News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Goldman

Annual post on Olympia Fields Fighting Illini invitational
« on: September 11, 2013, 11:34:44 PM »
If you're not thrilled with the idea of watching the golf from Conway Farms, the fighting illini invitational is this Friday-Sunday on the North Course at Olympia Fields. Pretty good field this year, with about half the Walker Cup teams playing, including the us amateur champ Fitzpatrick who is at northwestern, western am medalist Patrick Rodgers from Stanford, Western am champ Jordan Niebrugge, etc etc, and 5 of the top 10 in the teams according to Golfweek's preseason ranking, including Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, host Illinois, etc.  Great excuse for a big cookout, which we will be having, and everyone is welcome.  Play starts in the early am and goes till mid-afternoon.
That was one hellacious beaver.

Tom_Doak

Re: Annual post on Olympia Fields Fighting Illini invitational
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 02:01:25 AM »
The Stanford team was out at Chicago Golf Club this afternoon.  One of them told me he thought he was the only college golfer with a copy of The Confidential Guide.  Surely not?

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 04:32:29 AM »
The Stanford team was out at Chicago Golf Club this afternoon.  One of them told me he thought he was the only college golfer with a copy of The Confidential Guide.  Surely not?

I wouldn't be surprised.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Mark McKeever

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:14:34 AM »
No way.  John Lyon must have had one while he was at Colgate.  And my buddy from Fordham has one too.

Back on topic, OFCC holds up really well against these guys and its fun to watch.  I caught a bit of it a couple years back, then hung around with Jeff afterwards.  A great afternoon!

Mark
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:16:07 AM by Mark McKeever »
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Andrew Buck

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 09:45:14 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Jeff.

As long as the event is still going on, I will definitely be making it out there in a couple years when my oldest is a few years older.

I highly recommend spending some time on the range prior to the event, while the exact discipline in warm up may not be quite where it is at the tour, the ability to see so many talented players launch shots in one place is a treat.  

I-L-L
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 10:32:17 AM by Andrew Buck »

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 09:49:13 AM »
Actually, how the course "holds up" is almost completely dependent on the weather. We don't do anything to prepare the course except not cut the rough for a few days and roll the greens (the course is open to be membership in the afternoon during the tournament). So if its dry and windy and the greens are firm if can play difficult, even with burned out rough, but if its wet and soft it plays easier, even with rough. Funny thing--last year the tourney was on the South Course because we were making a bundle hosting groups on North, and Patrick Rodgers was individual medalist by like 5 shots at -3 for 3 rounds. The year before he won on North by like 6 shots at -4. Go figure.

Regardless, the kids are fantastic to watch. Walking down the fairway with Rickie Fowler and his dad was a blast. Same with Peter Uihlein's dad. Or any of them.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:51:31 AM by Jeff Goldman »

Andrew Buck

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
Jeff,

Is there are reason why they don't utilize both courses on alternate days?   I'm sure I'm missing something obvious from a logistics perspective, but with two good tests, I would think there would be value to both the membership and the tournament to play one round on the South and have the North open to members.

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 11:47:18 AM »
Andrew,

The reason for not using both courses is that it would be hard for he teams to get in practice on both. Usually, they show up a day or two before and have one practice day. Also, as much as I love the South, I don't think there is any question that the North is the championship course.  We were all pretty shocked at the scoring on South given that the back is pretty short and has a bunch of birdie holes (I thought they would score the way they scored at he Alotian club during the western am). Course, those greens on south have some slope in them, and there was some cross wind on holes like 6 which led to some big scores. Kids were hitting sand or lob wedge approach shots that ended up in the Kitchen. No good.

Also, as I said, the North is open to the members around 1:30 each day after the play ends. Pretty fun to putt off all the greens with Sam rolling them.  ;D

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 12:28:38 PM »
Between the course, the friendly hosts and the field, this is one tremendously impressive tournament. As Jeff said, you can walk the fairways with the players, like the really old days on the pro circuit.

Now, where's my helicopter so I can get from Olympia Fields to Conway Farms and back?
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Andrew Buck

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 02:18:53 PM »
Jeff,

That makes sense with the practice rounds.  I guess back in my day I remember a lot of 54 hole tournaments over 2 venue's where we only had a practice round on one.

Just curious, was the winning team score also similar in the 2 years?  I've always felt that pars and birdies come easier on the south, but so do double bogeys.

Also, your club deserves kudos for hosting a college event like this.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back