News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall Hay

Columbus: America's Golf Capital
« on: September 10, 2013, 07:51:02 PM »
At least for this year, you could make a case that Columbus is the Golf Capital of the U.S.

Jack Nicklaus oversaw the restoration at OSU Scarlet, which hosts a Web.com event this week. And his Muirfield Village will host the Presidents Cup in October
Over the course of this year, Central Ohio will have hosted three important golf events. The first was the PGA Tour’s Memorial Tournament at Muirfield Village Golf Club back in June. Next up is the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship this weekend at Ohio State’s Scarlet Course. Finally, 24 of the world’s top golfers will descend on Muirfield Village for the President’s Cup in early October. That event pits a team of American pros against an international squad with players from every continent except Europe.
This week, Marc Lucas, general manager of the OSU Golf Club, and his staff are busy with preparations for the Nationwide event. That event is technically part of the Web.com Tour, although it is a playoff event with ramifications for PGA Tour qualifying in 2014. The playoffs featured the top 75 players on the Web.com Tour as well as players ranked 126th to 200th on the PGA Tour as they compete for PGA cards for 2014.
“To have all of those events here in central Ohio is great,” Lucas said. “I don’t know if any other city has done that in a single year before. It’s nice to put that feather in our camp with being in Columbus.”
This is the seventh year Scarlet has hosted the Nationwide event. This is the first of a three-year deal to play the event at Scarlet.
“In the community, I think this event has been pretty well received,” Lucas said. “We are one of the busiest in terms of attendance that the Web.com Tour sees each year. The players like it because it is a really good test of championship golf. It sets up harder than most courses on that tour.
“We try to promote golf to future recruits. It’s televised on the Golf Channel, so it presents itself as a true test of golf. For some of these future players who want to get on to the PGA Tour, they see that playing at Ohio State is important to prepare themselves for a chance to play at the next level.”
The prized Scarlet Course was opened in 1938. It was designed by Alister Mackenzie, who also designed Augusta National Golf Club. The course was restored and updated in 2006 by Jack Nicklaus and his design group. The restoration lengthened the Scarlet Course to over 7,400 yards for tournament play.
Scarlet hosted the Women’s NCAA Championship in 2006 and the Men’s Championship this past spring.
“We should be close to bidding for another men’s NCAA championship,” Lucas said.
The Nationwide event will include a number of pros who have distinguished themselves in their careers, including Trevor Immelman, Ricky Barnes, Ben Curtis and many others.
“We have seen sponsorships ramp up for this event,” Lucas said. “They added Worthington Industries as a major sponsor this year. The media coverage has more than doubled. The group of players here is more recognized than what you typically see at a Web.com event.”
Lucas said the easiest part of preparing for the event is working on the golf course. OSU has partnered with HNS Sports, which also collaborates with Muirfield on the Memorial and will also work on the Presidents Cup, to get all provisions in place.
“We feel like we don’t have to do too much to prepare the golf course,” he said. “We have collegiate events in the spring, we have club events and then we have junior events in the summer. We try and keep it tournament-ready year around.
“The part where you have to erect the stands, the scoreboards and the tents, that usually takes about a month. That’s a pretty good undertaking.”
In terms of the OSU Golf Club, it is available for students, faculty and staff and alumni.
“All students have the ability to play,” Lucas said. “All they have to do is bring out their Buck ID and we have student rates that are heavily discounted. Any alumni can come out and play. Bring your alumni card and you can play. We also have memberships available. We are kind of a hybrid. We have memberships and a daily fee.
“The members have access to the daily tee sheet seven days in advance. Then the students, faculty and staff and alumni have that access four days in advance. If you have an affiliation with Ohio State, you can certainly come out and play.”
Weekly badges for the Nationwide event ($30) through Sunday are available by clicking here.
President’s Cup Next Up
The PGA Tour’s Fed Ex Cup playoff format will wind down in the next two weeks with the BMW Championship outside Chicago this week and the Tour Championship next weekend in Atlanta.
The Presidents Cup will then be held Oct. 3-6 at Muirfield Village Golf Club. This international event is patterned after the Ryder Cup. The Ryder Cup pits an American team against pros from Europe. The Presidents Cup sends the U.S. team against top pros from every continent except Europe. Former PGA Tour stars Fred Couples and Nick Price are serving as the respective team captains this year.
Muirfield Village will become the first course to host the Ryder Cup, Solheim Cup (an international women’s event) and the Presidents Cup.
Of course, it was the former Ohio State star and PGA legend Nicklaus who built Muirfield Village back in 1976. This year, Muirfield unveiled a new clubhouse just in time for the Memorial.
“It’s a big year here for us,” Nicklaus said. “We had the Memorial, we’ll have the Presidents Cup and then with the new clubhouse as well. We started with a tiny project and it turned into a huge project.”
When Muirfield was awarded the Presidents Cup several years ago, Nicklaus asked then-OSU president Gordon Gee if he could see if OSU would be scheduled for a night game that weekend. And, even though one schedule was done and ripped up when Nebraska joined the league in 2011, Ohio State will be playing a road night game at Northwestern on Oct. 5.
The Presidents Cup will be televised by the Golf Channel and NBC Sports.
Players accumulate points over a two-year period to qualify for the Presidents Cup. The 10 American automatic qualifiers were Tiger Woods, Brandt Snedeker, Phil Mickelson, Matt Kuchar, Jason Dufner, Keegan Bradley, Steve Stricker, Bill Haas, Hunter Mahan and Zach Johnson. Couples then used his two captains’ picks to select Webb Simpson and 20-year-old Jordan Spieth to round out the U.S. squad.
The European qualifiers included Adam Scott, Jason Day, Charl Schwartzel, Ernie Els, Louis Oosthuizen, Hideki Matsuyama, Branden Grace, Graham DeLaet, Richard Sterne and Angel Cabrera. Price’s captains’ picks were Brendon de Jonge and Marc Leishman.
Fans attending the Memorial in the past are in for a treat. Stands have been erected near the greens on several of the back-nine holes to bring fans closer to the action. Party tents have also been erected on many of those holes as well. With the international flavor of this event, it should be quite a spectacle.
“We figure the 15, 16, 17 area is where most of the matches will be decided,” Nicklaus said. “We wanted to be able to get more people out there to see what’s going on out there.”
The American squad has won seven of the nine previous Presidents Cup events since its inception in 1996. The U.S. has never lost the Cup on American soil. It was announced recently that the 2015 Presidents Cup will be played at Jack Nicklaus Golf Club Korea in Incheon, South Korea.
All-tournament badges are available for $210. Click here for ticket information on the Presidents Cup.

http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Article/Columbus-Americas-Golf-Capital-148833

BHoover

Re: Columbus: America's Golf Capital
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 08:11:31 PM »
I'll be out at Scarlet on Friday watching the golf. I used to play Scarlet a lot when I was in law school. Admittedly, I preferred Scarlet pre-Nicklaus renovation. But it is a good tournament course and this year's event should be better than ever!

Niall Hay

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 08:28:22 PM »
I'll be out at Scarlet on Friday watching the golf. I used to play Scarlet a lot when I was in law school. Admittedly, I preferred Scarlet pre-Nicklaus renovation. But it is a good tournament course and this year's event should be better than ever!

Scarlet is a great and difficult golf course. Good tournament and championship venue. There are new indoor facilities there now I hear.

BHoover

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 08:30:14 PM »

Scarlet is a great and difficult golf course. Good tournament and championship venue. There are new indoor facilities there now I hear.

Scarlet is not what I would call a "fun" golf course, but it's definitely a good tournament golf course and a tremendous asset for the OSU golf program.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 08:44:09 PM »
Happy for Columbus, but it's hard to get fired up for the P Cup, especially when played at a Tour stop.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 09:06:24 PM »
 8) Columbus will always be the cow town in ohio, more known for The Ohio State Fair and The OSU sports empire than golf.. and perhaps food in German Village..

nice that there's some golf there finally..

frankly,
an ex-Ohio Yankee

p.s. not everyone is in love with Jack there..
p.s.s.  at least one can get Skyline there...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Niall Hay

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 11:18:53 PM »
8) Columbus will always be the cow town in ohio, more known for The Ohio State Fair and The OSU sports empire than golf.. and perhaps food in German Village..

frankly,
an ex-Ohio Yankee

In addition to Scarlet, The Golf Club, Scioto, Muirfield Village and Double Eagle are pretty hard to beat in one city area.  Anywhere.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 11:45:59 PM »
I enjoyed the Scarlet course. It was hard though. As a Hoosier through and through, I really like Columbus a lot.

Niall Hay

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 09:23:21 AM »
I enjoyed the Scarlet course. It was hard though. As a Hoosier through and through, I really like Columbus a lot.

Columbus is a great city…golf or otherwise. Go Bucks!

Chris Mavros

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 04:12:28 PM »
Columbus no doubt has a very impressive collection of courses and Nicklaus has done a lot to attract national and international attention to the area.  But it still has a ways to go before it's considered the golf capital, even while hosting the PC.  

Doug Ralston

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 09:44:23 PM »

frankly,
an ex-Ohio Yankee

"Hold still stomach .... don't turn over now"

Two of the worst things ever to come out of Ohio. OSU football, and that putrid mess called laughingly 'Cincinnati Chili'. Not only does that spew taste like last night's dinner returned, but the word 'chili' is Spanish for peppers, of which there is NONE in Skyline or other 'Cincinnati Chili'. Yuck!

Doug from Cincinnati

PS: This thread shows much about 'who' is involved here. I think I can safely assert that most golfers in Columbus and others who visit will never play most of the courses you glorify here. They MAY play Longaberger, and a few lesser publics. Talk about your 'inside info'. For us, Indianapolis FAR exceed Columbus.
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Steve Lang

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 10:31:01 PM »
who cares about chills, Skyline is an acquired taste at 2-3 am initiations .. it has cinnamon and chocolate in it!

kinda like public golf in columbus vs private
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 10:57:50 PM »
At least for this year, you could make a case that Columbus is the Golf Capital of the U.S.

No, you can't.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

JLahrman

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 12:26:12 AM »
Skyline rocks. I'm now a vegetarian and have had my last 4-way onion, but I grew up a carnivore in Cincinnati and had enough Skyline for two lifetimes. However, like Graeter's, LaRosa's, and goetta, Skyline should not be discussed on a thread about Columbus. Love it or hate it, it's a Cincinnati product.

Apart from his blasphemous statements about Skyline, I agree with Mr. Ralston's post.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 08:27:05 AM »
IMO, anywhere that you cannot play golf year round cannot be the golf capitol of America. I used to live in Columbus and I do not miss it at all. And in regards to Skyline, there is nothing better than leaving the bar at 2 am and going to Skyline Chili.

Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Niall Hay

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 04:51:47 PM »
IMO, anywhere that you cannot play golf year round cannot be the golf capitol of America. I used to live in Columbus and I do not miss it at all. And in regards to Skyline, there is nothing better than leaving the bar at 2 am and going to Skyline Chili.

How did this become a chili discussion?

ward peyronnin

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 05:16:06 PM »
A nice lineup but jingoistic. Tournament Golf is no measure

Long Island is more worthy they don't care to host many tournaments. Westchester County the same. Philadelphia trumps Columbus anyday
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back