News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Old Golf Digests. '91 Anyone?
« on: September 19, 2013, 02:00:50 PM »
I'm searching for a very specific item. It came in a supplement titled " Places to play in '91". It likely came with either the December 1990, or, January 1991, issue.

There's a course in Grand Island Nebraska on the Nebraska state list.

Could you please tell me the name of the course?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jason Topp

Re: Old Golf Digests. '91 Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 02:20:33 PM »
I thought I had it but my version is from '94-95.  There are two Grand Island courses listed - Indianhead built in 1990 and Grand Island Muni built in 1977.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 02:45:21 PM »
Hey Adam,

A bit off-topic, but were you the guy with the Ballyneal bag that I talked to on #18 tee at Bayside two Mondays ago (9/9)?

I was the guy from Boston with the loopy swing playing by myself.  I had a feeling it was a GCAer, and Doug Wright (who I played with the next day) thought it might be you.

If so, sorry I didn't introduce myself!

-Brad
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 03:11:15 PM »
Hey Brad, Yes, that was me with the Bayside welcoming committee. I knew it was a gca'er too. You were just way too knowledgable to be anything else. We were all enamored with your game. I loved the authentic swing.

Jason, Thanks. I will have to pull into their respective parking lots to see if either one is the one I owe a play.

In '91 I took my first solo long road trip to Denver. I pulled into their lot and did a U turn. It wasn't fair of me to judge the course from there. I think I was upset because it was unexpectedly well off the interstate.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Lou_Duran

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 09:41:08 AM »
Hey Brad,

I loved the authentic swing.

What is an "authentic" swing, and why haven't you lavished such praise on mine?  I bet Trevino never challenged young Brad to a match and asked him for strokes!

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 09:46:29 AM »
Hey Brad,

I loved the authentic swing.

What is an "authentic" swing, and why haven't you lavished such praise on mine?  I bet Trevino never challenged young Brad to a match and asked him for strokes!

Lou, your swing actually looks good. Brad's swing just gets good results....Authentic is a perfect way to put it.

Jason Topp

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 09:54:59 AM »

Lou, your swing actually looks good. Brad's swing just gets good results....Authentic is a perfect way to put it.

Imagine someone lifting a sledgehammer and then attempting a pirouette.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 11:17:45 AM »
Lou, You are authentic, your swing needn't be.

I stole Authentic swing from Steven Pressfield.  

http://www.stevenpressfield.com/

We once had a match in Malibu. we played for way more $ than I ever would. My partner was a mad man and we won it all on the home hole with a huge press.

Jason, I spoke with a guy last night who knows Grand Island golf, as well as Tony Chapman, and for the life of me, I cannot figure out what course it was.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 11:44:00 AM »
I am disappointed, Adam.  I mean, who can pirouette with a sledgehammer (ok, it would have to be custom made and weigh about four ounces) past parallel and still hit the ball in the general direction of the target?  It is definitely contrived, so doesn't it qualify as "authentic".

Leary and Topp- you pretty boys make the appropriate concessions for age and poor form and we'll play for more than a Mexican peso.  You guys from the tips, me from the seniors, Fazio or Ross, rain or shine, F&F or S&G.  I'll be at the DC in October with my unauthentic swing.  You boys come on by.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 11:49:22 AM »
Adam, could it have been Wood River CC, a 9 holer, that sometimes is associated and spoken of as if it were in Grand Island?  Wasn't it Tony that years ago had made an inquiry and threw out a notion to that membership about relocating to better land and going for an 18 hole concept that better reflected "prairie golf"? 

https://maps.google.com/maps?expflags=enable_star_based_justifications:true&ie=UTF8&cid=18094543649417296175&q=Wood+River+Country+Club&iwloc=A&gl=US&hl=en
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 01:29:24 PM »
Dick, Doubtful as I recall going to a pharmacy in Downtown Gi. The best guess from looking at the map, is Indianhead.

The GI Muni is now called Jackrabbit Run. Tony and I played there. It was ok, but hard to believe it was on a national list of places to seek out.

I'm gonna have to ask about clubhouse changes, because what I recall seeing back then, hasn't registered on any level.

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 02:33:21 PM »
Leary and Topp- you pretty boys make the appropriate concessions for age and poor form and we'll play for more than a Mexican peso.  You guys from the tips, me from the seniors, Fazio or Ross, rain or shine, F&F or S&G.  I'll be at the DC in October with my unauthentic swing.  You boys come on by.

I was referring to Tuft's swing and I am not playing with him except as my partner.  I will, however, take your money next time I get the chance.  I will be in the Big D October 4-6 and December 2-5.  Unfortunately I may not have a window of time to play golf but will keep you posted.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back