News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: Golfers Practice Because They Want to Get Better
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 11:51:51 AM »
I've heard the phrase 'golf training' used instead of the term 'golf practice' by some to whom English is not the first language. Perhaps 'training' is actually a more appropriate description of 'beating balls'.

As an aside, as a handicap amateur I'm on the side of the fence that much prefers working on my short game and putting as I tend to find beating balls rather boring and much more tiring.

All the best.

Michael Essig

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 01:01:11 PM »
Thomas, I too am an amateur, and have the lofty goal of the US Senior Am in four years.  I have taken my handicap down from 10 in 2011 to its current 4.9; trying to get to scratch in the next 4 years, only so that I can hopefully get through local qualifying.  I realize that I have aspects of my game that need improvement.  

I know that I am just playing mental games with myself over the semantics I use to describe what I do at the range, but it works for me, but it reflects the motivation for many people that love the game - such as the people on this site.  So, to achieve my US Senior Am goal, the key for me is to "go play more games" in the areas that need personal improvement.

I once "shared my thoughts" (not "gave a speech") about the impact of using words to describe people and actions to a room full of people.  For example, am I a "father" to my children or their "mentor?"

Bringing this full circle to the point of the thread, about why golfers practice, I would answer it this way: some golfers may practice, but people that play golf - which is most of the people on this website - do so in a variety of ways.  As a person who frequents this site, such as yourself, I don't know if you recall the thread a few years ago about your most memorable round.  Almost none of the responses had anything to do with scoring; it was who was in the foursome, the course, etc.  My point is that a person who loves golf doesn't practice; a lover of golf plays the game of golf wherever and whenever the opportunity affords them the chance to play.  Any benefit derived therefrom, such as a lower score when on a course, is just a side effect of getting to play a game we love.  Cheers.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 02:02:21 PM »
Michael, that's a great goal to have and I must say I find it very difficult to disagree with your sentiments in general even though I am not at your level of the game. I do indeed recall the most memorable round thread. I kept quiet myself, but do recall a certain inner calmness when things are going well and go along with your thought that "a lover of golf plays the game of golf wherever and whenever the opportunity affords them the chance to play.  Any benefit derived therefrom, such as a lower score when on a course, is just a side effect of getting to play a game we love.". Very nicely said. As to training/practice regimes, the son of a close friend used to play off a 2 hcp. His practiced his long game a lot. I gently suggested he practice his long game less and his short game more. Bless him, he did and 12 months later his hcp was down to +2. His long game was no worse, but his short game was just amazing, and still is. Shows what can be done with talent and hard work.
Nice thread.
Good luck on your 4 year goal.
All the best.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back