News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Strippers and caddies may have a lot in common,
« on: September 11, 2013, 01:48:10 PM »
Both may now be deemed to be employees and not independent contractors.

This would have far reaching consequences and might  spell the end of caddies if expanded and upheld.

A federal Judge has made a ruling in favor of a class action suit on behalf of strippers at Rick's, in NYC,

I'd prefer strippers as caddies, but I might be in the minority

Jim Franklin

Re: Strippers and caddies may have a lot in common,
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 01:52:11 PM »
Both may now be deemed to be employees and not independent contractors.

This would have far reaching consequences and might  spell the end of caddies if expanded and upheld.

A federal Judge has made a ruling in favor of a class action suit on behalf of strippers at Rick's, in NYC,

I will be in the minority with you.
Mr Hurricane

Jordan Wall

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »
This is terrible news.

Why?

JESII

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 02:03:55 PM »
Pat,

How does this connect over to caddies? What was the basis of the decision? Was it around identifying hours required to work?

By the way, I'll join you and Franklin in the minority!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 02:04:41 PM »
When you say both "may" be deemed employees and not independent contractors, do you mean the status is optional up to the employer?   Or are they not allowed to be independent contractors?

This is a big issue, as the IRS rigorously attacks the independent contractor status and has brought severe grief to many employers by collecting back payroll taxes never paid for independent contractors later found to be employees.  There are a bunch of tests including the wearing of company clothing.  (I assume this was not a problem with the strippers!)

So what was the ruling?   What did "may" mean?

If it made caddies employees rather than independent contractors, I can see how that would be a big problem for clubs.  
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 03:27:17 PM by Bill_McBride »

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Howard Riefs

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 02:59:44 PM »

You're in luck. Safe travels to Vegas.  

http://www.vipgolfservices.com/las_vegas/caddymates/caddies.asp
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 03:41:54 PM »
Pat,

How does this connect over to caddies?

If caddies are deemed employees they maybe be subject to PPACA, which wouldbe costly to the clubs, so much so that they might dispense with their services.

It also presents another path by which to attack private clubs

What was the basis of the decision?
Was it around identifying hours required to work?

You can read the details in various publications

By the way, I'll join you and Franklin in the minority!

JESII

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 04:13:55 PM »
Pat,

How many caddies work 30 hours/ week? How many of them do so for more than 4 months per year? How many of them are willing to have their pay taxed fully in exchange for health insurance when they can simply buy it through the state or federal government?

JMEvensky

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 04:26:13 PM »

Pat,

How many caddies work 30 hours/ week? How many of them do so for more than 4 months per year? How many of them are willing to have their pay taxed fully in exchange for health insurance when they can simply buy it through the state or federal government?

It almost doesn't matter. If you're a club with a caddie program which is less than critical to the membership,this is just one more argument against having a caddie program. This just makes it easier to say "screw it,it's not worth the potential problems".

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 04:33:54 PM »
Many clubs - including Augusta National - already use outside vendors to handle all of their caddies (including recruiting, training, managing, etc.).  I doubt if any strippers were working through external vendors to obtain their employment.  So the practice of using external vendors to handle a club's caddies may set them apart from the circumstances pertaining to this court case.

Having a person work almost exclusively, on a regualr basis at a single work place, and have to perform their job duties per the work place's requirements is a big stretch from the traditional definition of a "contractor".  However, there are some parameters where these types of workers can still meet the legal definition of a contractor.  This particular case is probably not so much of a threat to the system of caddie programs, as much as it indicates that these places of business did not adequately meet the definition of a contrator per these workers.

Nevertheless, trying to meet the standards of a caddie remaining as a contractor can possibly get too complicated than is worth the effort at some clubs.  Perhaps in addition to having some companies outsource caddies to golf clubs & resorts, an alternative business could be created offering consulting services to clubs and resorts in what they must do to meet the requirements of their caddies being defined as contractors.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

John McCarthy

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 04:34:02 PM »
Caddies are independent contractors directly by federal law.  I'll get the cite.

On edit:  I'm wrong.  The IRS treats them generally as independent contracters butthe proposed lelegislation died in committee.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:43:54 PM by John McCarthy »
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Jim Nugent

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 04:44:12 PM »
Strippers and caddies may have a lot in common...

... because they get lots of business from GCAers?

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 04:58:24 PM »
Caddies are independent contractors directly by federal law.  I'll get the cite.

On edit:  I'm wrong.  The IRS treats them generally as independent contracters butthe proposed lelegislation died in committee.

John:

You might be referring to when former caddie, Rep Dan Burton when he was Chairman of House Ways & Means Comm., passed legislation that requires the IRS to classify caddies as contractors.  Howerever, since then I know of one instance in Calif that resulted in a caddie being classified as an employee and thus qualifying for Workman's Comp.  I only know the very basics of these two matters and have nothing more of any substance per the details.

I agree that overall the status of caddies as contractors has survived when previously tested.  My own opinion is that the threat to caddies losing their independent contractor status is currently very minimal, but should not be completely ignored.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 05:15:25 PM »
Go on then, Paddy-lad,
Please explain to me in lovely green italics the architectural relevance of this thread.
Yours expectantly
M.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 05:17:24 PM »
Shit,
And I promised myself I'd never post on another of your threads. I am a stupid.
M.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 07:06:36 PM »
It's no wonder the USA have issues if the government and their departments are worried about strippers and caddies.

Withdrawn, never post après cocktails.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 12:31:41 AM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

David Bartman

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 07:35:24 PM »
The IRS looks at some Common Law Rules to determine if a individual is an employee or independent contractor.  Either party can file a form, the number slips my mind, to get a ruling on the status , takes about 6 months.  

Facts that provide evidence of the degree of control and independence fall into three categories:

Behavioral: Does the company control or have the right to control what the worker does and how the worker does his or her job?

Financial: How is the individual paid?  Who provides tools or uniforms etc?  

Type of Relationship: Are there written contracts or employee type benefits (i.e. pension plan, insurance, vacation pay, etc.)? is there a set time frame for the work, is it ongoing?  Is the work integral to the business as a whole?  

Businesses must weigh all these factors when determining whether a worker is an employee or independent contractor. Some factors may indicate that the worker is an employee, while other factors indicate that the worker is an independent contractor. There is no “magic” or set number of factors that “makes” the worker an employee or an independent contractor, and no one factor stands alone in making this determination. Also, factors which are relevant in one situation may not be relevant in another.

The keys are to look at the entire relationship, consider the degree or extent of the right to direct and control, and finally, to document each of the factors used in coming up with the determination or submit findings to the IRS for a ruling ... SS-8 ( it came to me )
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Tim Martin

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 07:40:45 PM »
It's no wonder the USA have issues if the government and their departments are worried about strippers and caddies. Surely you must have somowhere to bomb the lights out of?

Really? ::)

David_Elvins

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 08:15:48 PM »

Please explain to me in lovely green italics the architectural relevance of this thread.

Please don't give him a chance to post about artificial mounding, short grass as a hazard, strippers that reveal more of themselves after multiple plays, multiple pin positions etc etc etc.  
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 08:18:03 PM »
marty

the quote is, what a stupid i am
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

jeffwarne

Re: Strippers and caddies may have a lot in common, New
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 08:34:28 PM »
Cheers Mark ;) ;D

although I frankly think we should focus more on the strippers ;D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 07:49:26 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 09:33:38 PM »
I'll try and give it an architectural context.
All those guys who worked under and learned from Pete Dye were independent contractors.
The "boys" from C & C are independent contractors.
The only architect I know who actually employs his talented shapers is Tom Doak.
As far as I know, most architects who like to say they use "their" guys, actually hire independent contractors.

Now, does that change anything, I have no idea.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:39:27 PM by Don_Mahaffey »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 09:57:36 PM »
Pat,

How many caddies work 30 hours/ week?

With double loops and 6 days a week, plenty.

How many of them do so for more than 4 months per year?

Doesn't matter, once you hit a 30 hour threshold, you're a full time employee

How many of them are willing to have their pay taxed fully in exchange for health insurance when they can simply buy it through the state or federal government?

You don't understand, once they're classified as employees, they won't have a choice

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 10:15:42 PM »
Go on then, Paddy-lad,
Yours expectantly
M.

Look up the words, "related matters"

In the meantime, why have you failed to answer the question I asked you about identifying the "clunky", "artificial and even jarring" features at NGLA ?

You've had plenty of time to respond.
Please identify what you saw and categorized as "clunky", "artificial and even jarring" features.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back