM »
PAOLO QUIRICI FROM SWITZERLAND WINS WORLD HICKORY OPEN
06 October 2013

NEWS RELEASE
ISSUED BY Carnoustie Country

After three days of top-class hickory golf on two historic Carnoustie Country golf courses, the World Hickory Open 2013 was won by Swiss golf professional Paolo Quirici.  

“What a highly enjoyable event,” said Paolo, who only took up hickory golf two years ago.  “It was like going back in history, providing a reminder of what golf used to be – and what golf should be. Let’s do it all again next year!”

Tournament organiser Lionel Freedman explained that the World Hickory Open is a two-day tournament playing with hickory-shafted golf clubs and, in keeping with the ethos of the tournament, the competitors all dress impeccably in golfing outfits inspired by the golfers of the 1920s and 1930s.

“This year’s World Hickory Open was played on Montrose Medal, a Carnoustie Country golf course with a golfing heritage stretching back over 450 years, which certainly added to the historic atmosphere of the event,” said Lionel, who co-founded the World Hickory Open nine years ago.  

“This tournament is much more than a recreation of golf’s glory days – it’s an opportunity for some of the world’s best hickory golfers to test their skills against each other on top notch links courses.
"Every year, the standard of golf played in the World Hickory Open soars higher and this was certainly highlighted by this year’s tournament, which was played on a challenging course and in sometimes difficult weather conditions.”

Golf professional Andrew Marshall from Norfolk was runner-up in the World Hickory Open, with Gregor Wright (Ladybank) in third place.
The winner of the ladies competition was 18-year-old Swedish golfer Frida Rydberg, a first time competitor who had travelled to Carnoustie Country from Stockholm with her parents, who were also competing in the tournament.
“It was great fun to play here,” said Frida. “The courses are so very different from those in Sweden.”

Frida is a member of my club and I've had the pleasure of playing with both her parents. Her mother Britta won the International Dutch Hickory Open on the heather golf course at the Ullerberg this year. Britta has also won the German (2009, 2010, 2011), Finnish (2010), Czech (2010) and Swedish (2010) championships. The hickory scene is very strong here in Sweden.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 05:26:54 AM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Jud_T

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2013, 08:19:06 AM »

I will admit to not having much interest in hickories until seeing the game enjoyed by Lewis, Hufnagel and others at Kingsley.  Now I'm seriously contemplating picking up a club or two to see what it is like.

here's your chance!:

http://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/auction-lots-14-golfing_memorabilia.html
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2013, 12:19:40 PM »
I wouldnt have the first clue what to purchase.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

David Harshbarger

« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2013, 11:03:11 PM »
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Thomas Dai

« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2013, 02:26:55 PM »
I'm tagging this link on here because of the splendid film of Harry Vardon and Ted Ray playing (obviously with hickories) at Cruden Bay in 1914.

Definitely worth watching by hickory enthusiasts -

http://ssa.nls.uk/film/3007

The golf starts about 5 mins into the film.

A great find by Bryan Izatt as highlighted by him on a Cruden Bay thread - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57041.0.html

All the best.

DMoriarty

Re: Hickory players - thoughts and advice
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2013, 04:57:47 PM »
Great clip.  Thanks Thomas and Bryan.

Nice pace of play.  Ray chipped, Vardon putted, then Ray putted, all in under 40 seconds total.   
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

JC Jones

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2013, 05:12:39 PM »
Great clip.  Thanks Thomas and Bryan.

Nice pace of play.  Ray chipped, Vardon putted, then Ray putted, all in under 40 seconds total.   

Very sophisticated editing back then. ;D

DMoriarty

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2013, 05:22:30 PM »
Maybe they cut out Ray's elaborate four minute pre-chip routine, but check out 5:40 to 6:20.  Ray chips, Vardon putts, Ray chips.  All with the film rolling.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tim Lewis

« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2013, 03:34:41 PM »
I just got my hands on a T. Stewart 3 iron, and I would like to use it once and a while, but I don't know if it is currently in playable condition. My main concern is that the head is a little loose. I would not feel comfortable trying to fix it myself, as I have no experience repairing hickories or any clubs. Are there places in the U.S. that could look at it for me, and make sure that it is playable, or do you guys think that my club pro would be able to reattach the head for me even if he doesn't have any prior experience with hickories.

Mike Policano

« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2013, 04:55:11 PM »
Tim,

You might want to consider a restoration expert in your area. Most likely the pin needs to be removed, the epoxy cleaned, the shaft inspected and finished and the shaft has to be re-epoxied into the club head, a new pin reinserted and whipping done where the shaft enters the club head. This requires an experienced hand. Most of us have seen work done by an inexperienced person. It is not pretty.

You can email Tim ALPAUGH at claretdreamer@gmail to see if he can help. There was an article in a recent Links issue on Tim called "The Hickory Doctor"

Cheers, Mike

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2013, 05:50:43 PM »
Tim check out this link if you are interested in the do it yourself route.  http://www.auldgolf.net/processes.html

I played my first round with hickories this weekend and was worried about breaking the clubs.  I figured the best way to find out if they were playable was to play with them (don't think they have much value so could be a different concern for you)...they played great and I really enjoyed playing with my wife from the same tee's.

edit: 
New link is http://www.auldgolfer.com/workshop.html
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:15:40 PM by Joe_Tucholski »

Ken Moum

« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2013, 09:49:04 PM »
I just got my hands on a T. Stewart 3 iron, and I would like to use it once and a while, but I don't know if it is currently in playable condition. My main concern is that the head is a little loose. I would not feel comfortable trying to fix it myself, as I have no experience repairing hickories or any clubs. Are there places in the U.S. that could look at it for me, and make sure that it is playable, or do you guys think that my club pro would be able to reattach the head for me even if he doesn't have any prior experience with hickories.

Being a bit of a mad scientist, I had to figure out a simple way to tighten heads.  I have seen writing from the golden age about simply dropping the clubs in a bucket of water that covers above the hosel. The problem is that they dry out and get loose.

Soooo.  I know they make some stuff that can permanently swell furniture spindles that is apparently a super glue product.

The mad scientist took regular super glue and slowly dripped it into the joint of the hosel.  Wiggling the head and dripping it until no more could be absorbed.

That fix has lasted more than five years on all of the clubs I "fixed.". It's simple, cheap and permanent.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Mike Hendren

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2014, 12:58:48 PM »
Any thoughts on this club:

Interesting groove pattern:

Back:

Thanks.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jud_T

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2014, 01:33:47 PM »
A topspin mashie!  great for wind play!   8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

David_Tepper

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2014, 01:38:56 PM »
Michael Hendren -

Well, the "C" groove pattern on the Yes putters was not such a new idea after all!

DT

Matt MacIver

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2015, 05:57:27 PM »
Spring is in the air which got me thinking, annually again, about acquiring hickories. So I both brought this thread to the top and ordered a set from Mike at Louisville Golf. Can't wait to get to know them over the next 40 yrs.

Brian Finn

« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2015, 06:18:44 PM »
Spring is in the air which got me thinking, annually again, about acquiring hickories. So I both brought this thread to the top and ordered a set from Mike at Louisville Golf. Can't wait to get to know them over the next 40 yrs.

Having done similarly about a year and a half ago, I can assure you will have tons of fun. We should organize some sort of GCA hickory meetup. Where are you located, Matt?
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Jay Mickle

« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2015, 06:44:27 PM »
Enjoy your hickory clubs. Since taking up hickories 5+ years ago I have enjoyed golf and especially the old courses from a new perspective. My original clubs are in no way a matched set but through the years I have assembled a very playable set. What I so much enjoy is the hitting more creative shots with clubs that have different playing characteristics.
While many I know take their reproductions for air travel, for fear of losing a loved vintage set, I plan on taking my originals for my 16 day Ireland tour in May. Playing the old courses with old clubs should be a blast.
If you are ever in the NC Sandhills get in touch, we have hickory matches about every 2 weeks.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Matt MacIver

« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2015, 07:40:56 PM »
Brian and Jay - thanks for the well wishes and inspiration. I live in Charlotte so give me some time to get them (me) broken in and maybe I'll venture out with them in the wild.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back