News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

Piping Rock: A Plea for a More Worthy Course Review
« on: September 13, 2013, 10:18:10 AM »
After enjoying a splendid Walker Cup I had the good fortune to play Piping Rock. This is another great expression of the Macdonald/Raynor approach to laying a golf course on the land with their stamp very evident. There are many fine holes; no poor ones and a pleasant variety of features and terrain and a wonderful flowing routing.

Great Redan, Knole, and Road holes to name a few and a routing that allows one to see at one point 13 holes from a single vantage point!

The practice range is marvelous as it is situated adjacent to the clubhouse and first tee and affords a view of THE ENTIRE OUTWARD LOOP! What a way to commence a round.

It is with disappointment that I read the GCA course review as it may be one of the briefest in the portfolio.

So Ran I respectfully request that you make it a point to revisit Piping Rock and post one of your marvelous review/pictorials that is worthy of this old gem
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Mark Saltzman

Re: Piping Rock: A Plea for a More Worthy Course Review
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 10:20:32 AM »
Ward, here is a link to a photo tour of Piping Rock I did last year.  I posted the same review on GCA, but can't seem to find it (thanks search function!)

http://onegolferstravels.blogspot.ca/2012/11/piping-rock-club-locust-valley-ny.html

Edit: here it is... http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,53914.0.html

Mark McKeever

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 10:21:28 AM »
I was just about to mention Saltzys write up.  Some really good looking stuff!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

ward peyronnin

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
Thanks guys. Those are great links but as we all know the search engine can be dicey. I always go to the course reviews first. Maybe Ran felt that there wasn't a need to get into many individual holes as most of us all know what the template holes hold in store?
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 11:03:41 PM »
The practice range at Piping  Rock is the old Polo field.

The golf course is an original C. B. MacDonald  with many of his template holes. One of Long Island's finest.

Malcolm

Chris Munoz

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 10:39:52 AM »
There were some rumors I heard that Piping Rock is looking for a new superitendent.  Is that true.  I know that Richard Spears has been there for a while and has done a great job and has trained a coulpe of talented superintendents that are now working at some grreat courses. 

Christian C. Munoz
Assistant Superintendent Corales
PUNTACANA Resort & Club
www.puntacana.com

ward peyronnin

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 05:11:19 PM »
I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Spears and discussing the Biarritz, his surmise that the second and sixth greens may have originally been planned as a double green, green speeds and others.

Our caddie that afternoon stated that this was his last year after being there many(30) years and that he had never lost a green

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back