News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Nash

Sunningdale - A Glorious Day Out - Not Many Words Needed!
« on: August 29, 2013, 04:09:55 PM »
Played 36 at Sunningdale on Tuesday in lovely weather and just wanted to share some photos - provided I can figure out how to post them! Few words needed but my quick observations are:

-It is probably the best day out in the UK that I have experienced
-The lunch was a clear couple of couple of notches behind the best -  The Berkshire and RSG - as well as Swinley and Hankley
The New is quite a bit better than the old - more highs and fewer lows - i.e. 2 world class par 3s (5 and 10), one very good one and the other (17) not-bad-at-all hole that could be improved with better aesthetics (more heather etc) - compared to the Old with only one out of four superb short holes (the fourth)
-There is too much gorse in play - one of the worst culprits is the 7th Old - a word class par 4 - but gorse on the punchbowl bank behind the green 2-feet from the putting surface - more dodgy placements on several holes like 1 and 17
-The recent tree clearance on 10 New is mind blowing - one of the best holes in the world - simply stunning - it is one high after the next from early on
-There is less weakness in the last 8 holes on New (I had only played 10 previously) than I was led to believe - very little actually - 11 and 12 keep the awesome world-class golf going that started very early in the round - 1-3 on the New are very good holes - I wasn't sure first time - but 4-12 is the best stretch of holes I have ever seen. 13 is not bad - and probably better than 14 on the Old (one of two average, given the quality on site, par 5s on Old). 14 New is a stunning par 3 and 15 another very strong par 4. I wasn't too keen on the drive on 16 but still a very nice hole when in the main fairway - a bit of tree clearance would turn this into another top-notch hole, maybe with a slightly rised tee. 17 and 18 are the weakest holes on the New - and both could be easily improved. Tree clearance on 18, both sides would be a great step forward - especially those horrible laylandii's that shield the Old 18th tee
-Is Sunny Old better than Berkshire Red - I am inclined to think Berkshire Red is actually the better course

Here goes on the pictures from 4 on New - with a couple of iconic shots of the Old at the end

4 New

5 New

6 New

7 New

8 New

9 New

10 New - Wow!

11 New

12 New

13 New

14 New

15 New

16 New

17 New

18 New

5 Old

7 Old

10 Old

Dean Stokes

Re: Sunningdale - A Glorious Day Out - Not Many Words Needed!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 04:14:50 PM »
What a day and how beautiful do those courses look? I suspect a few on here will comment on narrowness ;D For me I am reminded of Bandon Trails somewhat just looking at the grass, topography and trees.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Paul Nash

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 04:18:30 PM »
It was a very unplanned snapping session and they are all done on my phone - Samsung Galaxy S4 - pretty impressed with the quality and they seem to be as good as my compact Panasonic!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 04:33:11 PM »
Dean,

the narrowness was the first thing that struck me. Is it really as narrow as the pics look?

Other than that, looks great even though they dropped the knee length sock rule ;D

Jon

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 04:53:26 PM »
Many thanks Paul, I 've been getting alittle jaded with all the photo threads, but those just make you want to play there.

Anyone else free 17th October?  I could make enquiries.  ;)
Let's make GCA grate again!

David_Elvins

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 05:45:47 PM »
The narrowness of the New was a disapointment for me because with a bit more room off the fairway AND around the greens, it would be one of my favorite courses in the world.

I agree with Paul on the stretch of 4-12.  One of the best 9 hole stretches of golf anywhere.

The first 7 holes on the old course is also an amazing group of golf holes, imo.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 07:07:18 AM »
Being a UK'er and not having played Sunningdale I cannot but help feel like I have missed out...

If the course is anything like Bandon Trails, which I played last month, then that's flattery indeed.

It's a shame they don't do discounted packages for 36 or some such other deal...?!

Great pics!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 01:12:23 PM »
Being a UK'er and not having played Sunningdale I cannot but help feel like I have missed out...
If the course is anything like Bandon Trails, which I played last month, then that's flattery indeed.
It's a shame they don't do discounted packages for 36 or some such other deal...?!
Great pics!

Greg,

Last winter Sunningdale had a 'special winter deal' of £150 to play both courses in the same day. I guess this would call for being careful with tee-times given what available daylight there is, plus of course, having £150 to hand!
All the best

RichMacafee

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 10:27:28 PM »
I was just there for 36 holes a month ago. I preferred the Old course, and the reason was how narrow the New course was from the tee.

I also think the New photographs slightly better than it plays. The lines off the tee on the new would obviously be more apparent on repeat play, but I really did feel there were more strategic options off the tee on the Old.

Splitting hairs a bit, and 36 hole courses will always be judged against each other. A spectacular day of golf, and clearly in a different league to The Berkshire, where I also played 36.

Having never played English heathland golf before, I was blown away by the undulation in the properties. For some reason I was expecting the courses to be a lot flatter
"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf. It's almost law" H.G.Wells.

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 09:34:41 PM »
I had the good fortune to play 36 holes at Sunningdale on Labor Day.  Finest 36 holes at same club I've ever played.  The only thing I'd add is that the greens were rolling as true as I can recall greens rolling.  Kudos to the super.

Ash Towe

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 10:02:02 PM »
I played both courses a couple of months ago albeit on separate days.

It is a lot of money but the courses are presented beautifully.  The staff are very welcoming and the whole experience is excellent.

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 07:58:29 AM »
Paul

Thanks for the pix.  Its interesting how the same land can generate quite different courses.  Part of that is due to the test of which I think the New is superior, but at the price of narrow corridors here and there.  Overall, I think the Old is better by a fair margin, but it doesn't much matter as both are great.  Its sad that both are out of my price range. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 08:04:13 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Chris Mavros

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 09:11:45 AM »
Thanks for posting the photos.  Sunningdale is on my short list when I'm able to get across the pond; two very good courses with all world holes on both.  I've heard more about the Old, but the New looks interesting, seeming to demandi quite a bit of accuracy off the tee.

Murray Long

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 01:10:52 PM »
Thank you for the feedback on Sunningdale, good observation on the 17th New the work to the carry was delayed from 2 years ago and will be taking place mid October.
There has already been some turf stripping on the right side that you would not have seen but the heather is coming back really well, the carry will some interesting shaping running from about 30 yards out from the apron and the green front will be slightly expanded to enhance the false front.
The tree work has been quite extensive on the New over the past 8 years, but moved onto the Old last Winter, it is important to keep the character of the two courses, but tree thinning on the old will enhance the turf surfaces and show of the fantastic undulations that have been hidden by the trees.

Murray

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 11:02:11 AM »
Playing the New course on October 3rd, very excited having seen these picures.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 11:54:49 AM »
Paul,

Thanks so much for posting these - I just purchased an S4 myself recently so am pleased with the quality that camera can produce! I know some on this site are jaded of all the photo tours but there can never be enough photos of Sunningdale on the site so thanks for adding to the archives.

I don't know whether it's a reaction to the fact that the Old is the more famous course and so comes with higher expectations, but it really surprises me how few seem to favour the Old over the New. I would say Sean has it right in saying the Old is better by a fair margin. As others have pointed out, the width is an issue on the New (in my opinion, anyway), but, regardless of that, the Old has so much more variety, fun and strategy off the tee. I also think the greens on the Old are fantastic and a really underrated set. They may not have the more bold internal contours of the New, but they are every bit as interesting if not more so because of the tilt - lots of holes running away from you as well which is a feature I would like to see a lot more of in other courses. 3 driveable par 4s may be a bit much for some, but I think it is one of the key things that sets it apart from the New from the perspective of my own enjoyment of the course - they generate far more interest than mid or long range par 4s so why not have a generous sprinkling of them? I also think the Old is more beautiful and the ambience in that stretch from 3-7 is amazing. I find myself constantly doing 360s asking myself is there a more perfect place on the planet!

36 holes at Sunningdale should be the number one priority of visiting golfers coming to England. It's probably my favourite place in all of golf and I'm glad I live so near to it - just wish the pricing meant playing there was more of a regular occasion as opposed to a yearly treat.

Brian, where would put Swinley versus the Old and New...?

I know you love Swinley, but I'm curious to hear how they stack up in your mind?!

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 12:26:36 PM »
I would be interested to hear Murray's evealuation of Swinley evrsus the two Sunningdale courses, if bias can be overlooked ;)

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 12:29:50 PM »
I have always had issues with Swinley's conditioning - it has never been up to scratch for the price of the green fee.  More than that, the conditions let the design down.  Despite what I think is a better design, I don't see Swinley being any better than Sunny New.  Sunny Old is comfortably on top, however, if Swinley ever got it together, I think it may compete with Sunny Old.  There are top notch holes; 4, 9, 12, 17 & 18 - and not close to a weak one in the bunch even though I think the short 4s are a bit wanting.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

David_Elvins

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 08:21:19 PM »
I think whether you prefer the New or the Old depends on how you look at architecture.  

If you judge a course on what is there in the ground right now then the narrowness of the New means you would probably favour the Old.  But if you judge a course on the "bones" with less regar for set up, then I think you would prefer the New.  

IMO The New has a grandness of scale than all the world's best courses have. It has the potential to be one of the world's very best courses.  I don't think the Old has this grand scale or potential.  The first 7 holes are fantastic but after that 8, 9, 11,an 13 seem a bit cramped for room.  And the re-routing of 17 and 18 leaves them feeling a bit jammed in too.  

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 02:49:18 AM »
Tony if you can make a visit before 13th Oct I'd be very happy to have a final heavily discounted emergency services green fee!
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back