News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Re: The Club Liar
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2013, 09:15:58 PM »
A member playing by himself with a caddie at Dunes Club ran into the clubhouse extolling his hole in one. ""Put me on the plaque," he chortled. He had a celebratory beer and left. His caddie quickly reported that it was a hole in three. Mike Keiser rescinded his membership the next day. So the Liar Member became the Ex Member. Now, that's justice.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John McCarthy

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2013, 10:54:14 PM »
Lavin:

What sort of sickness creates that?  The hole in 3 is, by any objective standard, a better story.  Yet the need to lie to puff oneself up is strong. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

John McCarthy

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2013, 10:56:54 PM »
Or hubris creates nemisis, no?
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Terry Lavin

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2013, 11:11:49 PM »
I had a hole in three on the same hole. Ball still went in the hole, but I wouldn't f'ing lie about it to see my name on the clubhouse wall. Then again, I had three aces at Olympia Fields and one at Flossmoor by then, so maybe he was more desperate for attention.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2013, 10:10:16 AM »
I love Keiser's reaction. That's perfect.
We had a member at a club I belong to who was a constant brag about his prowess, especially after a few. He actually challlenged a club champion publicly in the lounge one day claiming he was a better iron player than the champ, who acted as a gentleman about the claim, realising the fool had consumed a couple of adult beverages. Well, as justice would have it the braggart drew the the champ in the first round of the club match play about two months later. I believe the match went 11 holes.

Travis Dewire

Re: The Club Liar New
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 10:40:40 AM »
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:08:34 AM by Travis Dewire »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2013, 11:22:59 AM »
Can't understand why they do it.

When asked if "that was a 6?", a now ex memeber always used to claim he'd birdied it, "yesterday". This was as you walked off the 410 yard, steeply uphill first hole.  Sometimes he forgot himself and would repeat the claim on one of the tougher holes on the back nine.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Carl Johnson

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 12:03:32 PM »
There's a difference between a "vanity" handicap and a "sandbagging."  A sandbagger can be dealt with at the club level by only counting his . . . . Vanity handicappers need no adjustments.  :)

I would suggest that vanity handicappers do need adjustments.  When you get paired with them in four-ball events or on your team in other team competitions at the club, you might agree with me.  I suppose you'd say, "Well, I'll just choose not to play with them."  Easier said than done in a club situation.

Jud_T

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 12:30:31 PM »
Nothing more annoying than the guy and his buddy who win the member guest better ball by 6 shots every year.  Handicap committees without balls are unacceptable.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Steve Salmen

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2013, 01:35:37 PM »
I believe this discussion is pretty limited to the US.  In Scotland, a sandbagger is a bandit, and everyone knows who it is, and no one will play with him.  I don't understand why we put up with it here.  It's lying and stealing, yet people continue to be friends with the bugger.

The USGA does not help matters by having people post match play scores.  One fellow at my former club won his match 7 and 6 and proceeded to finish the round with nothing but doubles and triples.

I guess we get what we deserve.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2013, 03:17:57 PM »
Hooray for Mike Keiser. And the caddie.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Mark Steffey

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2013, 04:51:33 PM »
i had that 'hole in 3' thing happen a while ago.   if any of the MA guys have played widow's walk it was on #8 (a short par 4 that has a tee high up on a bluff.  you hit over a pond to the fairway that bends right and there is another pond on that right side with a row of trees on the edge so you can't see the green -whew, breathe!-).

anyhow when i played there with a friend who lived in the area i always tried to drive the green (hole reads 310y maybe, but again all downhill and at an angle you can cut).  that day i was playing well and he talked me into hitting an iron.  well the iron hits a sprinkler head on the right side of the fairway and kicks dead right into the pond which we saw all the way.  hilarity rules and i walk to the bag to get another ball, and change clubs.  i swing the driver and the ball goes over the trees toward the hidden green.

we walk down.  the other guys hit their shots and we walk up.  we are looking for the ball and can't find anything.  a single we grouped with goes to the hole and says, "there is something here."

yup, birdie.

he is on me "go tell the pro shop!!  that is incredible!  they will probably call the paper!"

no thanks.  i found it embarrassing.  :-[

Jim Franklin

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2013, 10:27:10 AM »
I like the guy that has played everywhere when it comes up.  We have one guy that plays Seminole when he goes to Port St Lucie and Merion when he goes to Pittsburgh.  And still has a "I'd rather be driving a Titleist" sticker on his car....

Why wouldn't he play Oakmont when in Pittsburgh?
Mr Hurricane

Jay Flemma

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2013, 12:44:38 PM »
Sounds like by buddy Chucky.  He shoots 85, says he shot 75, and acts like he shot 55.  Then he wonders why a) he's useless as a teammate in a tournament and b) why he never gets invited anywhere.

He also has the annoying habit of putting exclamation po9ints on his scorecard - "73!"

I didn't know 50 and 39 added up to that...
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Rees Milikin

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2013, 01:09:34 PM »
While we're at it, head covers on the irons...

I won't play with someone with headcovers. To me it probably means you've also never touched boobs. :D

My father in law has them, playing with him gives me second hand embarrassment.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2013, 03:50:44 PM »

I won't play with someone with headcovers. To me it probably means you've also never touched boobs. :D

Are we talking only about headcovers on irons?  Is it o.k. to use headcovers on woods?  I don't use head covers on irons, woods or putter, but just in case I do decide to use a head cover on my three wood, the only wood I carry, I want to make sure that would be o.k.

Sean Leary

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2013, 05:08:43 PM »
I like the guy that has played everywhere when it comes up.  We have one guy that plays Seminole when he goes to Port St Lucie and Merion when he goes to Pittsburgh.  And still has a "I'd rather be driving a Titleist" sticker on his car....

Why wouldn't he play Oakmont when in Pittsburgh?

Jim, See the name of the thread for your answer...

Rees Milikin

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2013, 05:13:37 PM »

Are we talking only about headcovers on irons?  Is it o.k. to use headcovers on woods?  I don't use head covers on irons, woods or putter, but just in case I do decide to use a head cover on my three wood, the only wood I carry, I want to make sure that would be o.k.

Just irons, the other clubs don't bother me one way or the other.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2013, 05:19:37 PM »
I have headcovers on my irons.  :-[

Bill_McBride

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2013, 05:34:25 PM »
I have headcovers on my irons.  :-[

I'll be they look nice!   ;D

I'm embarrassed to admit I never keep a cover on my driver, and my Titleist 910 D2 is looking a bit beat up.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2013, 05:59:47 PM »
There was a kid I played with a lot growing up who was just blatant about shaving strokes. I'd make a 5 and he'd have 6 and on the card he would put me down for a 4 and himself for a 5.

He never made the golf team and would leave tryouts grumbling about playing bad and how he'd shot better last week etc etc. He was a good kid and honest in other facets of life. It mystified me. It didn't bother me, especially, except that his dad always expected me to be just a slightly better player than I was in reality, because he'd see all the cards his son brought home.

Maybe that was all for his Dad's vanity? I dunno.

I'm not a member at any club, but I guess it shouldn't surprise me that such people don't necessarily outgrow the behavior.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2013, 09:58:45 PM »
I love Keiser's reaction. That's perfect.
We had a member at a club I belong to who was a constant brag about his prowess, especially after a few. He actually challlenged a club champion publicly in the lounge one day claiming he was a better iron player than the champ, who acted as a gentleman about the claim, realising the fool had consumed a couple of adult beverages. Well, as justice would have it the braggart drew the the champ in the first round of the club match play about two months later. I believe the match went 11 holes.

don't think justice had anything to do with the draw. Too much of a coincidence.

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2013, 08:18:18 AM »
Pete,
    Your right, the draw was determined by order of placement in a previous stroke play competion.  Delicious coincidence, though. Just result. A very popular victory at our club.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2013, 05:15:35 PM »
When I was in high school, the biggest stroke shaver at the golf course was, ..., you'll never guess, ... or, maybe you will ...

the high school golf coach.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back