News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will Lozier

Re: Hovercraft carts in Springfield, Ohio????
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 08:30:35 PM »
Josh,

My mother lives on Windy Knoll in a house my father built a few years before he passed.  He actually did 5 or 6 routings for the course before they hired an archirect proper to build it - he was a contractor and very good player and the original owner a close friend who lost the course 2 years ago.  I was pretty shocked to hear of this "stunt" being tried here when I found out a month or so ago. It is a fun course with some clever architecture - drivable par 4's, wide variety of one and three- shotters, and some fun greensites.  It is also a great bargain (sans hovercraft) and very walkable and I still play it a few times every time I go home.  I am really curious as to how long this will last...even though it looked like great fun on Bubba's video.  I will let you know when I head back north for a few days in October.

By the way, my favorite everyday course in the world borders this track.  Springfield CC, an old Ross that is a US Open Final Qualifying site for I think 5 years running, has yearly dues approximately equivalent to 6 hovercraft rounds with, I believe, no initiation fee!

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:32:13 PM by Will Lozier »

BHoover

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 08:54:28 PM »
I have no interest in taking a hovercraft around a course for a round of golf. But maybe it solves the problem of cart path only on wet days?

I would, however, really like to get out to play Springfield CC at some point.  It's been on my to-do list for a couple years, but I still haven't made the 40 minute drive out to Springfield from Columbus.

Will Lozier

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 09:34:48 PM »
I have no interest in taking a hovercraft around a course for a round of golf. But maybe it solves the problem of cart path only on wet days?

I would, however, really like to get out to play Springfield CC at some point.  It's been on my to-do list for a couple years, but I still haven't made the 40 minute drive out to Springfield from Columbus.

Brian,

We talked about a CCC / SCC weekend when we can time it!  I will be up there for my mom's 70th in 5 weeks.  Will you be in town?

Cheers

BHoover

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 09:41:40 PM »

Brian,

We talked about a CCC / SCC weekend when we can time it!  I will be up there for my mom's 70th in 5 weeks.  Will you be in town?

Cheers

Will, I had forgotten about this, but I'm definitely interested. I'm now a member at Brookside in Worthington, but I have several friends at CCC who would be happy to host. I'd definitely like to get out to SCC. I'll be in town all of October.

Brian Finn

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 09:46:26 PM »
Springfield CC is a real treat. I played it twice last year, and found it tremendously fun. The recent restoration work is excellent.  It was done by Forse Design, who also worked on Kirtland, Congress Lake, and others.  Among other things, they managed to reclaim original greens, squaring off corners that had crept in over the years, creating some really neat, if devilish pin positions.  The property has some nice elevation change and rolling hills that Ross seems to always make excellent use of.  Anyone within an hour or two would do well to check out Springfield CC.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:50:41 PM by Brian Finn »
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Jason Connor

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 09:56:18 PM »
Uh-oh.

This seems to make Island greens all the more likely.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Brian Finn

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 09:59:02 PM »
PS...Windy Knoll is a fun golf course as well. It won't knock your socks off, but it is pretty good for $35 or so.  

The course I really want to see out that way is Urbana CC.  As many of you know, Pete Dye's father built the first 9, and I am told it is really good.  
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Will Lozier

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 10:03:53 PM »
Brian H.,

My best friend who is a member at SCC LOVES Brookside - Ross?.  I played it with him a few years ago and found it to be very good with some wonderful long par 4's and a couple great 5's.  Would really like to see it again and am curious how it played during the Am last year.  I still put SCC a tier above...would love to get you out.

Brian F.

Yes, the work done to reclaim original green sizes turned out very well...although I still lament the loss of the original 4th, 8th & 18th but think the new versions have interest especially the 8th as an all-world skyline.  The 3rd, 10th-13th are phenomenal greens and most others are excellent and for the most part varied.  Having life guarded there through HS, I count myself lucky to have played probably 50 rounds at SCC and I always get giddy about my next crack at her!

Cheers fellas...to maybe getting out to play next month!

Will Lozier

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 10:08:32 PM »
PS...Windy Knoll is a fun golf course as well. It won't knock your socks off, but it is pretty good for $35 or so.  

The course I really want to see out that way is Urbana CC.  As many of you know, Pete Dye's father built the first 9, and I am told it is really good.  

I've still not played UCC but have seen it and the original 9 is a CRAZY parcel...I could arrange but it is tough to choose it over Springfield. Although, 18 at UCC, lunch at Crabill's Hamburger Shop, and 18 at SCC would be a great day!

BHoover

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 10:09:48 PM »
Will, both Brian Finn and I are members at Brookside in Worthington. It's not a Ross course, but the club likes to call itself "Ross-like". The course was designed by Charlie Lorms, who was the first pro at CCC. Mr. Lorms apparently took what he learned from Ross' work at CCC and designed Brookside. It's a fun course and a great club. We have at least 5-6 GCAers as members, including our greens committee chairman. I'd be happy to have you out to play it this fall.

Brian Finn

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 10:22:10 PM »

I've still not played UCC but have seen it and the original 9 is a CRAZY parcel...I could arrange but it is tough to choose it over Springfield. Although, 18 at UCC, lunch at Crabill's Hamburger Shop, and 18 at SCC would be a great day!

You had me at hamburger shop. 

But seriously, would be glad to join you guys on any/all of these courses, or wherever else you would like to play. There is no shortage of good golf nearby, and it is always great to meet more gca'ers.

noonan

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 12:26:35 AM »
Urbana > Springfield > Windy Knoll

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back