News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Byron

Walkable course in Bethlehem PA
« on: September 15, 2013, 10:12:34 AM »
I played a very well run public course in Lehigh Valley Pennsylvania this weekend called Green Pond CC, as a friend of mine wanted to do a practice round there for an upcoming amateur tournament.  So we drove an hour and a half from NYC.
The track and layout are designed to pleasantly favor reasonably quick play – next tees adjacent to previous greens, second cut rough does not hide the golf ball, the longer par fours are “second shot” holes etc.  And the maintenance team does a great job to support that.  
Quite impressively, the greens supervisor has maintained 18 greens with all smooth and healthy bent grass, and as such the greens play very well. Many courses in the Northeast would be envious of the grass quality of the greens.  Similarly, the bunkers are quite good, and the tees are all in fine shape.  It is a parkland course, so for me there are way too many trees, but that is always the case in the US.  The driving range is also fun because there are grass tees, which is unusual for public golf.  And the staff is friendly and knowledgeable.
The most important point I can make however is that the course is as walkable as any parkland course on planet earth which is heavenly especially in a nice time of year such as now.  And that is the disappointment unfortunately – my threesome was the ONLY walking match while we were there!  The rest – young, old, boys and girls - were all riding around a fundamentally walking golf course in obnoxious motorized carts – a real shame, and I doubt they know what they are missing in terms of enjoyment of the game of golf.  It is fascinating and annoying that US club golf imitates the PGA tour habits in some respects e.g. slow play, stroke play etc., but it never occurs to these golfers to walk a round of 18 and get to appreciate the game, the course and your partners.
Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

Joe Bausch

Re: Walkable course in Bethlehem PA New
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 10:52:53 AM »
I can echo your experience at Green Pond.  I played there a couple of years ago.  Fellow GCAer Jim Sherma grew up on the course and I'm sure will chime in.

Here is my photo album of Green Pond:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/GreenPond/index.html
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 02:21:35 AM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jim Sherma

Re: Walkable course in Bethlehem PA
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 10:01:51 PM »
The Pond is a great place and is kept in very nice shape with a justified reputation for the greens. The Lehigh Valley Amatuer is a wonderfully run tournament that dates back to the 30's. the head Pro, John Kulhamer, is one of the best old school pros who really sets the tone for a very players-centric atmosphere.

As far as the course goes, it is one of Alex Findlays last courses and is a nice old school parkland. The greens have reasonable interest and there are definite strategic choices to be made at times. Like other Findlay courses I find that the Pond is very much of a good miss-bad miss course. There are misses by the greens that you just won't get up and down from and angles that you just can't make anything happen from on some approaches. They used to really amp up the greens for the tournament and some years the firmness and speed really made the course bare it's teeth. The architecture allowed for it though as long as the approaches were firm as well.

The culture is very much cart-centric and unfortunately the course mandates this on weekends in season.  Off season and on weekdays you will see walkers, although not as many as you should given how walkable it is. I've spent many years at the Pond until I moved and it's a place I still keep in touch with and try to play when I'm in the area.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back