News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don Hyslop

Cabot Links will be the star in a match between two of the top professionals in the world, Graeme McDowell and Graham DeLeat, on Sept. 23rd. The match will be televised in Canada, the network has not been identified as yet. This announcement has brought back memories for me of Shell's Wonderful World of Golf event at Highland Links in the early 60s and the match between Al Balding and George Knudson.
http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/graeme-mcdowell-graham-delaet-tee-191100007.html
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 01:58:17 PM by Don Hyslop »
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Bill_McBride

Re: McDowell and DeLeat to Play Exhibition Televised Match at Cabot Links
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 10:47:54 AM »
Hopefully this will be available in the US as well.   I've decided Cabot Links is the best true links course Ive played in North America.  

I know you'll say, what?   I found the turf and playing characteristics to be closer in feel to the great links of the UK than the courses at Bandon.  Mike Whitaker and I decided that the feeling overall was similar to Royal Porthcawl, with the sea in view on every hole.  

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 12:32:42 PM »
Cabot Links will be the star in a match between two of the top professionals in the world, Graham McDowell and Graham DeLeat, on Sept. 23rd.

What is at stake?  Grudge match to determine who's the best golfer named Graham?  Can Graham Marsh get in, too?

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 01:44:44 PM »
Except that it is Graeme (not Graham) Mcdowell! ;)

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 02:01:04 PM »
And it's Graham DeLaet, not Graham DeLeat (or Graham DeBackspace, as some would put it)

Chris Mavros

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 04:36:01 PM »
Thanks for posting.  I will be on the look out for this on television.  I'm trying to decide between a Cabot or Bandon trip next year (location and number of days weigh heavily in the equation), so would like to have a little camera time with the course.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 06:21:19 PM »
Does anyone know what channel this will be on?  That evening Rogers Sportsnet has a Jays game and TSN has MNF.  TSN2 has TBA so maybe it will be shown there.

Shane Wright

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 06:45:21 PM »
I saw this on Twitter yesterday.  Great news for Cabot Links as well as publicity for the area.  Hopefully there is a way to pick up the coverage in the U.S.

The area very much reminds me of coastal towns you find in Ireland.  The few local folks I was able to talk to seem to have a lot of pride in Inverness and the surrounding area.  

I live in the Midwest, USA.   Given 10 trips to Cabot Links (even with only one course) or Bandon Dunes, I think I'm 5/5.  Cabot Links' firmness was the most pleasant surprise of the trip.  It has the Irish village setting with Scotland course playing characteristics.  

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 06:52:57 PM »
I saw this on Twitter yesterday.  Great news for Cabot Links as well as publicity for the area.  Hopefully there is a way to pick up the coverage in the U.S.

The area very much reminds me of coastal towns you find in Ireland.  The few local folks I was able to talk to seem to have a lot of pride in Inverness and the surrounding area.  

I live in the Midwest, USA.   Given 10 trips to Cabot Links (even with only one course) or Bandon Dunes, I think I'm 5/5.  Cabot Links' firmness was the most pleasant surprise of the trip.  It has the Irish village setting with Scotland course playing characteristics.  

What did you think of the clubhouse and lodging buildings?

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 06:02:49 AM »
We are very excited, television details to follow, with a GCA connection.

Bill,
Isn't this a "golf course" architecture site? :) You may (Michael certainly will  ;) ) be surprised to learn the Lodge just won the award for best architecture for a new hotel in Canada. Here is the link: http://enroute.aircanada.com/en/articles/the-air-canada-enroute-hotel-design-awards/page:3

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 07:20:38 AM »

I thought they were fantastic, comfortable, and well located, and particularly liked the proximity of the 18th green to the 19th hole and veranda
Sean Arble would be pleased ;) ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Buzminski

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 07:31:25 AM »
Well, we do know that our Graham can 'out-beard' McDowell, at least!

Shane Wright

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 09:50:33 AM »

Ben and team took a risk with them, and I think they pulled it off really well.  The proximity to the 1st tee box and seafood chowder are fantastic.  :)  The only change I would have considered is making the putting green larger.  

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 12:09:55 PM »

Ben and team took a risk with them, and I think they pulled it off really well.  The proximity to the 1st tee box and seafood chowder are fantastic.  :)  The only change I would have considered is making the putting green larger.  

Agree all the way.  I'm not sure what they plan to do with the area you pass on the way to the starter, maybe a larger putting green. 

RJ_Daley

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 12:18:46 PM »
If we can't get the program replayed or presented in the US market, perhaps Ben could get some DVD copies made for sale to we GCA.com freaks who would love to see this match on that links.  ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back