News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Percival

Irish Trip: Doonbeg - Day 1
« on: September 01, 2013, 06:23:12 AM »
My wife and I are in Ireland for 6 days. Will be playing only SW Irish courses. Thus, will be staying at Doonbeg for the entire trip.

Left Detroit at noon for LaGuardia. Spent day in NYC. Flew from JFK overnight to Shannon. Great way to soften trip (and have Nobu for lunch).

1. Shannon Airport is outstanding as an entry. Small, yet efficient. Easy entry into country and close to courses and accommodations.
2. Driving on the left is not so bad. Toughest parts are the roundabouts. Well, maybe the toughest part are the sidewalks disguised as roads. Lots of shrub scraping on the car's left side.
3. A navigation guide makes the journey a snap. Absolutely foolproof (and it amuses Laura)
4. Our first day is no golf, but eat, drink and some practice. Range is weird, as the balls are almost rationed? Limitless, but rationed.
5. The accommodations are FANTASTIC. Modern building with timeless feel. Modern amenities with timeless nuances (the doorbell is a ringer on a plunger cord). Great central location for all SW courses. One unpacking only!
6. Why does Laura keep asking what day/time it is? Not drunk (yet)

Day 2
Breakfast at The Long Room was delicious. More delicious, the view out to the 18th green and the Sea.

Off to course. 12:30ish tee time. L wants more shots for our match. Always the negotiator. (Damn MBA)
Final note - brought hickories only for the trip. Classic clubs for classic courses.

John Percival

Re: Irish Trip: Doonbeg - Day 1
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 04:48:05 PM »
Doonbeg - Day 2

Forgot to mention our itinerary:
Doonbeg
Tralee
Lahinch
Ballybunion
Doonbeg

Our round today was greeted by 'good' Irish weather, cloudy, mid 60's and about a 20 mph wind. Will reserve comments on all courses' conditions til our trip has concluded. Will comment on the architecture of Doonbeg...
...really enjoyed it. The routing of out and back has the obvious problem of wind direction repetition on many holes, but there is some tacking in the routing to address that. Also, liked how the holes played into and along the dunes. Most of you know that a large section of amazing dunes are off-limits for environmental purposes. Pity, as that area has the most massive hills and sort of 'breaks' the course routing. That said, the effort then should be commended for what they were able to achieve. The longish tee walks on the final two holes are almost unavoidable, and the walk to 18 is my first across an active fairway (the 1st).
The driving areas are generous, with the holes tightening near the green. The bunkering is beautiful to the eye and penal to play (was not in any, but tossed a couple of balls in some of the more interesting ones). The fine sand is necessary to allow steep swings for escape and they are dressed with ragged and scary turf along the high points.
Greens ranged from benign to massively undulating. Personal hole favorites are 5 (double bogey), 9 (par), 10 (par), 13 (par), 14 (par), and 15 (X!).
Lost to Laura 1 up. Broke my wedge hitting approach on #6. Marty, you were right. Hope that's the last one.
Early rising for Tralee tomorrow.
Check back in Monday night.

John Percival

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 02:26:01 PM »
Day 3
Tralee

First of all, it is a jaunt from Doonbeg to Tralee. 20 minutes to the ferry (across the Shannon River), 25 minute ferry ride, and then another 45 minutes to Tralee. We hired a driver. Not inexpensive, but worth it, as it allowed us some comfort before tackling the course and a nap on the return.

The course...LOVED IT. A collection of interior holes interspersed with many coastal/dunes holes. Relatively wide on the tee ball and a bit wider near greens than at Doonbeg (and with a bit less grunge near the greens). The greens have a wide and rolling character and the bunkers are tamer than Doonbeg's (but then, almost ALL bunkers are tamer than Doonbeg's). There are some forced carries into greens (12, 13, 15 and 16) but each has some extra width to accommodate. Laura's caddie (Connor) was helpful at course strategy (bounces) and reading greens. Our weather was quite nice, with the ever present wind (20 mph) and Laura once again prevailed in our match 1 up. For the record, she had 8 pars on the front. Fun to watch. My favorite holes are 2 (par), 3 (par), 10 (bogey), 12 (scary bogey) and 16 (bogey). Found the 17th green in a difficult position, when a spot left, nestled lower in the dunes would be more playable and scenic.
Just a reminder, will be commenting on course conditions at the conclusion of our trip.
Had a great soak at the Doonbeg Spa.
Off to Darby's for dinner.
Tomorrow, the goats at Lahinch.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 02:42:45 PM »
Enjoying your posts John... Enjoy tonight & tomorrow.

Ally

Patrick Glynn

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 05:10:54 AM »
Nice write-ups so far - I only played Tralee for the first time a few weeks ago (in the company of a great man) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Lahinch should be fun today - quite a nice day & a relatively gentle southerly wind (makes the Par 5s long, and the long par 4s short!).

Patrick  

Josh Bills

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 08:37:57 AM »
John,

Enjoying the reminder of my trip to Ireland in 2002.  One of my favorites from Tralee was the par 3, 13th hole.  While short, just a great looking hole in my opinion. 

Steve_Lemmon

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 09:03:53 AM »
For a fun evening 9 try Spanish Point, not far from where you are staying.  Over a hundred years old and short, perfect for hickories. 

Keith Grande

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 09:04:24 AM »
John,

You will be walking through another teeing area on Lahinch as well - on the way to 18 tee (I believe), you cross the tee box on the Dell hole.

Also, you will enjoy teeing off on Ballybunnion #3, as the tee box is situated behind the 2nd green.  If you have time, try to play the Cashen course at Ballybunion for a nominal fee.  Tough back nine with blind and tight tee shots.  #17 is a great hole.  If you are using a caddie ask for Liam, tell him Keith and the guys from New York recommended you.  After the round, if you are looking for an authentic Irish pub, try the "Railroad Bar" or something like that.  It's right in town near the course.  Lots of friendly locals.

John Percival

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 07:51:51 PM »
Day 4 - Lahinch

Before course comments, some misc notes:
   for everyone who hires a driver, listen to them. When you're told to go, fold it up and go, especially if you need the ferry. It doesn't wait and only takes 50 +/- cars. Most importantly, the last trip is at 9:30 PM. Then, it's 130 miles around the Shannon. And it aint interstate. When Vincent (yesterday's driver) was telling us that and other stories, L and I laughed so hard, we almost had to stop. And PLEASE if you get to the slip 7 minutes early, PLEASE don't be the guy who says "we coulda left later".
   bears repeating - the hot tubs at Doonbeg's Spa are incredible. Individual sized, with jets that will soothe that 18 hole, Irish hills burn.

On to Lahinch. The day's weather was almost perfect. Sunny, high 60's and 15-20 mph breeze. Finally won a match w/ Laura, 1 up.
Now, time to get a bunch of people's knickers in a knot...HATED IT!
Just wait, will give some reasons.
First, if you're going to have 8 blind or semi-blind holes, don't run out of yardage books. Better yet, DON'T have 8 blind or semi-blind holes.
Plus, steeply fronted greens and canted fairways.
As this post (typing) is being difficult, will list the front nine w/ comments and post back nine notes later:
  #1 - seriously elevated green requires very flighted approach (2 putt par)
  #2 - terrific 5 par with fairway slope that rewards aggressive tee balls with extra distance (2 putt par)
  #3 - Blind and very elevated tee shot. Large break in fairway. Good green (2 putt par)
  #4 - Semi goofy tee ball, completely blind second. Interesting green with nasty back, left pin (2 putt-whiffed birdie-par)
  #5 - Dell - C'mon!? (2 putt par)
  #6 - Semi-blind tee ball and huge break in fairway. Very cool green, but what the hell with the break? (Bogey)
  #7 - Almost the same tee ball as #3 and an steeply fronted green that forces a carry downwind. Lucky pin was back (2 putt par)
  #8 - Similar green to #7, the approach is longer, but at a sharp incline, so shots wont run up or stop when flown on (Bogey)
  #9 - Neat view and cool green, but fairway cants to left so hard that tee shots run into rough, leaving fliers for elevated approach (2 putt par)

Please understand, L and I were very excited to play Lahinch and then, even more disappointed.
Someone's gotta say it.."The Emperor has no clothes"
Will post more in a bit when typing is easier.

John Percival

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 02:52:05 AM »
Thx to all for your suggestions. Should have asked before our trip.
Thx for your comments.
Keith, will ask for Liam today.

Back nine at Lahinch
  #10 Strong hole, but severe slope fronts green (Bogey)
  #11 Ok 3 par, but Mac green looks more interesting and fits into walk flow better (Up and down par)
  #12 Very cool 5 par along beach/gunge. Stupid aggressive tee shot. Re-load. Second (4th) over green. (Double bogey)
  #13 Semi-blind (to fairway) tee ball. With prevailing wind into, just dink tee shot and pitch to large green. Cool back pin. (2putt par)
  #14 Strong driving hole, but very penal approach. Would be far better with one mound before green at a flank. (Bogey)
  #15 Almost plagiarized #10. Strong, but semi-blind tee ball. Same elevated green as 10 (Bogey)
  #16 Beautiful 3 par. Stupid front bunker makes holding green almost impossible. (Up and down par from back bunker)
  #17 Blind tee ball. 5 feet right of fairway. Almost unplayable. Hack 20 feet. Neat green. (Bogey)
  #18 Fun closer. Tee ball crosses Dell and Klondyke. Second shot pin high right and short-sided, but the road is left! (2 putt par)
Keyboard acting up again.
Back for more comments in a bit

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 04:40:18 AM »
Let the debate commence....

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 05:04:02 AM »

Ally

There are some quite severe holes on the front 9, but I think all are playable.  I spose folks either think they add variety or stink the place up. I think this stretch makes Lahinch very special.  About the only feature I really question on that 3-7 stretch is the pit on the 6th.  It should be all sand and no rough.  I intensely dislike blind trouble (in this case rough) where I have to look for a ball after hitting it anywhere close to down the middle. I have minor quibbles about stuff on the back nine except for the new 11th.  Its an okay hole, but Mac's hole is far more interesting.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark_F

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 05:14:38 AM »

I don't get the semi-goofy tee ball comment on Lahinch 4.  It's surely about a perfect a 475 yard par five you could ask for.  
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:16:27 AM by Mark Ferguson »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 05:15:22 AM »

I intensely dislike blind trouble (in this case rough) where I have to look for a ball after hitting it anywhere close to down the middle.

A man after my own heart... Couldn't agree more. The odd blind bunker is perfectly acceptable but blind rough is just an annoyance. Looking for a ball after hitting what you thought was the perfect shot (but couldn't see the end result) is not a pleasant experience.

That said, I quite like the pit on the 6th at Lahinch. It is in such a confined area that you shouldn't be searching for long. And it is unique. So I give it a pass for that fact alone.

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 05:26:45 AM »
I don't mind the pit, its the rough in the pit which is annoying.  Its stupid to be twisting ankles looking for a ball on sloping land in ankle deep rough when the ball went down the middle on a blind drive.  Though, I will say its original - tee hee.

Do you know the story behind the pit?  It looks really freaky to me.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tim Pitner

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 09:45:57 AM »
I can see some quibbles with Lahinch but to describe it as the "Emperor has no clothes" seems more than a little much.  (Caveat that I haven't seen the recent changes).  Blind shots are only blind once.  

Keith Grande

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 02:14:29 PM »
I'm wondering if you would have enjoyed it more if you had a caddy.

John Percival

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 03:53:29 PM »
Ok, guys. To qualify...
...of course the shot is only blind once. However, how many people/guests play it just once?
More importantly, as there are shots astray on most holes and some severe/dense grass to look, it is not uncommon for a group to be searching in the blind area for some time, and I don't relish smashing a tee ball into someone. THAT is my greatest concern on blind shots. Interesting at #4 there is a forecaddie to signal play. Why not at 3, 5, 6 or 7? In fact, I submit that the tee ball at 7 is far more dangerous than the second at 4, as it is arriving on a flatter and faster level and people are in play almost 100 yards deep in the landing zone.
At #4, why not widen the fairway 10 yards and add some bunkers to frame?

My simple rule for quirky holes - 1, maybe two per nine and no more than three per course.

Will contrast Lahinch with today's round at Ballybunion.
On my next post.
First, dinner/shower and some snuggling w/ Laura. she needs some hugs...she lost AGAIN today.

Jason Topp

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 04:23:08 PM »
Ok, guys. To qualify...
...of course the shot is only blind once. However, how many people/guests play it just once?
More importantly, as there are shots astray on most holes and some severe/dense grass to look, it is not uncommon for a group to be searching in the blind area for some time, and I don't relish smashing a tee ball into someone. THAT is my greatest concern on blind shots. Interesting at #4 there is a forecaddie to signal play. Why not at 3, 5, 6 or 7? In fact, I submit that the tee ball at 7 is far more dangerous than the second at 4, as it is arriving on a flatter and faster level and people are in play almost 100 yards deep in the landing zone.
At #4, why not widen the fairway 10 yards and add some bunkers to frame?

My simple rule for quirky holes - 1, maybe two per nine and no more than three per course.

Will contrast Lahinch with today's round at Ballybunion.
On my next post.
First, dinner/shower and some snuggling w/ Laura. she needs some hugs...she lost AGAIN today.

Looking forward to this comparison.  I think a strong case can be made that Lahinch is the better of the two courses.  I am rooting for Laura!   :)

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 04:26:22 PM »
I was over a couple of weeks ago and stayed at Doonbeg, played Doonbeg twice and Lahinch once  (it was a semi-business trip and Ballybunion was not available).  My only issue with Lahinch was that it took 5 hours to play the round as we couldn't get a tee time until late afternoon.   I loved the quirkiness.  I didn't have my own caddie but we did have some interesting caddies in our group that made it fun.

John Percival

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 06:31:02 PM »
Ooh wee, is this gonna get touchy...
More notes on Lahinch.
Laura takes a caddy and she was served well by Kirian (sp?).
Because he, 'a'hole alert!', didn't understand an advanced player. Even one playing hickories.

Questions about flighting of shots, angles of approach into slopes and curved shots with and into the breeze were beyond him. AND THAT IS NOT CRITICISM. It's just a fact. So, he was little help in strategy, and even gave 'incorrect' info for my game. Combine that with the quirky layout and the ever present wind and you have a lot of quality shots that went awry. Or such confusion before a shot that the swing was riddled with doubt (cliché alert).

Again, one hole per nine is ok for funky. And there should be some accommodation for the funk. Guessing on almost 2 of every three holes is too much.
Not to backpedal, but Lahinch was very firm due to such dry weather. Perhaps if it was softer.
And, not to drag L into it, but she feels the same way about Lahinch. And remember, she had 8 pars on Tralee's front nine, so she's got some chops.

Promise, next post on Ballybunion.
Sneak peak - liked it!
Well, most of it.

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 08:42:24 PM »

Rules for quirky holes? ;) ;)

Glad you're enjoying the spa ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Percival

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 03:25:40 AM »
Just spent an hour on the Ballybunion post and then, POOF, it was gone. What happened? Third time this trip that has occurred in some manner. This was the worst.
Must re-collect thoughts and will try again later.

For now, a ferry comment...if it is 30 miles from the ferry ports each way to Limerick (VERY conservative estimate), then it becomes a 60 mile trip each way. Remember, we are staying at Doonbeg. The travel is on white-knuckle roads and if one makes the roundabout jouney, then the ferry nap is lost! Also, if one gets 30 mpg, then the trip would use 4 gallons of fuel. At about 6 euros per gallon, the cost of the trip would be 24 euros. The round-trip ferry cost is 28 euros. Would gladly take the ferry for 2 euros per crossing.

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 03:42:18 AM »
I think if you include downtime waiting for the ferry, either way is about the same time - 2:45ish?  No matter, its a long way from Doonbeg!

Ciao

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 04:17:40 AM »
I've done Lahinch to BallyBee via the ferry and reckon it is under 2 hours... Always find a ferry adds to the adventure anyway...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back