News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Percival

Re: Irish Trip: Doonbeg - Day 1
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 06:53:00 AM »
Irish Trip - Day 5 - Ballybunion.
First of all, gonna try a new way to post, so things may look odd, but cant spend almost 30 minutes and then have it disappear. Gotta be me. Thus, we try something new.

Game with the hickories has improved each day. Only 4 rounds with them, so pleased with the progress. Most difficult elements are distance control and hitting hard draws. The wood really wants to release and each attempt at a draw has been a snipe into gunge. Maybe, maybe should stop trying it. If at 'fifth' you dont succeed...Actually, play with hickories every September in the Evans Scholar Hickory Stick Open in SE Michigan. Great event and great cause.

Ballybunion (for the rest of this post to be called B) was another eagerly anticipated round.
Weather - sunny, high 60's with 15-20 mph winds. To end the great anticipation...won our match 1 up. Tomorrow's round back at Doonbeg will be the decider. Kinda neat that all matches have been 1 up.

Really liked B. Most of it. Liked the way the coastal holes are interspersed thru the round. LOVED the green contours. Challenging, but not overwhelming. The bunkers are great as small pits inside a funneled area. The sand is saucered in such a way that balls feed toward the center, thus keeping super awkward lies to a minimum. Again, was not in any bunkers during play, but tossed a few balls into interesting locations. Coolest - tiny pot right of 14 green.

Enjoyed many holes. Played the white monuments at 6366. Perhaps a bit of a stretch with the hickories, but enjoyed the challenge. Shot 76 and played well. L also played well. We both enjoyed the round.

Faves - 7  to the right green(monster into breeze, chip and par), 8!! Great green. (2 putt par), 9 also monster.  Played greatest shot of trip, a missile from a downhill, hook lie thru and under a right to left crosswind and onto the green! Then, three putted?, 11 (another monster hole, a great driving iron approach and a lipped birdie putt), 14 and 15 as two fabulous companion 3 pars - 14, a superb short one-shotter similar to Rye #7, with right to left wind and then 15 as a brutish 3 par with left to right wind (two 2 putt pars) and 16!!!, a magnificent 5 par with a fairway running uphill between huge dunes. The type of hole that can yield a simple birdie or a tortured X. (Birdie)

Now, some headscratchers...loved #2 green, but the surface sits very high atop a dune. Tried to trundle on, stopped about a yard short and rolled back about 20 yards (chip and tap-in par), 4 and 5 are basically the same 5 par and 6 the same, just a shorter 4 par version. The front of 6 green and back of 9 green roll off sharply in both directions, making play almost comical to watch. The twelth green is another great surface, but, like #2 sits high atop a dune. Tried to stratosphere an approach, but came up just short/left (chip and putt par). Laura drilled a 3 wood into the hill, had it hop up and run onto the green deep - 10 feet from hole. Nope. She missed it. At #13, the second shot is played to fairway with a burn crossing it, on the far side of the burn sits a dune on each side. And smack in the middle of the small section of fairway is an island of gunge. Huh??? Love #14 for me/men. However, as a short 4 par from the forward tees, there is no fwy and a difficult angle from the tee is over a massive dune. A lady in our group hit a fine tee ball only to have it hit the top of the dune and be swallowed. She wouldn't even go up after it. (L drove it just short and chipped tight for birdie) Move the tee fwd and right onto a dune. Finally, the closer has a bunker that forces a layup, then a semi-blind second to an elevated green downwind and they've allowed the fairway short of the green to grow long? How in the hell are you supposed to stop a shot to a front pin? Finally, the trailer park along the east isn't the club's fault, but it does diminish the aura.

The main difference between B and Lahinch is that the sporty/quirky spots at B are infrequent and spaced.  Blind shots at B are almost non-existent and most greens at B are more accessible on running plays. From a comparison standpoint, B over L by a very large margin.

Note on Tralee...the 13th is a cool, short one-shotter over a massive and deep gorge. The shallow green is a difficult target, with short a horrifying non-option and long a gunge covered hill. Were two bunkers cut into that backing hill, they would provide some respite (and realistic) recovery.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 07:44:45 AM »
John,

Im enjoying reading your posts here and look forward to seeing some photos in due course.

As to disappearing posts, if I'm working on a longer post, couple of paragraphs say, I normally write it in Word and then copy and paste it across to GCA.

All the best.

Jason Topp

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 08:26:16 AM »
John - I had not focused on the fact you are playing with hickories.  How do you think your perceptions of the courses would change (if at all) with modern clubs?

Josh Bills

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 09:02:07 AM »
John,  my picture of hole #2 looking back to the tee from the green at Ballybunion Old is one of my favorites, but agree it would be a difficult approach with hickories.  I will be interested to see any differences from when I played in 2002. 

John Percival

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 01:47:44 AM »
A sad day, as we say farewell to Ireland.
Some general comments and responses to your inputs...
...the Irish have been/are the most gracious hosts. A familiar kind of hosts. Remembering desserts (thank you, Sarah), remembering L and my matches (the final results later) and almost everything  else. How good are they? On the back nine of our final round, I lamented not playing at least one hole in the rain...on 17, it rained! Just how did they arrange that? Even had a rainbow. So, to everyone Irish, "Fhagann tu le linn agus taimid ag tnuth le fiieadh ar a thabhairt duit. Go raibh maith agat!"

Thomas, thx for the word idea. Am doing it now. Should be a huge help.

We probably should have taken a break for day, as we are beat from walking. Those beautiful dunes are nasty to walk! Or maybe we should have scheduled an early round one day and a late round another. Man, my feet are some barking dogs.

B Sheehy, as a local, you know and have your routine. Visitors will find the travel here a bit of a challenge, and simplicity is the best way to go. Everyone who visits, take the ferry.

Also, B, you mentioned putting a caddie thru his paces. Absolutely not. First of all, he was L's caddie. Carried my own bag. Hicks weigh nothing. Second, I have a simple routine with caddies (or even fellow players), I ask some questions early and depending on their responses, decide whether to utilise their info for the round's duration. To repeat, it is not criticism. It just means they don't know. Perfect example, yesterday at Doonbeg on #6 (a very short, bitchy 4 par) was told by Roonin (sp?) to hit it 80 yards towards the end of the fence row and it would release to the hole. Well, hit it exactly to the spot and it didn't move an inch. You see, when a ball is hit cleanly and briskly from a tight lie into the wind, it will almost surely stop dead. It's just that most dont hit that shot that way, so he was advising on what he normally would see. In fact, he looked a bit stunned at the outcome. Left a very long birdie putt (did 2 putt). And for the record, L's caddies all love her. They enjoy our matches and our special brand of 'banter'.

Ireland does have a major negative, one that it shares with all of europe...it's brutal to follow sports with the time change. Going to bed not knowing the Tigers' score, is tough. Unless they get waxed 20-4.

Saving hickories v tech for the end...

The far point of Doonbeg has some bordering property that could be hidden by sculpting some dunes for about 100 yards along the fence line. C'mon guys. Would make the tee shots cool almost coming out of a chute.

When you visit Irish cses, play match, not stroke play. The gunge makes a lost ball almost inevitable and some gunge makes recovery impossible. And there are different levels of gunge. This is important...DO NOT TRY HITTING HARD SHOTS, ESPECIALLY FOLLOW THRUS FROM THE DENSE GUNGE. YOU WILL HURT YOUR WRIST/ELBOW/HAND/SHOULDER/RIB, ETC. Especially early in your trip. In match play, a blow up hole is no different than making par versus your opponent's birdie (L on 15!). And it helps with the pace of play.

Speaking of which, had great pace at all venues. Bit of wait at BB, but was able to enjoy watching shots played by the group behind us (and some were quite good). When you visit, take a moment to sit atop a dune and just take it all in. Did that many times at Doonbeg and was amazed at the sensation.

OK. Hicks v tech. Was it a good idea? Probably not, but I enjoyed it. They are not forgiving, difficult to manipulate and hard to hold. The hickories, not Laura!!! Especially the old grips. But wanted to play the two old cses old-style. Like Cortes burning his ships at the New World, bringing only the hicks motivated me and eliminated any ideas of returning to tech (of course, my tech is 20-25 years old). As mentioned earlier,  the most difficult part of the hicks is distance control and low flighting short irons. And low shots are important here. Would I bring them again? Probably not, as there are some holes will love to play from the tips:
   Tralee - 2, 3!!!, 10, 12, 15 and 16!
   Doonbeg - 6, 7 (tried it w/ hicks - ouch), 13, 15 (again tried it -ouch), 16 (more ouch) and 18
   BB - 15, 16
   Lahinch --------------

The first at Doonbeg has a great green site, but the first two shots are very simple. Since, the two bunkers 100 yards short of the green are to avoided at all costs, and the fairways run, a healthy 5 wood and running 5 iron should get many in position for a short iron into the bowled green (great left pin). And remember that many greens here, especially in the dunes, have backstops which hold shots that are deep. Overclubbing will often be your friend.

Surprised at the lack of drivable 4 pars. In fact, most short holes have some break in the fwy, thus making the tee ball a bunt. Two possible options are 6 Doonbeg and 15 Tralee. 6D has quite the heaving fairway and sunken/falling green, but it is possible. 15T is short, but into the wind and the green has almost no fwy run-up, thus making a successful drive a carry and hope, with gunge all about. Would like to see some fwy added left/short of the green as an incentive.

Time to pack and go. Will post more on our return to States. Really enjoyed these posts as they allow a re-visit to the moments.
And lastly, the final match....JP, 2 and 1. A battle of two tired puppies.

Mark_F

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2013, 02:34:11 AM »
Ireland does have a major negative, one that it shares with all of europe...it's brutal to follow sports with the time change. Going to bed not knowing the Tigers' score, is tough. Unless they get waxed 20-4.

Maybe you should only travel to Europe when the sports season is over then.

Ireland's only major negative is that it isn't closer to Australia.

John Percival

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2013, 02:47:42 AM »

Maybe you should only travel to Europe when the sports season is over then.

Ireland's only major negative is that it isn't closer to Australia.
M,
To Laura's regret, American sports are never over.
And I was joking.
Unless it's the playoffs.

Mike Policano

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2013, 05:47:46 AM »
John,

Enjoyed your daily reports. I just got back from almost the exact same trip on Sunday. I play at least half my golf with hickories. I have taken them to Scotland, the Netherlands and Australia. But I decided not to take them to Ireland. I look forward to your hicks vs tech report. You mentioned your grips, what were you referring to?

Cheers, Mike

John Percival

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2013, 01:25:45 PM »
John,

Im enjoying reading your posts here and look forward to seeing some photos in due course.

Thomas and everyone else:
My sincere apologies that there will be no pics. Actually have some great ones of L hitting shots, but not of holes. Frankly, am too tech challenged to even try to post them. Have enough trouble just typing and sending posts.

John Percival

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2013, 01:30:01 PM »
John - I had not focused on the fact you are playing with hickories.  How do you think your perceptions of the courses would change (if at all) with modern clubs?
Jason/ Josh:
The hicks probably don't change that much in terms of playability (for me) except for low short irons. Will add some info on the next post in just minutes. Cant imagine holding perched greens downwind with anything other than a javelin.

John Percival

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2013, 02:07:17 PM »
From 36,000 feet...Thomas, ur idea makes this  possible without the net.
Evaluating the courses:
   Best green contours - BB
   Best green conditioning - BB (little bit of moisture)
   Best bunkers - Doonbeg. Just a great collection that are scary, beautiful and hypnotic. Hear it comes... just like Laura.
                        BB's bunkers are also great, but more from a utilitarian aspect.
   Best fairway conditioning - Tralee
   Best fairway contouring - Lahinch
   Best atmosphere - Doonbeg. How can they NOT shoot a movie there? At #9, you are 3 miles away from the clubhouse,
                        with an amazing view along the coast (which is part of the resort logo)
   Best clubhouse - Not even close. Doonbeg. Incredible building(s). L called it 'Skyfall'. Better than that. Note: on a previous post,
                        someone commented on the poor locker room at Doonbeg. Went in to find 80 or so lockers, with keyed locks;
                        a generous changing area; 4 fine showers, etc. Like everything else at the resort, it was first class.
   Headscratcher clubhouse - BB. Really? A misplaced air cargo terminal.

Best 3 pars - BB ( even with #12)
   Best 4 pars - Tralee
   Best 5 pars - Lahinch (even with #4)
   Best opener - BB (though the rough is too low, great green)
   Best closer - Doonbeg (along the coast, with the clubhouse to the left)
   Headscratcher closer - BB. Stupid and a letdown after two exciting holes. Lose the fwy bunker and the rough fronting the green.
   Headscratcher closer (2) - Tralee. Snooze alert. Move some dirt and juice it up.
   Best range - tie    They are all nasty in Ireland
   Best bunker sand - tie    They are all FANTASTIC in Ireland. Great 'beach' sand that is easy to displace and move balls out
   Best goats - Lahinch

Course scores (out of ten)    BB            D            L            T    
   Laura                               8             8            4             8
   JP                                    7             8            3             8

Best holes (length)
3 pars
BB 8 - (Short) Amazing short hole, downwind, with a sloped left side of green and great bunkering around
BB 14 - Shorter than 8, but maybe harder. Angled ridge fronting makes approach tough and gunge tight on both sides. Cool pot bunker at middle, right
D 16 - (Long) Over the edge of a huge dune, the long green curves to the left and back, is segmented by two large ridges and has plenty of fwy in front and behind. Cant wait to play it again with a back, left pin. Zowwee!
T 3 - (Long) Maybe the biggest regret about the hickories. Couldn't play from the back tee. The shot needs to swing out over the water on a direct line, or you can hit a large cut against the wind on a safer line. Brilliant. And the putting surface condition was just fine.

4 pars
BB 1 - (Short) Terrific green offers varied pins and eases player into round
BB 9 - (Medium)Doggy right into a right to left quartering breeze. Back half of green is funky/falling away on all sides???
BB 11 - (Long) Everyone knows
D 5 - (Short) First hole playing into prevailing wind that really blows thru the dunes. Largish green. Relentless
D 12 - (Medium) Wall at landing zone's right. Large green with bunker in middle, but shaped so that most approaches will miss it. Great undulations. Sleeper hole away from dunes.
D 18 - (Long) Great closer. Fairway may be a bit too wide (7 yards), but a wonderful balance of shot shapes, visuals, and a cool, large green with a large swale at mid-left
L 9 - (Long) Fairway slopes hard to left, and if ball stays in fairway, the approach needs to cut into green off the hook lie. Tough.
L 10 - (Long) Made difficult by the wind behind and off left shoulder and doglegging left. Green up on shelf.
T 10 - (Long) Working downhill and to the left, this hole plays back into the prevailing wind, with a green that sits on a gentle rise up from the player. Almost a short 5 par
T 12 - Love this hole! Plays downhill and slightly right from tee, with wind from right. Scary approach is over a large gunge filled gulch to an elevated green. There is ample lay-up room, ample run-up area and ample room right to bail. Note on gunge gullies (12, 13, 16 tralee, 14 doonbeg, etc). If the clubs would mark the areas as hazards, you could simply drop balls at the edge and play on instead of the gruesome search-tedious wait-hideous lie-broken hand debacle that you have now

5 Pars
BB 16 - (Reachable) The highlight of the trip. A cool doggy left over dunes, with amazing grassed fwy bunkers left and up a hill thru dunes. A visual delight and a scary ride to great heights.
D 13 - (Reachable) An outstanding transition from the low ground (on the tee ball) to the perched green beyond 3 ghastly bunkers cut into hill. Feast or famine on the heroic approach.
L  12 - (Long) Curves beautifully along the beach and, downwind, offers an opportunity to just bash a tee ball and turn it on the right to left banked fwy. Green is one of the more accessible on course.
T 2 - (LONG!) Wish it came later in round, as it taxes the player early. Beautifully situated along the coast, with a dip in the landing zone that can make a great (and risky) shot even better. Forget that about later in the round: wish it came three times in the round!

Am sending this from the Delta SkyClub at JFK. What a great facility. Check it out next time ur in Terminal 4.

Final trip notes in next post.

Jason Topp

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2013, 02:17:48 PM »
Thanks so much for this thread John.  I really enjoyed your perceptions and particularly appreciated the fact you provide viewpoints that are unique.   I took a very similar trip in 2004 and Lahinch is a magic place for me, so much so that if I could be instantly transported to a first tee, that one would be very high on my list.  Nonetheless, your viewpoints are spelled out in detail and clearly thought through.  We need more of that.  

Tim Pitner

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2013, 02:45:18 PM »
John, thanks for your comments.  I respectfully submit that if you have a rule against more than three quirky holes per course and you include the condition of the range in your evaluation of a GB&I course, then you're missing a great deal of the point of golf in Ireland.  Lahinch is a 3/10?  I'm still trying to come to terms with that one. 

William_G

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2013, 06:37:40 PM »
Thanks for the great post John, and Word is the way to go for long posts   8)

Great idea to use Hickories on pre-1900 courses...or the shorter tees on newer course!

From 36,000 feet...Thomas, ur idea makes this  possible without the net.
Evaluating the courses:
   Best green contours - BB
   Best green conditioning - BB (little bit of moisture)  TRALEE... WHATS UP WITH THE LAZY 2 HOLE CUTS AT DOONBEG USING ONE AND THE CAPPED WITH BLACK STYROFOAM, SEEMS LAZY
   Best bunkers - Doonbeg. Just a great collection that are scary, beautiful and hypnotic. Hear it comes... just like Laura.
                        BB's bunkers are also great, but more from a utilitarian aspect.
   Best fairway conditioning - Tralee
   Best fairway contouring - Lahinch
   Best atmosphere - Doonbeg. How can they NOT shoot a movie there? At #9, you are 3 miles away from the clubhouse,
                        with an amazing view along the coast (which is part of the resort logo)
   Best clubhouse - Not even close. Doonbeg. Incredible building(s). L called it 'Skyfall'. Better than that. Note: on a previous post,
                        someone commented on the poor locker room at Doonbeg. Went in to find 80 or so lockers, with keyed locks;
                        a generous changing area; 4 fine showers, etc. Like everything else at the resort, it was first class. LIKE SUN VALLEY OR WHISTLER   Headscratcher clubhouse - BB. Really? A misplaced air cargo terminal.BEAUTIFUL VIEWS FROM 2ND FLOOR AND LOTS OF GLASS JUST LIKE TRALEE AND LAHINCH
   Best 3 pars - BB ( even with #12)
   Best 4 pars - Tralee
   Best 5 pars - Lahinch (even with #4)
   Best opener - BB (though the rough is too low, great green) ...DOONBEG #1 IS WOW
   Best closer - Doonbeg (along the coast, with the clubhouse to the left)
   Headscratcher closer - BB. Stupid and a letdown after two exciting holes. Lose the fwy bunker and the rough fronting the green.
   Headscratcher closer (2) - Tralee. Snooze alert. Move some dirt and juice it up. TRALEE HAS A FINE 2 CLOSER RIGHT AT THE CLUBHOUSE 2 SHJOT PAR FIVE   Best range - tie    They are all nasty in Ireland
   Best bunker sand - tie    They are all FANTASTIC in Ireland. Great 'beach' sand that is easy to displace and move balls out
   Best goats - Lahinch

Course scores (out of ten)    BB            D            L            T    
   Laura                               8             8            4             8
   JP                                    7             8            3             8

Best holes (length)
3 pars
BB 8 - (Short) Amazing short hole, downwind, with a sloped left side of green and great bunkering around
BB 14 - Shorter than 8, but maybe harder. Angled ridge fronting makes approach tough and gunge tight on both sides. Cool pot bunker at middle, right
D 16 - (Long) Over the edge of a huge dune, the long green curves to the left and back, is segmented by two large ridges and has plenty of fwy in front and behind. Cant wait to play it again with a back, left pin. Zowwee!
T 3 - (Long) Maybe the biggest regret about the hickories. Couldn't play from the back tee. The shot needs to swing out over the water on a direct line, or you can hit a large cut against the wind on a safer line. Brilliant. And the putting surface condition was just fine.

4 pars
BB 1 - (Short) Terrific green offers varied pins and eases player into round
BB 9 - (Medium)Doggy right into a right to left quartering breeze. Back half of green is funky/falling away on all sides???
BB 11 - (Long) Everyone knows
D 5 - (Short) First hole playing into prevailing wind that really blows thru the dunes. Largish green. Relentless
D 12 - (Medium) Wall at landing zone's right. Large green with bunker in middle, but shaped so that most approaches will miss it. Great undulations. Sleeper hole away from dunes.
D 18 - (Long) Great closer. Fairway may be a bit too wide (7 yards), but a wonderful balance of shot shapes, visuals, and a cool, large green with a large swale at mid-left
L 9 - (Long) Fairway slopes hard to left, and if ball stays in fairway, the approach needs to cut into green off the hook lie. Tough.
L 10 - (Long) Made difficult by the wind behind and off left shoulder and doglegging left. Green up on shelf.
T 10 - (Long) Working downhill and to the left, this hole plays back into the prevailing wind, with a green that sits on a gentle rise up from the player. Almost a short 5 par
T 12 - Love this hole! Plays downhill and slightly right from tee, with wind from right. Scary approach is over a large gunge filled gulch to an elevated green. There is ample lay-up room, ample run-up area and ample room right to bail. Note on gunge gullies (12, 13, 16 tralee, 14 doonbeg, etc). If the clubs would mark the areas as hazards, you could simply drop balls at the edge and play on instead of the gruesome search-tedious wait-hideous lie-broken hand debacle that you have now

5 Pars
BB 16 - (Reachable) The highlight of the trip. A cool doggy left over dunes, with amazing grassed fwy bunkers left and up a hill thru dunes. A visual delight and a scary ride to great heights.
D 13 - (Reachable) An outstanding transition from the low ground (on the tee ball) to the perched green beyond 3 ghastly bunkers cut into hill. Feast or famine on the heroic approach.
L  12 - (Long) Curves beautifully along the beach and, downwind, offers an opportunity to just bash a tee ball and turn it on the right to left banked fwy. Green is one of the more accessible on course.
T 2 - (LONG!) Wish it came later in round, as it taxes the player early. Beautifully situated along the coast, with a dip in the landing zone that can make a great (and risky) shot even better. Forget that about later in the round: wish it came three times in the round!

Am sending this from the Delta SkyClub at JFK. What a great facility. Check it out next time ur in Terminal 4.

Final trip notes in next post.
It's all about the golf!

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2013, 08:36:37 PM »
John- what type of ball are you using with your hicks?  I got some hicks recently and have been using a Srixon soft feel ball.

John Percival

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2013, 05:14:04 AM »
John,

Enjoyed your daily reports. I just got back from almost the exact same trip on Sunday. I play at least half my golf with hickories. I have taken them to Scotland, the Netherlands and Australia. But I decided not to take them to Ireland. I look forward to your hicks vs tech report. You mentioned your grips, what were you referring to?

Cheers, Mike
Mike,
Have been told there are 'two' versions of hicks - the newer ones, which are quite well done and very uniform and the older ones, which are...old. Have a set of assembled old ones (different manufacturers different characteristics) and most have some sort of cloth grip or very old leather that is quite slick. Aint no golf prides on these boys. One even has a slightly bent shaft. Hey, that's ok. But had to use a lot of spit and massaging before every shot, and after 5 days, they were beat too.
Almost afraid to now play with my regular clubs. Could it be too easy?  ;)

John Percival

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2013, 05:41:41 AM »
To all about ur comments...thanx.
The nature of our site is "DISCUSSION GROUP". Key word being discussion.
The purpose of these Irish postings was to pass along my/our adventure in the hopes that the info will aid others if (and hopefully, when) they make the trip. For instance, we had no idea about Shannon airport and it's 'usability'. Our terrific experience and these posts should help others who travel. Etc.

This hurts to say..."I am not always right". L says I'm right once a day and I say I'm wrong once a month. But the use of facts will hopefully help others, especially those on their maiden voyage.

A few straggler notes:
   Wayne - thx for mentioning the styrofoam. I forgot to include in comments. Never seen that before. And ur right in that it looks weird (why black and not green?). But I LOVE the idea from a maintenance standpoint. Only need to cut holes every other day, thus keeping costs lower. Plus, you can see where pins will be the following day (if it's the day of the cutting).
   Josh - ur pic of BB #2 shows the wind blowing about 90 degrees different than when we played. Would really like to visit again (and longer) and play the courses in different wind speeds and directions.
   Tim - again, as an informative thread, wanted to let people know about the range so they can include it in their plans. For instance, some people are serious range rats and will spend much time there, especially trying to 'fix' problems that may occur during their stay, or spending time trying to get loose. Just letting them know the range conditions. But hey!, at least they have 'em. More than you can say for the Foot.

Final trip postings later today.

Jud_T

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2013, 06:35:33 AM »
Wayne,

Check out the retro balls made by the McIntyre Golf Company.  A bit pricey but very cool.

John,

I recently had my old hickories refurbished and regripped.  Not overly expensive and they look like they're new.  He was even able to straighten one of the original shafts.  Interestingly, I found playing with hickories actually helped my mechanics with modern clubs by curbing my tendency to overswing.  By trying to protect my old Tom Stewarts I just let the clubs do the work, a lesson we can all use.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 06:41:00 AM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Josh Bills

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2013, 07:25:07 AM »
Agree with visiting again, we stayed for a week and it just isn't long enough. We had great weather too and it only rained for about 5 holes at Waterville. We also played Old Head and Killarney Park. We stayed in Kinsale which was great and then Killarney, both lovely spots.  One of my favorite non golf items was watching my wife drink Middleton's Very Rare Irish Whiskey on the rocks and talking about how smooth it was, had never seen her drink whiskey before nor after. Really enjoyed your posts and hope to see some photos of your trip.

John Percival

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2013, 08:27:01 AM »
Wayne,

Check out the retro balls made by the McIntyre Golf Company.  A bit pricey but very cool.

John,

I recently had my old hickories refurbished and regripped.  Not overly expensive and they look like they're new.  He was even able to straighten one of the original shafts.  Interestingly, I found playing with hickories actually helped my mechanics with modern clubs by curbing my tendency to overswing.  By trying to protect my old Tom Stewarts I just let the clubs do the work, a lesson we can all use.
Jud,
Oops, forgot to answer a question about ball choice. Used the NXT. Purely a guess. Would have liked using a gutty, but had enough trouble convincing L on the hicks. Since the clubs are borrowed, cant really have them worked on. All in all, for no experience with the clubs and playing cses for first time, was very pleased.

And Josh, you mentioned the greatest part of any trip...your happy wife.
Again, to all, apologies for no pics.
This is not the final post. Just an effort to keep up with details omitted.
Final post later.

John Percival

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2013, 08:38:42 AM »
OOoooppssyyy. Keep forgetting the single greatest/stupidest thing on the trip. And if anyone can find the answer, there STILL cant be justification for it:

why in the world would you buy a lot at BB in the driving zone on #4, on the right side of the fairway, with a prevailing left to right wind??!!?? Why not paint a gigantoid target on the place? The roof had about 300 mortar marks and one can only imagine how many windows have been smashed. All I could think of was Dean Werner (sp?) in Caddyshack sitting at his desk and having the golf ball smash into the room and break the water glass  :D :D :D

John Percival

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2013, 08:58:20 AM »
Yikes. Forgot something else.
Clothing comment - wore long underwear under rain pants, except on the two days when the weather was 'practically guaranteed' to be warm. Then wore regular pants only with rain pants in tow. Had buttons for suspenders put on pants as the slippy fabric was always sliding. The suspenders worked great! And the long underwear/rain pants combo was very comfortable.

John Percival

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2013, 09:14:54 PM »
The trip's final post (unless responding to other's posts)...
...first of all, knucklehead alert! The Dean Werner scene was in Animal House, not Caddieshack. Duh. Apologies to Otter, Flounder and Amadeus, er, Pinto.

Now a very serious point: driving in Ireland. If ur gonna consider it, be mindful of
   sitting on the opposite car side (make sure that rental is an automatic)
   driving on the opposite side
   roads to and near the golf destinations as narrow as sidewalks
   ZERO shoulders on 98% of roads
   tractors, combines, lawnmowers, wagons and all other assorted farm vehicles
   tour buses coming at you that dont slow down (the drivers are all flashing a big smile as they blow past  ;D)
   cows, horses, chickens, geese, dogs, goats, sheep, bunnies, raccoons, fox and other assorted critters
   many sidewalks, er roads, that have as much undulation as a golf hole in the dunes
   general absence of streetlights
   sporadic road signage, especially identifying which sidewalk, er road, that you are on
   AND WORST OF ALL, the bushes, tall grass, walls, trees, flowers (though they are beautiful), etc that completely block any view    you have when going around a bend. And the roads bend a lot. Every turn is an adventure.

If you are considering driving, you better have game and some 'stones'.

Finally, a short recap of Ireland
   Three best parts of trip (not in order)    1. Shannon Airport    2. Doonbeg (and all the Irish people)     3. The golf
Worst part of trip    Not long enough

Simplest way to evaluate a trip..."would you go back?" L and I definitely would. And we will.

John Percival

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2013, 02:31:13 AM »
Have received numerous questions about Ireland v Scotland golf.
Character - Ireland (at least the courses we played) The dunes and landscape are a bit more compelling
Playability - Scotland - The gunge in Ireland is way nasty. The gorse in Scotland is way nasty. More gunge in Ireland and more open access greens in Scotland
Conditioning - Hard to compare, as our Irish trip was during great weather and our Scottish trip was during monsoon season. In both instances, conditions were very good. The brownish hue of Scottish photos belies a terrific and tight turf
Accommodations - Both equally excellent
Reception - Both equally, and genuinely, warm
Roads/driving - Both equally brutal and horrifying
Accents - Laura had no problem. For me, Scottish English is kjashvwiuehbgi

William_G

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2013, 08:45:09 AM »
Yikes. Forgot something else.
Clothing comment - wore long underwear under rain pants, except on the two days when the weather was 'practically guaranteed' to be warm. Then wore regular pants only with rain pants in tow. Had buttons for suspenders put on pants as the slippy fabric was always sliding. The suspenders worked great! And the long underwear/rain pants combo was very comfortable.

yikes! we were there from the 3rd-7th and it was shorts weather everyday...very balmy all day and into the evenings as well...the weather made the trip for the 8 of us on our tour of SW Ireland...beautiful!!  8)

would love to see how nasty it gets in winter when Mother Nature pounds the dunes  :o

hope the golf there lasts another century
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back