News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Treadwell

Yet Another Newbie...
« on: September 02, 2013, 10:49:35 AM »
Greetings all -

Like a lot of newbies before me I've been following this site for a couple years now and want to thank all of you for educating me on the world of GCA.  I've played golf for 30+ years, but have really started to enjoy the GCA side of things recently.  I play the majority of my golf at an AV Macan course in the Seattle area which like a lot of older courses has lost it's way a bit.  Fortunately, because of this site, I discovered Jeff Mingay who I'm hoping will help restore our track to its proper position in Pacific NW Golf.  Looking forward to being a part of this group.  

Cheers,

Brad

Some of my favorites:
US:
Bandon
Tumble Creek
Wine Valley
Cal Club
Waverley
Pinehurst #2

UK:
Porthcawl
Sunningdale
St George's
Deal
TOC
Muirfield

Carl Johnson

Re: Yet Another Newbie...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 06:28:12 PM »
Welcome Brad,

I suppose I could figure it out, but what's your Seattle club?  I live in Charlotte (we, Carolina Panthers, play the Seahawks this coming weekend - please go easy on us) but my daughter lived in Seattle for six years and I have some knowledge of the area from many visits - I have never golfed (oops! played golf) there though.

Carl
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 07:54:35 PM by Carl Johnson »

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 07:11:32 PM »
Welcome Brad....made my first trip out west last fall.  Because of this site played Gold Mountain and enjoyed it more than Chamber's Bay, which I found to be a bit of a slog.

Brad Treadwell

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:28:01 PM »
Thanks both.  

Carl, the course is Inglewood Golf Club located just North of Seattle towards the top of Lake Washington.  No promises on Sunday!

Cliff, Chamber's has grown on me the more I play it but I hear you.  The 2015 US Open should be interesting o say the least.  

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 12:09:16 AM »
Welcome to the cadre of NW posters. Looks like you are competetive and good. If we don't cross paths before then, I hope to run into you at the King's Putter in the Tacoma environs next spring.

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 03:07:32 AM »
Welcome Brad.

Glad to see Deal is a favourite, you're clearly a man of taste and class.

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 06:33:30 AM »
Welcome Brad!

Good move on contacting Jeff about your home course.
H.P.S.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 01:39:10 PM »
Looks like you shoot some scores that I have shot. I wonder how come Pete doesn't think I'm competitive AND good.

Are we going to get an Inglewood tour on this site?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 02:05:42 PM »
Looks like you shoot some scores that I have shot. I wonder how come Pete doesn't think I'm competitive AND good.

Are we going to get an Inglewood tour on this site?

Dude,
He is a 2.5. He was part of a 4-man club team which won a state championship. I missed that in your resume. And you didn't even welcome him to the board.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 03:16:24 PM »
Pete,

can you spell facetious?

Welcome good walker.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Choi

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 03:28:08 PM »
Welcome to the site, Brad. Glad to see the roster of Seattle members are increasing (I am hoping one more will be added real soon).

I will be expecting you for the King's Putter next year.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 03:36:43 PM »
Inglewood definately has had a colorful past ... multiple deaths, a plane and prostitution.

- A member who was playing alone bled to death on the ninth hole in the 1950s when his club broke and imbedded itself in his leg.  It was the wrong hole for such an accident.  Peacocks were kept on the adjoining property and their screech usually sounded like the word help.  “The peacocks would scream and screech, “ said Ivan Lottsfledt, 79 a member from 1946. Even if he had yelled for  help, the theory  is people may have heard something but wouldn’t have paid attention to it thinking it was just the peacocks.”

- A doctor who was on the course played past the dying man thinking he was just taking a nap

- When most of the course was shut down during World War II, sheep grazedto keep the grass from getting too long.  The clubhouse and some of the property were used as a rest and relaxation site by the Coast Guard.

- In 1954 a light plane made an emergency landing on the 18th fairway, then had to be dismantled for removal.

- In 1973 an arrest for Prostitution was made at a home bordering the 10th fairway.  Clientele for  the house of ill repute came from through out the Seattle area (the place even had membership cards) and sometimes golf carts were parked in front of the establishment. Some members said they didn’t realize it was going on until the police arrest. “I was so naive that it never occurred to me why all those women were in the house,” said one member.

- A Deputy Sheriff was shot and killed and two other deputies were wounded in 1952 when the club’s   dishwasher mistook them for safecrackers returning to the scene of a crime.  An hour earlier, the  dishwasher and two watchmen had been tied up by four safecrackers who had escaped with $6,800  from  the safe and 25 then legal slot machines. ("The club was a gambler’s paradise in those days,"   recalls one member who joined in the early 1950s). An offshoot of the robbery was the conviction of the Chief of King County Detectives for taking a bribe from the robbers.

-During a Memorial Day in the early 1950s, the competing golfers and gallery reached the top of the   4th hole during the morning round and looked down to find the pin placement. Instead, they saw a man   and a woman entwined on the green doing something other than putting. The story goes that the club pro   at the time, Charlie Mortimer, turned to the gallery and ordered, move back, back, back, especially you ladies.” Since then, some members have called the 4th hole “Lovers Lane”

They also held some Senior events there also.  :)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 03:39:25 PM »
Welcome Brad.

Brad Treadwell

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
Thanks again everyone.  

Learned a few things from Craig I wasn't aware of :).

Richard, the King's Putter might have to wait a year for me....currently looks like I'll be in the UK but I'll keep you posted.  

GJ, I'll probably spare everyone a pictorial at this time and wait until I have anything of interest to share from a GCA side of things.  There is a decent course tour on our website if interested.  www.inglewoodgolfclub.com

Cheers.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 11:19:30 PM »
Inglewood may be the most underrated course in the area.  

#3 is one of the best short par 4s I've ever played.
#10 could fit right into Augusta

AV Macan at his finest IMO.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 05:41:48 PM »
Has 7 been lengthened since Macan designed it? It is longer than Mac would usually draw up.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 07:53:15 PM »
Welcome Brad.

Glad to see Deal is a favourite, you're clearly a man of taste and class.

I was going to say the thing about anyone who has Porthcawl at the top of his UK list!   Impeccable taste. 

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 08:26:03 PM »
Inglewood may be the most underrated course in the area.  

I'm not surprised to hear this, Mike. I was pretty impressed while studying the course for a few days last month. Rarely have I come across such an exciting opportunity, where the potential is so huge - great location, enviable history and a fairly well-preserved design heritage, clubhouse architecture... it's all there at Inglewood.

I'm grateful to have been (officially) given opportunity to start on a plan.  
jeffmingay.com

Brad Treadwell

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 03:45:17 PM »
GJ - The hole hasn't been lengthed in the recent past.  There is a black tee I'm sure wasn't originally there.  Macan wrote in 1949 regarding the 7th hole:

"From the back tee, it is certainly under normal conditions a three shot hole.  I have before pointed out, I deal in golfing values, not pars, and rank holes as one, two, and three shotters.  This is the only hole on the course I rank as a three shotter."

We're lucky to have a Club Historian named Kent Ahlf that has done a wonderful job compiling old photos, documents, etc. such as the document referrenced above.  Very pleased to have Jeff onboard officially and am excited for the future for our club, which I believe has the bones to be one of the best Classic, Golden Age courses in the Pacific Northwest.  Stay tuned.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 07:30:29 PM »
Thanks for the info Brad.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back