News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Re: How to assess the merit of each individual tree when considering removal?
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2013, 03:51:03 PM »
It's amazing how even a few trees can make a difference.  

My course has almost no trees, having been built on farmland.  Most of the trees are on the course boundary.

About a month ago, some trees were cleared behind the 14th tee that were damaged during Hurricane Sandy.   All of a sudden, the back tee that was always dark and "hidden" is out in the open and getting plenty of light.  Turf health has improved, the the tee is much more playable because it simply looks a lot better.

My point is don't overlook trees that are out of bounds as potential candidates for removal.

PCCraig

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2013, 04:44:12 PM »
The last few months they've been ripping up my home course to rebuild the bunkers. It's a "mature" golf course and over the years many trees had been planted around greens. When they've been digging out the old bunkers, you can see the huge and elaborate root systems popping out of the ground. It's incredible to think that the same system is snaking itself under our putting surfaces. I think it's been an eye opening experience for the membership and even the maintenance staff as to just how detrimental tree plantings near greens can be. Many if not most members now "get" why trees need to be removed around greens.
H.P.S.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2013, 04:59:26 PM »
The last few months they've been ripping up my home course to rebuild the bunkers. It's a "mature" golf course and over the years many trees had been planted around greens. When they've been digging out the old bunkers, you can see the huge and elaborate root systems popping out of the ground. It's incredible to think that the same system is snaking itself under our putting surfaces. I think it's been an eye opening experience for the membership and even the maintenance staff as to just how detrimental tree plantings near greens can be. Many if not most members now "get" why trees need to be removed around greens.

Isn't the rule of thumb that tree roots extend "out" in each direction about as far as the tree is tall?  Considering some oak trees measure close to 100 feet, that's over 30 yards the roots could extend out. 

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2013, 07:04:16 PM »
Andrew,

It must be true.  What really got me on the "tree kick/discussion" was the casual mention of one of the guys on the greens committee discussing trees being removed due to their encroachment under several cart paths.  "So...we don't worry about playability...just buying new cart paths"!
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back