News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brandon Urban

Every couple of months the Kansas contingent of GCA members, Jason Hines, Daryn Soldan, and myself, get together to try out some place new in the area. Our plan for this past Sunday was a trip to Wabaunsee Pines, a community built golf course in the beautiful Flint Hills, and Topeka Country Club, a 1905 Thomas Bendelow nine hole design that was redesigned by Perry Maxwell in 1938 along with the addition of nine more holes.

The day started when Jason pulled into my driveway at 5:00 a.m. for the drive to Wabaunsee Pines, located about 40 minutes southwest of Topeka, KS. Building Wabaunsee Pines was a community effort which began in 1993. The course was laid out on 47 acres by two graduate students in the Kansas State University architecture program and constructed by community members with their own equipment. Total costs hovered around $100,000. Here is the link for the complete history of WP http://lakewabaunsee.com/Communities/Golf%20Course%20History.html

We arrived in darkness around 6:45 a.m. to the sign below.
http://s1150.photobucket.com/user/burban77/media/WabaunseeSign_zps3e9d223b.jpg.html][/URL]

Obviously they had not switched the sign because we had to wait about 35 minutes for this to be unlocked.

After the gentleman arrived to unlock the gate we pulled into the gravel lot, threw on some shoes, put our $10 into an envelope and placed it in the mailbox, and headed to the first tee with ominous clouds all around. I am not going to tell you that WP is another Wildhorse, but there are some good holes on great terrain and lots of fun to be had. I know I have said it on this site before, but if you are passing by these places without even a second glance, you are missing out on the soul of golf. We had a blast. A few highlights below.

The scorecard with routing.

The downhill 2nd, a 130 yard par 3, with gorgeous views of the Flint Hills all around.

The uphill tee shot on the par 4 3rd. A great use of blindness. Basically everything across the top of this picture is fairway so you have lots of room to miss but going way right makes the approach to this small green tucked to the left a little scarier. Here, our man Daryn, just blasted another ball a mile.

There are many instances of short grass and slopes near the greens that make for fun and option filled recovery shots. Here is the right side of the par 4 fourth.

My favorite hole, the uphill par 4 6th, measuring 329 yards.

Jason and Daryn approach the skyline green on the 6th,  one of my favorite features in golf.

The approach to the long par 4 8th.

The finishing hole, the downhill par 3 9th ,requires a deft touch. The entire hole falls away from the tee and anything left will bound even farther left. Trust me.

Below is a picture of the approaching storm that made us play a little quicker than we wanted. The best part is as it approached, a man on a cart came up to us and said “if it gets too nasty, just go across the street and go in that detached garage. I’m playing with the owner and he said you’re welcome to take cover there”. I love small towns.

Review of the Perry  Maxwell course up next…
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:48:30 PM by Brandon Urban »
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Jason Hines

Re: Kansas GCA: A Maxwell and a community based effort on the same day.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 09:25:50 PM »
I hate to start off with a correction, but #8 is actually a 441 yard par 5.  I was happy to find out that I parred the hole with a 5 because me and my golf swing decided to play most of my shots from the 6th fairway!

A couple of other notes:  While Brandon and I were parked waiting for Daryn to arrive at the locked gate in the pitch black darkness, we were witnesses to an early morning thunderstorm building off to the east.  We were also listening to XM radio and the cottonwoods leaves whistle in the heavy wind and then all of the sudden the wind came to a dead stop.  In Kansas, that is generally not a good sign and the weather helped frame up the experience that was to unfold.

For example, holes 2, 3 and 4 at the crest of the hill had some fairly stiff wind to contend with and helped emphasized that this was a local course, in the Flint Hills where everyone is welcome.  As Brandon mentioned, I wish we did not have to rush through our one hour and ten minute 9 hole walk and if you are looking for plush fairways, WP is not your place, however if you are looking for the rub of the green than a visit is in order.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 01:20:31 AM »
I love this stuff guys, while the famous places are very cool I get sick of hearing a pecker measuring contest about who around here has played NGLA more than they've played Merion. This really is the soul of golf and the places that need to be embraced.

SBendelow

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 03:13:12 PM »
 :) A truly great golf story.  A "sporty" course, good fellowship and beneficial recreation, all at a minimal cost.  Just as Tom Bendelow had envisioned golf providing to the populous.  Old Tom would be smiling!  

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 03:38:40 PM »
Good to see a good amount of discussion on 9 holers of late. As has been mentioned on another thread, it good to see some stuff about lower end stuff in the US instead of the $200+ GF places often featured. At $10 dollars this looks to be great value for money.

Jon

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 05:55:46 PM »
Can't wait for your Topeka CC review, Brandon. This place looks fun, too. Probably have to make a visit.

Daryn_Soldan

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 06:35:21 PM »
Really enjoyed the day with Jason and Brandon. Here are a few more pics from Wabaunsee Pines. A fun golf course with a great story behind it!

A little more history, here's an update on the progress of volunteer construction efforts from 2006... 13 years into the project - http://blogs.cjonline.com/index.php?entry=92

Storm starting to build as we walked off the 4th

Brandon off the 5th

The uphill approach to the 8th... how about that stone wall as a design feature!

Jason and Brandon on the 8th green between rain showers

The 9th green with vistas of the Flint Hills beyond
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 06:48:34 PM by Daryn_Soldan »

David Harshbarger

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 08:42:28 PM »
Hard to argue with a $10 honor box....but the 6th and 8th have some weird tree issues going on: is it possible to have an over treed prairie course that's only 20 years old?
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Brandon Urban

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 09:13:06 PM »
Hard to argue with a $10 honor box....but the 6th and 8th have some weird tree issues going on: is it possible to have an over treed prairie course that's only 20 years old?

David,

The number 1 course in the world disagrees with your tree argument ;)
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Jason Hines

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 10:06:09 PM »
David, a very valid point.  I assumed and maybe incorrectly, that those pine trees were there well before the course judging by the height.  I could be wrong.

Reflecting back on my favorite holes and why, #2 downhill, trenched in green with the barbed wire fence and OB left.  #3, uphill over the prairie thicket and sunflowers to the semi blind fairway and short iron to the green.  #9 into the prevailing wind, hedge apple trees to the left, naturally slopping hill right to left with subtle mounds guarding the front edge of the green.

My camera is on the fritz and am looking forward to the Maxwell course played later in the day.

Ken Moum

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 02:55:14 AM »
Review of the Perry  Maxwell course up next…

I'll be waiting with bated breath to hear you opinion of TCC, which my wife and I refer to un-affectionately as "The Lumberyard."

In case you wondered, I have pretty good evidence that ALL those damned oak trees were planted in the 40s.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

David Harshbarger

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 07:27:40 AM »

David,

The number 1 course in the world disagrees with your tree argument ;)

Some say the #1 course in the world agrees with my argument.....

David, a very valid point.  I assumed and maybe incorrectly, that those pine trees were there well before the course judging by the height.  I could be wrong.

Reflecting back on my favorite holes and why, #2 downhill, trenched in green with the barbed wire fence and OB left.  #3, uphill over the prairie thicket and sunflowers to the semi blind fairway and short iron to the green.  #9 into the prevailing wind, hedge apple trees to the left, naturally slopping hill right to left with subtle mounds guarding the front edge of the green.

I love the wall perpendicular to play, even though it is a bonified danger should be playing a close ball over it.  I can imagine those sentinel pines were part of the design, and have been with the course from inception as newly planted trees, as they would have looked great there.  I especially like the way the fairway mowing lines incorporate those trees in the fairway.   Anyway, if it is good enough for Javier Arana and Jeff Brauer it is good enough for me!

The skyline green on 4 is very nice from the photos.  I agree that the blind shot on 3 must be a joy with the native plants to fly.  

Thanks for posting this.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Brandon Urban

Re: Kansas GCA: A Maxwell and a community based effort (TCC now added)
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 05:21:22 PM »
After a quick nine holes at Wabaunsee Pines, we made the forty minute drive back to Topeka, KS for a 10:00 a.m. tee time at Topeka Country Club.

As I mentioned in the initial post, TCC was originally a nine hole course designed by Thomas Bendelow in 1905. By the early 1930s the club was ready to expand to 18 holes.  They hired Perry Maxwell, fresh off of his time at the famed Prairie Dunes Country Club two hours to the south. In 1938 he added nine holes along with completely redesigning the original course. The course routing is below.

Topeka Country Club sits on a great piece of rolling property. As Jason, Daryn and I talked during the round we agreed that there are some really good golf holes on the ground at TCC. There is great use of the undulating terrain with greens that fit the surrounds perfectly. We also discussed what a little tree clearing and some renovation work on the greens and bunkers could do for this classic course. As you’ll see from some of the pictures below, greens have shrunken on their pads and bunkers no longer seem as if they fit. While there are a ton of trees on the course, I found it to be playable even off of the fairway. The club has kept them trimmed up and recovery shots are definitely possible.

I won’t be doing a complete tour, but a few of my favorites are below. I’m sure Jason and Daryn will chime in with their thoughts, as well.

The first hole is a gentle left to right opener that measures 372 yards from the back tee. I was surprised on our visit to find the majority of the holes flow this direction. The only other Maxwell I have played, Prairie Dunes, features mostly holes that go the opposite direction, right to left.

The third hole, 427 yards, features a semi blind drive over the top of the hill.

The second shot was one of my favorites on the course. The approach is downhill to a green that sits just beyond a shallow valley in the fairway, which definitely affects balls that are played along the ground.

The tee shot on the fourth hole, a 205 yard par three, must be played over a small creek fronting the green.

Once there, a two putt may not be guaranteed due to the severely sloping back to front surface.

This tee shot starts your back nine. Another left to right hole, but this one to a sloping left to right fairway. I loved the way that Maxwell incorporated the rolling nature of the property in different ways. There are side slopes and shots both uphill and downhill all incorporated throughout the course.

The twelfth hole is a 555 yard par 5, with an uphill shot off of the tee. This was my favorite of the three shot holes.

Unless you hit it as far as Daryn does, this is most likely your view for your second shot. The fairway works downhill and to the right once over the ridge.

Your third shot into the twelfth hole is to a well guarded green that sits perfectly with the rest of the landscape.

The final par 3 of the day comes at the thirteenth. A long hole, measuring 230 yards, that flows to a green that rolls right out of the fairway.

The sixteenth, a short par 4 measuring 332 yards, may be my favorite on the course. It is one of the few right to left holes on the course and gives the player on the tee the option of bailing out right or hitting a ball over the trees on the left.

The green features a well guarded left side and a sloped right side that will propel anything not hit on line farther down the hill.

The final hole is a short uphill par 4 that plays right towards the clubhouse and pool.  This is another hole with a lot of options off of the tee. I hit 3 wood here not wanting to maim any members milling around the pro shop, especially since every tee shot I missed had been way right!

All in all, it was a great day at TCC. It is a fantastic walk and as I said earlier, there are definitely some good golf holes there. A little nip and tuck and maybe a couple of chainsaws could really turn this place into something extra special.

Jason Hines

Re: Kansas GCA: A Maxwell and a community based effort (TCC Now Added)
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 08:49:34 PM »
Overall, I liked the feel and the majority of the holes at TCC.  First off, the only time the trees affected my tee shot was on 5, 7, 10 and 14.  I know I have played more penal course with trees, but how else would this course defend itself against the modern game?  Most modern courses in our area use unplayable native with full limbed trees and underbrush to help protect the houses surrounding each hole.  It was almost a treat to be able to find and hit a wayward shot vs. my home club.

This maybe a strange statement but the hills belong and fit in the routing as you can see in the photos.  Daryn and I spoke a few times about what TCC would have looked like 100 years ago and how much fun it would have been to see how Bendelow and Maxwell molded and melded the fairways and greens out of this northeast Kansas prairie.  

As Brandon mentioned, the bunkers have lost some of their shape or fit into the green sites.  I wish I would have taken a picture, but the best way to describe some of the green side bunkers as 1/2 fortress and 1/2 ameba if that makes any sense.  IE - one side would have a real high lip and the opposite side looked like a leaking swimming pool.

Favorite holes and aspects:

Par 3:
#4 - Sloped green site
Par 4:
#17 - Generous, inviting fairway
Par 5:
#10 - Hillside fairway that says, “I belong here and you don’t”

The structure of a classic course is there......
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:12:47 PM by Jason Hines »

Daryn_Soldan

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 01:12:59 PM »
Thanks to the Kansas Historical Society, a couple Topeka CC pics from Bob Hope and Bing Crosby's appearance in June 1945. I couldn't find proper descriptions of these but have done my best to identify below.

View up the second fairway toward the clubhouse with the 3rd tee and 9th green to the left and the 1st fairway to the right. Note the spectators already gathering around 2nd green and 3rd tee (left edge of the photo) as the exhibition participants appear to be playing the first hole (right edge of the photo).

View from the clubhouse / 18th green looking northeast over the 15th green and 17th fairway. The Kansas Capitol building is visible in the background.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 01:24:11 PM by Daryn_Soldan »

David Harshbarger

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 09:33:51 PM »
Daryn,

1. Nice to see clover in the course...something in common with my club.
2. Must be a USO type show at the end of exhibition.
3. The 15th green is squarish, with rounded corners, and doesn't quite fill the pad.  Does this add to the record on the evolution of shrinkage?
4. Did gas rationing impact maintenance in a material way, leading to different conceptions of how big specific greens were pre to post war?

Love these, thanks again.

Brandon Urban

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »
Great pictures Daryn. Thanks for digging those up. Seeing that treeless landscape makes me wonder what it would take for a club like TCC to want to take the drastic step of renovating back to the original. They're not a prominent national club and I would imagine they are happy with what they have. Guys in clubs similar to TCC that have been through that type of renovation, what does it take to get the ball rolling and how hard is it to follow through to the end?

Ken Moum

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 09:50:49 AM »
Great pictures Daryn. Thanks for digging those up. Seeing that treeless landscape makes me wonder what it would take for a club like TCC to want to take the drastic step of renovating back to the original. They're not a prominent national club and I would imagine they are happy with what they have. Guys in clubs similar to TCC that have been through that type of renovation, what does it take to get the ball rolling and how hard is it to follow through to the end?

I know  several.TCC members, some of whom used to be members where I play at Shawnee CC.  Pretty much to a man (or woman) they believe those trees are original to the course and that they "make" the golf course.

If you didn't think finding fairways was difficult, you must be way better than me, or you don't hit a draw off the tee.   >:(

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back