News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Cataraqui ( Thompson) New
« on: July 09, 2007, 09:23:07 AM »
Has anyone played this Stanley Thompson course in Ontario, Canada ?  How's the movement in the terrain. Which holes stand out on the overall routing.  

Are the green complexes well preserved, and/or especially interesting ?  Archtecturally, does Cataraqui compare favorably with  Scarboro, Lookout Point,  and  Toronto  Golf Club ?  
Thanks !
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:42:53 PM by mark chalfant »

Jeff_Mingay

Re:Cataraqui (Stanley Thompson)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 09:32:30 AM »
Mark,

For whatever it's worth, below are comments by Ben Dewar and I, from our "Canada's Top Golf Courses" piece that features in the In My Opinion section of this web site.

"JM: I dislike the “term” but, Cataraqui is an excellent “member’s course”. Featuring an interesting collection of holes of varying length and difficulty, Cataraqui is easily walk-able, too. It’s the type of golf course I’d enjoy as a 10-handicap member, anyway. Stanley Thompson laid a new design over the original Cataraqui course during the late 1920s. Although it’s one of Thompson’s lesser-known designs throughout the world, Catarqui possesses some outstanding holes. Typical of Thompson’s work, the par 3s are particularly good. The second and fifteenth are long, brutish one-shotters, played uphill to elusive putting greens surrounded by hazards; the eighth is shorter, and less difficult, but definitely an interesting hole, too; and, the twelfth a classic drop-shot par 3 featuring a pond guarding the left-front of the putting surface and bunkers built into Thompson-esque mounds at rear. Catarqui’s par 4 first and eighteenth holes, separated only by a major roadway from the shore of Lake Ontario, occupy some very interesting terrain as well. (The eighteenth might be my favourite hole on the course). And, other stand out holes include the difficult, par 4 third (featuring an attractive, natural rock outcropping behind the green), the par 5 fourth (which possesses the most interesting green surface at Cataraqui), and the par 4 tenth. Writing this brief review makes me anxious to return to Cataraqui, actually!

BCD: Arguably one of Canada’s most charming courses, which despite its relative lack of length, still provides challenge and remains a joy to play. The strongest set of par threes that Stanley built, which is high praise given some of his tremendous work. The 2nd and 15th are among the very best long par threes I have ever seen, both playing uphill to targets that demand a great shot. The other two par threes are more modest in length, but equal in their exacting nature. From the near-perfect opening hole to the tremendous closing hole, the course moves across some dynamic land and proves a wonderful walk. The courses key weakness are the upper holes (5-7) that occupy the flattest land on the course and are a slight letdown after the superb opening four holes. Thompson’s work here is easy to spot and shows his sheer mastery."

Overall, I'm a big fan of Cataraqui. There are a couple weak holes, but course compares very favourably with Scarboro and Lookout Point. Toronto Golf is a notch up.
jeffmingay.com

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 01:41:03 PM »
Definately worth a play.

As mentioned above the par 3s are excellent.  Interesting terrain, lots of uneven places yet easy to walk.  I've played the course a number of times, mostly in the 36 hole Whig Standard Tournament they host.  What gets me is that it looks like a course for the taking, but nobody goes real low.

Easily equal to Lookout Point, and I haven't played the other two mentioned.  I beleive that it's pretty well preserved, and the green complexes are interesting; especially the 5th where Jimmy Hoffa is buried (and you thought it was the Meadowlands).

Evan_Smith

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 02:36:56 PM »
Definately worth a play.

As mentioned above the par 3s are excellent.  Interesting terrain, lots of uneven places yet easy to walk.  I've played the course a number of times, mostly in the 36 hole Whig Standard Tournament they host.  What gets me is that it looks like a course for the taking, but nobody goes real low.

Easily equal to Lookout Point, and I haven't played the other two mentioned.  I beleive that it's pretty well preserved, and the green complexes are interesting; especially the 5th where Jimmy Hoffa is buried (and you thought it was the Meadowlands).

Paul-It's the 4th you're thinking of.  The course is very well preserved.  We did a bunker restoration a couple of years ago and other than one green site being re-done(the 3rd-which was not an original Thompson hole), the course is pretty much as it was in 1933 when Thompson's redesign opened.  There are a couple of fairway bunkers that are still grassed in, but they aren't really in play.  I'm hoping that they get re-cut in the future.  My dad researched the course and wrote a book about the beginings of the course from 1917-1933.  It has some great early aerial photos and a complete set of approach shots to every green that were taken in 1933 after Thompson's work was finished (well, not finished, but that's another story).

Mark-I guarantee that you'll enjoy the course if you play it.  It's relatively short at 6400 yds but being a par 70 and across the road from Lake Ontario (lots of wind) it's a very good challenge.  The fairways are very reminiscent of links golf with the rumples, so when you hit a drive down the middle you may still have a very tough lie.  The par 3's are amazing and the 18th is one of my favourite holes of all-time.  I wish I had some digital photos of the course, but alas I don't.  I'll try to get some to post.  Get in touch with me if you want any more info.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 04:11:44 PM by Evan_Smith »

Mark Saltzman

Re: Cataraqui (Stanley Thompson)
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 08:31:06 PM »
The 2nd is a 210 yard par-3:

The 3rd is a 430 yard par-4:

The 4th green is the most severe on the course:

Some nice terrain on the 420 yard 10th:

The approach to the 405 yard 11th:

Green site on the drop-shot 12th:

Drop-down green on the 14th:

Very severe 210 yard par-3 15th:

Greenside bunkering on the short par-5 16th:

Fascinating shaping on the 390 yard 18th:

Tom_Doak

Re: Cataraqui (Stanley Thompson)
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 10:13:51 PM »
Nice pictures, Mark.  I might need to talk with you about The Confidential Guide!

I played Cataraqui this summer, at Ian Andrew's suggestion.  It was worth the drive through rush hour Toronto traffic and two hours east, and that is saying something.  It is in the same class as Scarboro and Lookout Point and also Kawartha, which doesn't get as much ink.  There are some very good holes which Mark has pictured, though there is a bit of a dull stretch in each nine, too.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back